Bill Clinton Speech!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Pretty good so far. I seriously doubt that Obama will be able to match it, or even come close.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Okay, he should have stopped while he's ahead. No one, not even Bill, is going to convince undecided and independent voters that Obamacare is anything but a shit sandwich. The pandering on student loans is a turn-off too - if you borrow money to study underwater basket weaving, you need to pay that shit back and not have Uncle Sam mark down your debt because you can't find a job above minimum wage.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Obama shouldnt even try to follow up the speech, just leave it there. Bill set fire to the rain! I also liked him articulating things that Obama did that people have been saying were bad. More specifically, the Welfare to Work program that people kept saying Obama removed the work requirement for the program.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Okay, he should have stopped while he's ahead. No one, not even Bill, is going to convince undecided and independent voters that Obamacare is anything but a shit sandwich. The pandering on student loans is a turn-off too - if you borrow money to study underwater basket weaving, you need to pay that shit back and not have Uncle Sam mark down your debt because you can't find a job above minimum wage.

The problem is the govt has been gouging students on interest rates since the republicans decided to peg interest rates at 6.8%. The jacking up of interest rates on student loans is what has caused the record number of student loan defaults. You can spout on and on about student loans this and that. Anyone with student loans prior to 2005 has dirt cheap interest rates. People from 2006-2009, have double to triple some of the lowest rates that people were recieving prior to 2005/2006. The govt shouldnt be trying to make large profits off the backs of students. I don't support student loan forgiveness. But I do support retroactively changing the interest rates on all govt backed student loans taken out since 2005/2006 to 3.4% or back to the old system of determining interest rate.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Glenn, the government doesnt mark down your debt on your student loans..actually, if you fail to make the payments, your interest rates go up. However, if you pay on time consistently, they actually lower the rate a little bit for having a good record.

I know because Im paying off my $20,000 in student loans.

Also, I definitely didnt major in Underwater Basket Weaving. I actually did something meaningful and I am working on my Certifications now. I am excited to join the workforce and make more money!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
What was all the BS about sharing?

Like rich people "sharing" their wealth with poor people?

Anyone here want to share their money with me? Their car? Their house? I can send my PayPal address. Please share!

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I am disappoint.

He used to inspire, now he is coming across as just a shill.

vince-the-huckster1.jpg

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Anyone here want to share their money with me? Their car? Their house? I can send my PayPal address. Please share!

It depends on what you need the money or my car for.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It was a magical speech. Makes one rethink term limits.

Seeing a diverse crowd in the Convention during his speech representing a real America is also so refreshing. The Republican Convention crowd didn't even look like America.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Glenn, the government doesnt mark down your debt on your student loans..actually, if you fail to make the payments, your interest rates go up. However, if you pay on time consistently, they actually lower the rate a little bit for having a good record.

I know because Im paying off my $20,000 in student loans.

Also, I definitely didnt major in Underwater Basket Weaving. I actually did something meaningful and I am working on my Certifications now. I am excited to join the workforce and make more money!

Wrong. It caps payments and forgives the outstanding balance after 20 years. This is a huge government subsidy to universities and a complete giveaway to students in bullshit majors. I doubt that many will even cover the interest on their loans under this plan much less pay a penny of principal.

Official White House press release

<snip>

The Administration is moving forward with a new “Pay As You Earn” proposal that will reduce monthly payments for more than one and a half million current college students and borrowers. Starting in 2014, borrowers will be able to reduce their monthly student loan payments to 10 percent of their discretionary income. But President Obama realizes that many students need relief sooner than that. The new “Pay As You Earn” proposal will allow about 1.6 million students the ability to cap their loan payments at 10 percent starting next year, and the plan will forgive the balance of their debt after 20 years of payments. Additionally, starting this January an estimated 6 million students and recent college graduates will be able to consolidate their loans and reduce their interest rates.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

That Republican attitude is what is destroying the Country.

A Country is a TEAM. There is no I in TEAM.

If you don't want to play you are FREE to leave, please do.

Buh bye

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
That Republican attitude is what is destroying the Country.

A Country is a TEAM. There is no I in TEAM.

If you don't want to play you are FREE to leave, please do.

Buh bye

Sounds good to me. All those not playing (on welfare, unemployment, etc) should GTFO. We already have way too many benchwarming scrubs.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
My god the epicness. I would have thought this level of domination inconceivable had I not witnessed it with my own eyes.