Bill Clinton Speech!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Awesome speech. Should be fascinating to see if/how the polls change. Obama should just put a chair on stage, put a tv on it, and play that speech on the tv ;D

He should have taken your advice; Obama's speech sucks in comparison. It's not even better than Mitt Romney's.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Would Ayn Rand support Romney - even as she sucked off the gov'ment teat?

I don't know what Ayn Rand would think, since I'm not a disciple of hers despite finding this particular quote of hers quite apt and true. And since we're theorizing about the voting habits of people quoted in sigs, would Polonius support Barack Obama? Or that great soul of literary wit Kenny Loggins?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I really enjoyed Clintons speech. He is the best orator in politics today imo. . .

( double entendre )

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What in the hell does Bush (who you obviously are referring to) have to do with my comments?

It's a comparison meant to illustrate how little a lie about sex affected public policy when compared to a lie about actual public policy matters.

President Clinton's indiscretions and subsequent lies about it hurt himself and his family more than it hurt anyone affected by his policies. I don't recall any major lies about reasons for starting a war that Clinton made that are comparable to the falsehood cited in run up to invading Iraq.

Contrast that with another President and the argument is made.
Also, are you suggesting that I'm a "teabagger"?

I don't care whether or not you are or not. However, it is another point where his public policy decisions had more impact on people than his private indiscretions did.

Did he do something bad? yes. Who did he hurt? Himself and his family.

Compare that to his successor whose policies regarding taxes hurt us and are continuing to do so.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I think it's safe to say that Clinton's tax increases played a part in balancing the budget, although it's worth repeating that we never really balanced the budget. We only made it look that way by seizing and spending the excess Social Security revenue and by neglecting to include some spending in the budget.
I believe you when you say they fudged the numbers but I'm also willing to make a guess that that Clinton's tax cuts in combination with other things reduced the rate at which the Debt actually increased.

You know what, I'm willing to make this bet.
That on a year by year basis (comparing the first, second, and so on years of the terms of the Presidents) that Clinton added less to the National Debt than did his predecessor or his successor.

As far as your words go here...
I think it's safe to say that Clinton's tax increases played a part in balancing the budget,

Damn right they did.

Regarding this...
It's also probably safe to say that had Bush not cut taxes, or perhaps had done a temporary tax cut after the 9/11 recession started, we'd have owed less when the crash happened, so we'd have more room to cut and could afford more spending to fight it.

The thing is in the past few conflicts/wars before ones we got into this century we have rarely if ever cut taxes while they were still going on.

I think there was one but that when the people in office saw that the military spending was increasing they then repealed that tax cut.

If I recall correctly President Bush's tax cuts came in two stages. One in early 2003 and another in 2004 or 2005 and they were passed by reconciliation meaning the filibuster couldn't stop it.

We're still paying a high price for those tax cuts that we would not be if those tax cuts hadn't been passed or had been allowed to expire on time.

That prompted me to make this post in another thread when someone made some remark about still blaming President Bush for the economy...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33931740&postcount=78

this chart is from the link directly above this sentence. look there for further detail.
DeficitChart.png

Since those tax cuts are still in effect and the Republicans in Congress block the expiration of them, my position stated in this post in the other thread will stand until they are allowed to expire.

Last edited:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Bill Clinton was the "BEST" president we ever hard... By Far... From balancing the budget to all the "GOOD" times we had under his administration.

:)

For those of you still voting for the "R"... Well, get ready for another 4 years of "D"...

Romney is done stick a fork in it... Game over...

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Bill Clinton was the "BEST" president we ever hard... By Far... From balancing the budget to all the "GOOD" times we had under his administration.

:)

For those of you still voting for the "R"... Well, get ready for another 4 years of "D"...

Romney is done stick a fork in it... Game over...

Do you still have that blue dress under your bed?