Bill Clinton Speech!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Ol' Bubba finished with both guns smoking and all the chambers empty!

The man did a hellova job. Said a lot that needed to be said.

Romney probably spilled his demitasse and Ryan probably popped a vein in his neck.

In all seriousness, the entire Romney machine needs to make one hell of a halftime adjustment and actually focus on a specific policy platform, debating point by point of what their plan is, or they're going to lose badly. ANd that makes me so happy. I cannot stand the modern political strategy of a vague, hollow attack narrative, which, BTW is why I did not vote for Obama last time around. Only, this time, it's worse on the GOP side.

Time to rethink, or the end result is a done deal for the Dems.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The Dems are going to blow the doors off the GOP in this election if the DNC is any hint of what's to come. The RNC was really the polar opposite of this convention in almost every way. Completely flat, uninspiring speeches, and a total lack of diversity amongst the delegates.

The DNC has been hitting note after note with Michelle and now Bill literally bringing the house down. Obama could literally put an empty chair out there tomorrow night at this point.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Awesome speech. Should be fascinating to see if/how the polls change. Obama should just put a chair on stage, put a tv on it, and play that speech on the tv ;D

Also, someone should make a gif of the guy clapping at 47:10 in the above link, lol.

LMFAO Nice face, caught between several emotions, not sure which one is winning.

29:20 cute, not bad...

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Whoa whoa whoa, the student loan interest rate was 3.4% before 2005? The hell... I graduated high school in 2005. I always wondered why my loans were at 6.8% when other people had 3.4%. Just another screwup to blame the Repubs for. Everything they can to undermine the middle class.

I consolidated my loans in May of 2005 at 2.7%. My wife did her's in 2006 at ~4.8%.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I am disappoint.

He used to inspire, now he is coming across as just a shill.

vince-the-huckster1.jpg

Ha ha ha. You just KNOW the speech was fantastic when everyone on the left says it's great, but the best the right can say is "He's a shill," without pointing to ANYTHING substantive.

Great comment, PJ. Totally incisive.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I watched the speech on fox and laughed my ass off as they tried to spin it as defensive. They also all agreed it was way long and wonky and put people to sleep but the best part of all was that it had too many facts, that nobody could handle or remember that many facts. hehehehehe What a bunch of brain dead puss sacks they have on Fox.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
The man can deliver a speech...that fact is indisputable.

That said am I really supposed to ignore the fact that he was my commander and chief and President of the US and lied to the American public and the world. Yea, all politicians have lied but I'd say his moment was one of the most dishonorable things to lie about as POTUS.

Ummm he stuck cigars up some fat ladies twat, lied about it, and that's OK? That makes him a political superstar? Maybe in France; shouldn't be OK here.

Old fashioned values apparently don't mean too much any more.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Ummm he stuck cigars up some fat ladies twat, lied about it, and that's OK? That makes him a political superstar? Maybe in France; shouldn't be OK here.

Who cares? What does that have to do with his job performance? How many presidents do you think didn't have mistresses?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Honestly just wish he was running for president, not Obama. :(

I bet most of that room was wishing the same thing.

Last edited:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009

That said am I really supposed to ignore the fact that he was my commander and chief and President of the US and lied to the American public and the world. Yea, all politicians have lied but I'd say his moment was one of the most dishonorable things to lie about as POTUS.

Am I disappointed that Clinton lied about his affair with Monica? Sure.
If I was in his shoes, facing a potential scandal that threatened to rip my family apart, and I could potentially make the whole thing go away by telling a white lie, would I do it? Sure.

We put the POTUS on a very high pedestal, but at the end of the day, they're still human. Every day, the president is under an enormous of pressure on multiple fronts, and he will make mistakes. Compared to the transgressions we've seen from other president we've put in the White House recently, lying about stuffing cigar tubes in some woman's snatch rates pretty low on my Give-A-Fuck scale.

But that's my opinion. If you're the type that places absolute honesty over and above any other factor, I can respect that. Just a reminder: there's a candidate for president that has run political advertising that he knows to be completely false, and has approved speeches by has running mate containing talking points that he knows to be completely false, solely because they've been "effective." If honesty is important to you, I hope you remember that when you walk into your voting booth this November.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If I was in his shoes, facing a potential scandal that threatened to rip my family apart, and I could potentially make the whole thing go away by telling a white lie, would I do it? Sure.

We put the POTUS on a very high pedestal, but at the end of the day, they're still human. Every day, the president is under an enormous of pressure on multiple fronts, and he will make mistakes. Compared to the transgressions we've seen from other president we've put in the White House recently, lying about stuffing cigar tubes in some woman's snatch rates pretty low on my Give-A-Fuck scale.

But that's my opinion. If you're the type that places absolute honesty over and above any other factor, I can respect that. Just a reminder: there's a candidate for president that has run political advertising that he knows to be completely false, and has approved speeches by has running mate containing talking points that he knows to be completely false, solely because they've been "effective." If honesty is important to you, I hope you remember that when you walk into your voting booth this November.
Basically this. He did what every other guy has done who cheats on his spouse: lie. Nothing particularly egregious there, whether it was to the American people or not; it was more people, but the same basic act of lying to get out of being caught. It's an awful thing to do and I'm sure to this day he's ashamed of it, but it's a lot better than one's lies causing the deaths of thousands

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010

I actually didn't think he was a terrible president and I realize that he's a human being; however, that office requires a man of higher standards in terms of integrity and morality. This doesn't come as a surprise to any person who pursues this responsibility.

I may be applying my opinions as that of a person who served in the military for the majority of my life and as such expect very high standards of a commander and chief of our military and should represent the country more appropriately. I'll try to provide a comparison. If I did the same thing as a military person I would be prosecuted for much lesser inappropriate behaviour. For a man that literally holds the nuclear arsenal of this country in his hands I expect and demand more.

For the rationale "who cares, what does that have to do with his performance", well I respect that opinion, but a man/person of this stature has to serve above and beyond what most people are willing to give. His office, his performance, his obligation to the American public also entails being the face of a person who's actions create the perception of this office to the world and both allies and potential enemies. It isn't just a job he voluntarily accepted and sought but more importantly an obligation to uphold what the United States represents to its citizens and the rest of the world.

I guess I'm old fashioned but his actions equated to more than a simple human mistake. His staff failed him as well. At least he did finally come clean but he really had no choice when it was all said and done. If there is no integrity up front everything else that follows can't really be trusted or in my opinion respected. My opinion, but I still believe the POTUS should remain an honorable person above all.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Oh shut up. Then grow up.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
For the rationale "who cares, what does that have to do with his performance", well I respect that opinion, but a man/person of this stature has to serve above and beyond what most people are willing to give.

Why did you not respond to my other question of how many presidents you think didn't cheat on their spouse? Infidelity is very common, even more common amongst those in a position of power (not necessarily political), and even more common amongst those who are in a spotlight and have aggressive admirers.

I doubt you will find many of our history's vast collection of presidents meet up to your standard. Moreover, it shows you are preoccupied with petty detail over the "stuff that matters".

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Clinton's speech, for all of its length and detail is a throw away.

It was Clinton's last hurrah, and he took all of the time he could to show that he would do a better job than Obama.

All of the fanboiz here are swooning only because they have selective hearing.

The Dems and Obama need to have someone lay out as many reasons to support Obama as they can, because their case is weak.

I think Clinton did a great job in teaching the delegates in NC, but only left the vague impression that, boy, this guy can go and on on everyone else.

I read the news stories and listened to the news on the radio as I was driving into DC this morning. The Clinton speech got 5-10 seconds!

Michelle got more views and more tweets the night before and she deserved that for she engaged her audience. Clinton did engage as well, but while his was a more substantial speech, it will be the more readily forgotten.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Basically this. He did what every other guy has done who cheats on his spouse: lie. Nothing particularly egregious there, whether it was to the American people or not; it was more people, but the same basic act of lying to get out of being caught. It's an awful thing to do and I'm sure to this day he's ashamed of it, but it's a lot better than one's lies causing the deaths of thousands

It's not that he cheated on his wife (that is between him, his wife and whatever if any god he worships) or lied to his wife and us about it.

What gets me about the situation is he lied UNDER OATH. that's it. For the President to lie under oath makes a mockery of his position and the justice system.

Was he a good President? hell yes, would i vote for him over the 2 choices we have now? without a doubt.

I respect him as President i do have issues with what he did. It shouldn't have got that far politically or personally.