Bill Maher: Comparing violence of Islam to Christianity is liberal bull'

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I love Bill M. However I do think he takes too much delight in tweaking believers. I am an Atheist. Have been since my youth. I NEVER wanted to talk someone out of their faith. Tiss not my business. I have met good Islamist and poor Christians. They only represent themselves and not everyone of their ilk.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
"I mean there’s only one faith, for example, that kills you or wants to kill you if you draw a bad cartoon of the prophet"

That's a weird line to draw in the sand between what's a "good" religion vs a "bad" one. What about issuing death threats when a woman reveals that she had an abortion or when a professor has a "stomp on Jesus" lesson?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
That's a weird line to draw in the sand between what's a "good" religion vs a "bad" one. What about issuing death threats when a woman reveals that she had an abortion or when a professor has a "stomp on Jesus" lesson?

I don't remember the school being overrun by angry protestors setting buildings on fire and killing people when the professor had the stomp on Jesus lesson.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Extremism is a problem is any endeavor. The fringe is always the enemy of humanity. Maher's extremism towards the documents of the founding fathers is disappointing.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
He is a pompous arrogant lefty asshole. But I do like this statement. Needs to be said more often.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
He is only correct if you ignore the past. It is currently violent but people have forgotten what used to be done in the name of Christianity as well. I am sure the death toll for islam hasn't caught up yet.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
He is only correct if you ignore the past. It is currently violent but people have forgotten what used to be done in the name of Christianity as well. I am sure the death toll for islam hasn't caught up yet.

And like Bill said, we don't live in the past.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It seemed like the professor was trying to say that there's more to the terrorists/crazies than Islam: nationalism and other factors are at play. People are just latching upon one factor. If you replaced the religion, you would still have the same problems.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
He's right. It's a total load of horseshit to pretend that Islam is not grossly over represented in terrorist attacks when compared to any other religion.

And the thing is we ALL fucking know this. We all do, even those trying their damnedest to pretend it isn't so because they feel bad saying it.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
So called islamist extremists have still a long way to go before
approaching even 10% of the civilians killed in Iraq by the US
Bush fascist presidency in an illegal war.

Drones killing civilians are not terrorism since the US population
has been brainwashed to consider than other nationalities
are not really humans and can be killed at will for any
reason , but this will forcibly be negligible quantity
in a supremacist brain that do rubbish religions comparison.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He's right. It's a total load of horseshit to pretend that Islam is not grossly over represented in terrorist attacks when compared to any other religion.

And the thing is we ALL fucking know this. We all do, even those trying their damnedest to pretend it isn't so because they feel bad saying it.

How do you know that some people may actually know more than you do? Why do you use your state of knowledge as the final fact of things? How do you know you're not one of the people who thinks the earth is flat? If you know the answers to things do you not see that closes your mind to questioning received beliefs? Wouldn't it be better to try to keep an open mind to the possibility you don't know anything so you can?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
How do you know that some people may actually know more than you do? Why do you use your state of knowledge as the final fact of things? How do you know you're not one of the people who thinks the earth is flat? If you know the answers to things do you not see that closes your mind to questioning received beliefs? Wouldn't it be better to try to keep an open mind to the possibility you don't know anything so you can?
Perhaps, but at some point it's been open long enough, which is to say if you adhere too strongly to this line of thought you never end up committed to anything.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
even practiced liars like maher slip up and tell the truth from time to time. In his heart of hearts he knows the liberal agenda is based on lies and structured deceptions.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
So called islamist extremists have still a long way to go before
approaching even 10% of the civilians killed in Iraq by the US
Bush fascist presidency in an illegal war.

Drones killing civilians are not terrorism since the US population
has been brainwashed to consider than other nationalities
are not really humans and can be killed at will for any
reason , but this will forcibly be negligible quantity
in a supremacist brain that do rubbish religions comparison.

What about Iraqi's killed by Islamic extremists, and Afghan's killed by Islamic extremists?

Nov 8, 2012
I do not understand that nutbag one bit. Calls himself libertarian - yet wants government EVERYWHERE in our day-to-day lives. I just don't comprehend the douchebag.

He has the lefty "I am always right" as well with regard to religion. It's funny, I am an atheist-agnostic as well, yet he insults everyone that believes in any type of faith. So many more intelligent people came before him and are still alive today that have religion/faith - but it's like he calls them all stupid.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
What about Iraqi's killed by Islamic extremists, and Afghan's killed by Islamic extremists?

They are in the same situation as the Usans killed
by fellow citizen , both countries allowing common
people to have weapons.

I wouldnt be surprised that all things being equal
murder rates are more or less comparable....

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
For being a "truth lover" he's certainly not above peddling bullshit, but here he's right on the money.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
They are in the same situation as the Usans killed
by fellow citizen , both countries allowing common
people to have weapons.

I wouldnt be surprised that all things being equal
murder rates are more or less comparable....

This is a bullshit underhanded anti-2nd amendment post if I ever read one.

It doesn't even address or take into consideration the fashion and/or reasons in which all those people in Iraq have been killed (especially in instances related to Islamic terrorist bombings there, i.e. mainly via explosive devices fabricated by terrorist groups looking to push their own political and religious agenda) versus the US murder rate which is fueled overwhelmingly by criminal acts. Of which said criminal acts have over the years seen a steady decline despite the large increase of US firearm ownership and the instances of spree killings or terrorists acts.