Bill Gates suggests stamps for email...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The money version simply will not fly. The processing one is interesting, but has a bunch of issues as well.

I think the best thing is to have a .com.safe email address or something, so that eventually people would only accept emails with a .safe suffix, and you can only get such an email address by passing some sort of authentication, and you'll lose it if you abuse your email address.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
I've heard of a variant of this proposal where you only have to pay if the other person rejects your email. Which means that email is still essentially free(*), but drives the incremental cost of spamming through the roof.

(*) ignoring, of course, the economic perspective where a debit/billing system would have to be devised/maintained to track this.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It won't fly. It's too bad -- I'd like to see email reformed, but I'd like there to be a viable way to use it for business as well. Technology will eventually solve this problem, but it may be a while.

Rob

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I like the idea with 10 second computation loop. I wouldn't mind waiting 10 seconds if that means no more spam.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
I've heard of a variant of this proposal where you only have to pay if the other person rejects your email. Which means that email is still essentially free(*), but drives the incremental cost of spamming through the roof.

(*) ignoring, of course, the economic perspective where a debit/billing system would have to be devised/maintained to track this.
Not sure how that would be implemented, but it would definitely be a great idea. I guess you'd need some escrow count holding money somewhere, so that you pay first before ever sending emails, so that the money is available afterwards if it's rejected. I like it!

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
There's absolutely no way that either scenario would last more than a week before getting thoroughly hacked/cracked.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo
I like the idea with 10 second computation loop. I wouldn't mind waiting 10 seconds if that means no more spam.
Me neither, but 10 seconds on what? 2 ghz machine? Somebody on a 450 would be waiting a lot longer than 10 seconds, and you can't really have it scale up with more powerful machines because the spammers will just say that their server is a 20 mhz and the math problem would be too easy.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Argo
Me neither, but 10 seconds on what? 2 ghz machine? Somebody on a 450 would be waiting a lot longer than 10 seconds, and you can't really have it scale up with more powerful machines because the spammers will just say that their server is a 20 mhz and the math problem would be too easy.

Doesn't matter. It can be a half a second. Spammers send out millions of emails - it'll add up. Plus the hardware companies would love this - "Get a more expensive machine so that you can send email faster" :)

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Email is free, that's the beauty of it. Let's just keep it that way. I just delete spam and virus emails, it really isn't that hard.

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Staley8
Email is free, that's the beauty of it. Let's just keep it that way. I just delete spam and virus emails, it really isn't that hard.

:beer:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
:beer::beer: