Bill Maher editorial about the Republican Base (Read: Base)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SirStev0
These "tea parties" didn't accomplish anything but make a bunch of people look foolish and give Jon Stewart a week of material.
They were a joke because they came off as paranoid sore losers.

Stewart will never give a fair portrayal of Republicans or conservatives. It's just what he does on his show. It's a part of the political "game". And people need to be smart enough *not* to look to Stewart for actual news reporting.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: SirStev0
These "tea parties" didn't accomplish anything but make a bunch of people look foolish and give Jon Stewart a week of material.
They were a joke because they came off as paranoid sore losers.

Stewart will never give a fair portrayal of Republicans or conservatives. It's just what he does on his show. It's a part of the political "game". And people need to be smart enough *not* to look to Stewart for actual news reporting.

I agree. Same with Talk Radio and Fox News.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Bill Maher? Perhaps he should stick to comedy. I may tend to be a bit more liberal these days, but not enough to have to hold my nose when voting R, as I have done in the past. It is all about the candidate, not the party. Cutting through Bill Maher's FUD about them, he does have a point. The Republican Party as a whole has lost its direction, and now must rediscover itself. They are slipping more and more into a reactionary party as opposed to one with actual, legitimate ideas that will help move this country forward. Clinging to guns/religion/anti-illegal sentiment? /facepalm. If anything, they are clinging to Reagan's ghost while listening to Rush a little too often. There are bigger forces at work here when it comes to the current decline of the Republicans...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
When Bill Maher begins with "I still don't know what those "Tea Bag" protests were for" that's as far as anyone needs to read. Maher is a douchebag.

Fair enough. Here's a question for you:

Why then, for the eight years of the Bush administration when deficit spending was at it's peak and we were paying for two wars and the budget surplus was frittered away - where were the protests then? Why were there no mass movements to curb government spending at that time?

You don't think it smacks of hypocrisy and partisan bitterness when these faux grassroots protests are staged less than 100 days after a Democrat is elected?
Deficit spending was not at its peak during those years though.

In terms of GDP most of Bush's deficits were below the 60? year average.

And compared to what Obama is proposing Bush's deficits are practically nothing.

Medicare Part D ALONE added $8 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities, ie: future debt. Not a tea party in sight! Obama adds $1 trillion?! Tea parties everywhere!

Remember though guys, this wasn't a Republican party thing. Nosiree!
There were a lot of Republicans who were unhappy with Medicare Part D.

Medicare part D was passed on largely party line votes, with the Republicans ramming it through.

How can you explain what you wrote and I bolded, considering Medicare Part D?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
If there is one thing I've learned the past few years, is to *never* listen to any liberal's assessment of the Republican Party. And Maher is about as liberal as they come. He would never vote for a Republican no matter what they do, so why should he have any influence on the direction of the party?

And the bolded part is exactly why the Republican Party has failed, imo. They label everything other than Fox News and talk radio as "liberal" and thus never hear any opinions other than their own. You can't grab the middle doing that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: microbial
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
but yet just 4 years ago, and 8 years before that, the Dumocraps were bitching about rigged elections, stumbling words, etc... no one seems to ever go "oh, when people lose, they go into personal attack mode"

Both parties sling so much shit at each other it isnt funny...

but i will be lambasted for that on this completely D biased board.

I think what Maher was getting at, and rightly so-- is the triviality, and limp-wristedness of those attacks.

The sum total of everything the right has thrown at Obama so-far amounts to "we got nothing"

The teleprompter thing was as pussy as you can possibly get.

Next scandal will be that he doesn't wear a flag lapel pin--which proves he's not a true and loyal torturer.

It's because the liberal media selectively reports on only those criticisms that they deem as "laughable". It's not much different than the "Oh my Gosh Sarah Palin wears clothes bought from a store!!!! Oh Noes, the Horrors!!!!"

The Republicans have alternative solutions on just about every issue. Their problem is that the liberal media refuses to give them a voice. Their other problem is they lost the election and have virtually no say in anything Washington does.

Why don't any of those alternative solutions ever get argued here?

Why are the arguments from the "Conservatives" here the same as reported by the "Liberal" media?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The Republicans are pissed because they believed Rove had made a permanent Republican government. Then, it collapsed around their ears and they never really saw it coming. The fall of their equivalent of a Thousand Year Reich left them dazed and confused.

They are currently leaderless. I'm guessing that no one wants to bet their political bankroll yet by assuming the responsibility for a party of the lost until they at least find some direction.

All they can think to do is attack and obstruct, hoping to strike a cord somewhere that will demonstrate where they might gather strength. Flailing about like a blind boxer.

As far as I've seen, they have no real alternate plans. They keep saying they do, but never really present anything of substance. A point here, and a point there, but no plan, no agreement amongst themselves.

Gathering the groups of "single issue voters" is not enough anymore. Too many young people are in the mix now that reject the idea of single issue voting. Besides, they have seen how ludicrous some of these issues have been made by the past Republican leadership. Their actions regarding Terry Schaivo alone made them look like clowns on the "right to life" issue. Bush's own record of capitol punishment was pretty hard to shoehorn into that same policy. Claiming that gay marriage/unions would destroy traditional marriages was a fool's errand. They made a joke out of their "States rights" issue by demanding Constitutional amendments for far too many things, even silly ones about flag burning. Any issue that they made a big deal about came down to religion. Forget common sense, science, or fair play. Ten Commandments = religion, abortion = religion, anti-gay = religion, creationism in science class = religion.

Republicans no longer have enough to say that their stuff is better than their stuff. They need to get some new, improved stuff to get back on top. And so far, they haven't figured out what that stuff is.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Balt
If there is one thing I've learned the past few years, is to *never* listen to any liberal's assessment of the Republican Party. And Maher is about as liberal as they come. He would never vote for a Republican no matter what they do, so why should he have any influence on the direction of the party?

And the bolded part is exactly why the Republican Party has failed, imo. They label everything other than Fox News and talk radio as "liberal" and thus never hear any opinions other than their own. You can't grab the middle doing that.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but that opinion is wrong. The strategy of the Democrats is to divide America into groups and come up with a plan to benefit each group. You have the black vote, the latino vote, the homosexual vote, the soccer mom vote, the Wal*Mart shopper vote, etc.

Republicans lose when they play that game. Republicans win when they can unify and explain how conservative principles are in the best interests of all Americans.

But you look at the Republicans left in the Federal Government, and how many of them can you say were true conservatives over the last 8 years? That is why they lost.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski

Why are the arguments from the "Conservatives" here the same as reported by the "Liberal" media?

Because it's AT P&N, when's the last time there was an actual intellectual discussion around here amongst anyone? :p

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but that opinion is wrong. The strategy of the Democrats is to divide America into groups and come up with a plan to benefit each group. You have the black vote, the latino vote, the homosexual vote, the soccer mom vote, the Wal*Mart shopper vote, etc.

Republicans lose when they play that game. Republicans win when they can unify and explain how conservative principles are in the best interests of all Americans.

But you look at the Republicans left in the Federal Government, and how many of them can you say were true conservatives over the last 8 years? That is why they lost.

I would agree with your middle paragraph, but that's become increasingly difficult for them to do.

The Republican party hasn't been truly conservative since Eisenhower. Every time 'true' conservative candidates run outside of an individual congressional district, they lose and lose badly. America doesn't want true conservatism, and it's shown time and time again.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

The demographics game is as old as politics itself. I don't really see your point, other than saying Republicans are losing at it, which does not preclude what I said.

If they want to win elections they need a broader base, and they won't get it by sticking their hand in the sand and ignoring all criticism. They won't get that criticism if they label everything but their supporters as evil liberals. Their demographic base isn't as powerful as they believe it is.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Because it's AT P&N, when's the last time there was an actual intellectual discussion around here amongst anyone? :p

Start a Thread. All the "conservatives" do is regurgitate the same points you blame on the Media. This forum is your opporunity to discuss others things, yet they never get discussed. Perhaps it's because the Media is simply reporting the Facts.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

The demographics game is as old as politics itself. I don't really see your point, other than saying Republicans are losing at it, which does not preclude what I said.

If they want to win elections they need a broader base, and they won't get it by sticking their hand in the sand and ignoring all criticism. They won't get that criticism if they label everything but their supporters as evil liberals. Their demographic base isn't as powerful as they believe it is.

It's a very odd siege mentality and I don't know what causes it. I blame rock music ;)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Originally posted by: microbial
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
but yet just 4 years ago, and 8 years before that, the Dumocraps were bitching about rigged elections, stumbling words, etc... no one seems to ever go "oh, when people lose, they go into personal attack mode"

Both parties sling so much shit at each other it isnt funny...

but i will be lambasted for that on this completely D biased board.

I think what Maher was getting at, and rightly so-- is the triviality, and limp-wristedness of those attacks.

The sum total of everything the right has thrown at Obama so-far amounts to "we got nothing"

The teleprompter thing was as pussy as you can possibly get.

Next scandal will be that he doesn't wear a flag lapel pin--which proves he's not a true and loyal torturer.

3.5 trillion dollar budget and doubling of the debt.. THATS what we got..

YES!! Isn`t it wonderful your Bosom buddy Bush is not in office!!! Yippee!!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

certainly not in any thread you participated in...hahaaaa

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I started to read it, but what a waste of time.

Might as well listen to what Craig has to say about the how the Republican Party can become a better party.

Also, it always amazes me how you left wing people point to others on the left and talk about how we should listen to their advice. If we listened to their advice we would no long be Republicans!!!!!

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I started to read it, but what a waste of time.

Might as well listen to what Craig has to say about the how the Republican Party can become a better party.

Also, it always amazes me how you left wing people point to others on the left and talk about how we should listen to their advice. If we listened to their advice we would no long be Republicans!!!!!

Well, I would think the last election cycle would have told you to do something differently.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Well, I would think the last election cycle would have told you to do something differently.

This is the bigger problem, people like you have selective reading ;) You only read what you want, instead of what is actually written :roll:

You really believe the garbage that you just wrote? The Democrats lost in 2004 while opposing the Iraq war. The Democrats won in 2008 in part by opposing the Iraq war.

If the Republicans would unify and oppose big government & wasteful spending, they would kick ass in 2010 & 2012. The Republicans lose because they are stupid and do shit like add in their own 3000+ earmarks into this year's budget.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

This is the bigger problem, people like you have selective reading ;) You only read what you want, instead of what is actually written :roll:

Wait...what? You're not making any sense.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
^^^
I edited the post to elaborate further. You imply that we believe Republicans should hold steady, continue on their current path that lost the elections. When that's false, we do believe and say all the time that Republicans need to change their ways. But we reject Bill Maher's opinion on the subject.

Sep 12, 2004
The R's probably care what Maher has to say about them as much as the D's care what Rush has to say about their party.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
The R's probably care what Maher has to say about them as much as the D's care what Rush has to say about their party.

Except they should, because Mahr, unlike Rush, is a reasonable guy.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

Except they should, because Mahr, unlike Rush, is a reasonable guy.
Plenty of R's believe Rush is a reasonable guy too. I'm not one of them (and I'm not an R), but I don't think Maher is reasonable either. Loved Bill Maher the old stand up comedian. When he became Bill Maher the political commentator he went immediately into suck mode.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
When Bill Maher begins with "I still don't know what those "Tea Bag" protests were for" that's as far as anyone needs to read. Maher is a douchebag.

Fair enough. Here's a question for you:

Why then, for the eight years of the Bush administration when deficit spending was at it's peak and we were paying for two wars and the budget surplus was frittered away - where were the protests then? Why were there no mass movements to curb government spending at that time?

You don't think it smacks of hypocrisy and partisan bitterness when these faux grassroots protests are staged less than 100 days after a Democrat is elected?
Deficit spending was not at its peak during those years though.

In terms of GDP most of Bush's deficits were below the 60? year average.

And compared to what Obama is proposing Bush's deficits are practically nothing.

Medicare Part D ALONE added $8 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities, ie: future debt. Not a tea party in sight! Obama adds $1 trillion?! Tea parties everywhere!

Remember though guys, this wasn't a Republican party thing. Nosiree!
There were a lot of Republicans who were unhappy with Medicare Part D.

Medicare part D was passed on largely party line votes, with the Republicans ramming it through.

How can you explain what you wrote and I bolded, considering Medicare Part D?

Originally posted by: newnameman
Could you be any more dishonest in that comparison? You're comparing one year of Obama spending to the cost of Medicare Part D over 75 years.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Surprisingly Bill Maher doesn't come across like a massive douche like he is want to do, much of the time. I think these are all valid points that he touches on, no?

http://www.latimes.com/news/op...09apr24,0,927819.story

Most of the issues the GOP outragers have outraged about are lame and hypocritical. I can understand their need to be the royal opposition but they have to do better than trying to get the country to go to DEFCON 2 over a handshake.