Bill Clinton met with AG Loretta Lynch privately in Phoenix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I once grabbed a heavy bar that had some lubricant on it. It didn't matter how hard I gripped it, I could not hold on to it. It was slippery as hell, like the Clintons.

That must have been the slipperiest bar the world has ever seen, either that or you are totally incompetent.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It only takes minutes to make a request and hand over a bag of cash. ;)
And on an airplane no less. Very easy to police the use of cameras in that tightly controlled meeting place.

But if Bill handed her a suitcase, why? Insurance? There is no way Lynch is going to go after Hillary. Obama butters her bread and she looks like she's been scarfing down a ton of it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So you need a 30 minute private meeting with the AG to discuss kids and brexit? Yeah, that sounds likely :rolleyes:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So, how/when did Bill carry that invisible suitcase stuffed with cash up the stairs to the AG's plane....which would have been in front of a bunch of cops, Secret Service, and the public, including TV/media?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
It was an odd meeting, not sure what they said that couldn't have been done over the phone if the meeting had some nefarious purpose.

I don't perceive Lynch as being particularly adept at being a political figure.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
So, how/when did Bill carry that invisible suitcase stuffed with cash up the stairs to the AG's plane....which would have been in front of a bunch of cops, Secret Service, and the public, including TV/media?
You're taking it too literally. This is one of the frustrations when dealing with the left. One can't "flower up" the communication to make the discourse more interesting because everything is taken at face value. Nuance is often times lost too.

Doesn't keep me awake at night though.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Nobody knows what was said in that meeting except those two.

Meeting like that definitely creates the appearance of impropriety. Anyone that things otherwise is a sub-moron.

In the past, that's all libs ever needed to convict a non lib. 'The seriousness of the charge dictates that we do something' yada yada yada.

No doubt there was some small talk - grand kids, Brexit...

Anyone that thinks the investigation didn't come up in some form is a sub-moron.

Given statement 1, this is obviously unprovable, but given the nature of the Clintons it's highly likely. The Clintons are slime and anyone with 2 functioning brain cells knows this.

None of the above is pro republican or pro Trump.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Can you not be a hack for 5 minutes.

If the FBI asks for a indictments this woman decides if they proceed. Can't you see even a hint of a conflict of interest?

Yeah, but even though I disagree with her politics I trust Lynch to be the professional she is and not act unethically. The meeting probably wasn't the best thing from an optics standpoint but unless someone can produce a smoking gun I don't see why anyone being honest about it instead of nakedly partisan should have a cow about it either.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm genuinely curious as to what they had to discuss. Why do they need some private 30 minute discussion on her private jet? They could easily talk anytime without anyone really knowing. The only thing I can think of is that whatever they were talking about required face to face conversation, and that phone calls can be monitored and recorded so they preferred a face to face setting for a candid conversation.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
:rolleyes:

Yes buckshot. It obviously has a whiff of something illicit. I don't think anyone will argue it doesn't. However that fact he did it in broad daylight, that it could have been done way more private if he was actually trying to influence Lynch, that Hillary could have even more easily been talking to Obama means that there's no fire here, just bit of smoke.

This is yet another case of conservatives grabbing at any scandal they can find to tear her down. They've been trying for 25 years and haven't succeeded.

They're desperate.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Lynch should have appointed a special prosecutor, the whole thing just looks bad.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Lynch should have appointed a special prosecutor, the whole thing just looks bad.

No way, doing that would have created the possibility of the special prosecutor doing something the white house didn't like. Better to keep the whole thing in trusted hands.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
No way, doing that would have created the possibility of the special prosecutor doing something the white house didn't like. Better to keep the whole thing in trusted hands.

It still would have been whitewashed, and the optics would have been much better.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
:rolleyes:

Yes buckshot. It obviously has a whiff of something illicit. I don't think anyone will argue it doesn't. However that fact he did it in broad daylight, that it could have been done way more private if he was actually trying to influence Lynch, that Hillary could have even more easily been talking to Obama means that there's no fire here, just bit of smoke.

This is yet another case of conservatives grabbing at any scandal they can find to tear her down. They've been trying for 25 years and haven't succeeded.

For those of you who are supporters of the Clintons, this is the type of stuff that fuels the criticism directed towards them by their opponents. Bill Clinton is a masterful and natural politician. He knows how to very closely walk that fine line between what is legal versus what he needs to do to influence the outcome he desires.

It's like how he strategically showed up at Boston area polling stations with the mayor for districts that demographically could potentially swing to Sanders. He didn't necessarily "break" the law, yet he surely new the influence and disruptive impact his appearance would have as a popular former President showing up at polling locations in a blue state.

It smells rotten because it is. It is inappropriate for a former President to privately meet with the one person who holds the power and discretion to determine the political fate of his wife. It happened in the open to send a message. It also happened behind closed doors because apparently transparency is no longer a priority for the most transparent administration when the White House is at stake.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Nothing to see here folks, just a former president and husband of a presidential candidate under investigation meeting in private with the person who has responsibility for said investigation.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Gotta love rightwingers. These people who will tell you with a straight face that unlimited corporate political contributions do not give rise to corruption or appearance of corruption, but Bill Clinton can corrupt Loretta Lynch by just meeting with her at the airport.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
If Bill was really was trying to influence the AG, why the hell would he do it so publicly? He's a better politician than that.

My take on this thread:
rXkuZ9m.gif

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nothing to see here folks, just a former president and husband of a presidential candidate under investigation meeting in private with the person who has responsibility for said investigation.

Serious question, if his goal was to somehow influence her decision in regards to that why on earth would he meet her in such an obvious fashion? Do you really think Bill Clinton is that stupid?

The one thing I am really not looking forward to with a Clinton presidency is the revival of the insane and ridiculous conspiracy theories. This is just the start.

Guurn

Dec 29, 2012
I'm about the furthest thing from a right winger in most respects and this just angers me.

Bill Clinton just happened to
be in Phoenix at the same time as Attorney General Lynch
be at the airport at the same time as Lynch
be waiting on the ground as Lynch's plane was landing
notice a plane that he recognized as one Lynch currently uses
have his jet parked within casual walking distance of the location where Lynch's plane stopped
decide he would pop by on the random chance AG Lynch happened to be on the plane
walk over to her plane and risk being viewed by the media, knowing that boarding her plane to even say a simple "Hello" would at least undermine the appearance of an objective investigation into his wife
magically bump into AG Lynch just chilling on the plane with neither of them having anywhere to be or anything else important to do for "about 30 minutes"?!?

They talked about him playing golf in Phoenix (105 degrees btw) among other things. yeah, maybe he did, I love hot weather and make sure to play golf when it is sweltering mostly because there are no old people on the course. He is what 69?