Bike storage project - garage lift

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Faced with the challenge of where to store 5 bicycles while giving my kids the ability to access them with little or no help from dad, I came up with a modified version of the home depot bike storage system

First, I bought an 8 foot 2x4 and a 6 foot 4x4. I then purchased 5 of these and staggered them evenly along the 4x4 (predrilled holes and then installed them)

The rest of the hardware I'm using consists of a few scrap pieces of 2x4, a 1500 lb old 12 volt craftsman winch I picked up on craigslist for $30.00, and several pullies. Each will support 450 lbs and I am using 6 total, 5 of the first one, and 1 of these that will slightly pivot and will be mounted directly above the winch.

I've mounted the 8 foot 2x4 to the ceiling already with a few 3 inch screws and 5 lag bolts that are securely bolted into the ceiling joists through the finished drywall. I've mounted the pullies to the 2x4 as well with lag bolts (3 in each pulley). I still need to mount the last free moving pulley above the winch and attach the winch to the wall by the garage door with a section of 2x4 securely bolted to the wall studs. My only concern is that with 14 foot ceilings, I'll still have to slightly duck to go under the bikes, but they will for the most part, be out of the way and my kids will be able to use the winch to safely raise and lower the bikes to take theirs off the hook when they want them. It will be a natural separator between the cars and my work space as well. I'll take a photo later when I finish this project up and hope it works out as well as I think it will.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Depends how you need to store / number of bikes.

I have 5, hooked up vertically on this

Works good.