Bill Maher: Comparing violence of Islam to Christianity is liberal bull'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I don't necessarily agree with Bill Maher all the time, but I think all relgiions, especially the Christian religion has been just as violent and outrageous and fanatical as our current Muslim fanatic activity here of late.

We don't always get the news on a day to day basis about some of the crazy horrible shit people do in the name of their religions. I read about some of the crazy shit lately with sceintology, and that wasn't too long ago. Then there was a news article of a christian sect out in Oklahoma some where several male members were arrested for raping little girls in the name of their religion. Oh and here a few days back was the WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) members trying to publicly picket one of the victims killed in the Boston Bombings because she was gay and the motocycle club Patriot Guard had to come out and block them. Then there was the father and mother who allowed their child to die a horrible death from an intestinal blockage, a 5 year old child, which could have been easily treated at the hospital or doctors office, because they believe that praying would cure their son. I mean it goes on and on. Don't even get me started on that disgusting thread you guys had up not too long ago of hasidic jews allowing a type of ultra-Orthodox Jewish type of circumcision, where these grown men bite and suck the foreskin off a newborn infant with their mouths, and the babies got herpes from some of the men.

I mean all religions have "fanatical" potential and many of them do some violent crazy stuff, that is just as bad as what we are seeing with some of theese radical Muslim believers. We just don't hear about these as often in world news, as most just show up on local news in their areas. Then look at the bombers who bombed and killed abortion doctors and destroyed the clinics.

Equivalent to flying planes into buildings and killing thousands not found.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Equivalent to flying planes into buildings and killing thousands not found.

Or.. spanish inquisition, and the crusades or the Donatists, and which hunts in America, and things like David Koresh and the Branch Dividians, and Oklahoma Bombing, and Jim Jones and the mass suicide, and Heaven's gate incident years ago, and the Peoples Temple, and shit the list goes on.

All above in the name of Christianity and religious ideology.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Or.. spanish inquisition, and the crusades or the Donatists, and which hunts in America, and things like David Koresh and the Branch Dividians, and Oklahoma Bombing, and Jim Jones and the mass suicide, and Heaven's gate incident years ago, and the Peoples Temple, and shit the list goes on.

The Spanish Inquisition ended hundreds of years ago, also Islam is to blame for that since they conquered Spain by force and tried to force convert them to Islam...The inquisition was a backlash to the losers of the Spanish Jihad [Muslims].

The Crusades also have Islam at its heart obviously. The driving force behind the Crusades was that European pilgrims to the holy land were being denied access to sites such as the Church of the nativity and other sites. Besides that Muslims conquered 2/3rds of the Christian world at that time, so cause and effect was already in action and long overdue by the time of the first Crusade. Muslims were allah akbar'ing for close to 500 years and invading christian nations before the first Crusader ever stepped foot into Jerusalem..

The rest of your "points" are isolated incidints. I dont see any of those groups flying to another country and killing folks over seas. The closest would be Jim Jones but even then, he poisoned himself and the Americans who followed him to french guiana.

Islamic radicals are bombing people every day almost, a christian may do the same once every 15-20 years. Apples and Oranges right there, and I say blame the religion [Islam] for that, it really is a book of hate if you read it. Muhammad's hatred of Jews rivals that of Hitler, yet unlike Hitler a billion+ people follow Muhammad's word like sheep.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
So called islamist extremists have still a long way to go before
approaching even 10% of the civilians killed in Iraq by the US
Bush fascist presidency in an illegal war.

Drones killing civilians are not terrorism since the US population
has been brainwashed to consider than other nationalities
are not really humans and can be killed at will for any
reason , but this will forcibly be negligible quantity
in a supremacist brain that do rubbish religions comparison.

What the fuck are you talking about? Pretty much all estimates show Saddam killed more Iraqi citizens himself than the Gulf Wars did. Where you're trying to spin this 10% is ridiculous.

Here's the difference - there are fewer people being killed in Iraq today than there were when Saddam was in power. There will be fewer people killed in Iraq over the next decade than if Saddam were in power.

Would the death tolls be the same, greater, or less, if we had preemptively attacked Syria and removed Assad? It's just a mere convenience now that you cannot pin the deaths on the U.S.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I love Bill M. However I do think he takes too much delight in tweaking believers. I am an Atheist. Have been since my youth. I NEVER wanted to talk someone out of their faith. Tiss not my business. I have met good Islamist and poor Christians. They only represent themselves and not everyone of their ilk.

his point is, you might be killed by religious people because THEY push THEIR ideas onto YOU. you dont have to do anything, you can leave them alone as much as you want, then they come into your home and kill you because you didnt believe.

hes just saying that religion causes the most and usually the worst problems on earth.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Or.. spanish inquisition, and the crusades or the Donatists, and which hunts in America...

Wow, you are just so full of awesome today!

Thanks for the proof that Christians are capable of evolving into more peaceful societies over the years, something the middle east appears very inept at.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wow, you are just so full of awesome today!

Thanks for the proof that Christians are capable of evolving into more peaceful societies over the years, something the middle east appears very inept at.

yeah i saw the episode and bill specifically said that he was only talking about current times. if you go back to the middle ages, then HELL YES christians were evil... but thats not his point. hes just saying RIGHT NOW, islam is the worst.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Bill Mahar addressed that exact type of responce by saying that "We are not in history, we are in 2013." David Koresh thought he was Jesus. McVeigh sought revenge against the federal government for their handling of the Waco Siege. Heaven's Gate was an American UFO religion doomsday cult based in San Diego, California. Peoples Temple was a quasi-religious organization founded in 1955 by Jim Jones. Despite its public persona as a Christian church, Jones was in fact an atheist who intentionally adopted the guise of an Evangelical Christian preacher in an attempt to destroy the Christian religion and replace it with Communist ideology.

Got anything else?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
That's a weird line to draw in the sand between what's a "good" religion vs a "bad" one. What about issuing death threats when a woman reveals that she had an abortion or when a professor has a "stomp on Jesus" lesson?

The professor is still alive and the women are as well. Try being a Christian in Egypt, Nigeria, or the Sudan right now.

Equivalence not found.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
yeah i saw the episode and bill specifically said that he was only talking about current times. if you go back to the middle ages, then HELL YES christians were evil... but thats not his point. hes just saying RIGHT NOW, islam is the worst.

Back then some people abused Christianity as a way to control other people, while the commoner had no true understanding of the religion (like church services could only be in Latin when no one in the congregation spoke Latin). The Christian religion by itself does not bring about violence against others.

But when technology had advanced such that we could share more ideas across wider areas, learn from each other, common people gained access to knowledge, Christians evolved into better and more peaceful societies. Islam on the other hand... ask any Islamic woman how well her religion has improved over the years...

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
That`s why I post very rarely anymore....

Your response about death threats to women having abortions...is not even close being in the same ball park.....
If they were Muslim women there would be no death threats they would be dead already....huge difference already..IMO

Actually, abortion is allowed in Islam..and Muslim scientists are all over stem cell research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_abortion

Do you not remember when that was pointed out to you before?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Actually, abortion is allowed in Islam..and Muslim scientists are all over stem cell research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_abortion

Do you not remember when that was pointed out to you before?

Instead of being fooled by the combined powers of guilty liberals and deceptive Muslims, who put controlling a wikipedia page at the bottom of their list of misleading accomplishments, why not do some research? (Try to find one majority Muslim nation that allows the woman to choose to have an abortion.)

Or, if you don't feel like doing any research, you could just use some common sense and ask yourself if Islam ever empowers women to make choices regarding their own lives or bodies.

Apr 27, 2012
Instead of being fooled by the combined powers of guilty liberals and deceptive Muslims, who put controlling a wikipedia page at the bottom of their list of misleading accomplishments, why not do some research? (Try to find one majority Muslim nation that allows the woman to choose to have an abortion.)

Or, if you don't feel like doing any research, you could just use some common sense and ask yourself if Islam ever empowers women to make choices regarding their own lives or bodies.

Don't expect any common sense from him. I don't think I have ever seen him attack radical Islam.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Back then some people abused Christianity as a way to control other people, while the commoner had no true understanding of the religion (like church services could only be in Latin when no one in the congregation spoke Latin). The Christian religion by itself does not bring about violence against others.

But when technology had advanced such that we could share more ideas across wider areas, learn from each other, common people gained access to knowledge, Christians evolved into better and more peaceful societies. Islam on the other hand... ask any Islamic woman how well her religion has improved over the years...

so.. basically religion is the root of all evil and science brings peace. i completely agree.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

So in a majority of Muslim majority countries, it is as hard to get an abortion as it is in North Dakota, but not as impossible as Ireland.

Don't expect any common sense from him. I don't think I have ever seen him attack radical Islam.

You obviously have mental issues, hopefully you will get help before you ever decide to act on them