Bigots Gone Wild

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
I have never witnessed that among rural people under about 70, though a Pakistani friend of mine did have trouble in downtown Toledo on a couple of occasions.

Do some research on the availability heuristic and the cognitive biases that it can create. The representativeness heuristic, which is related, is also potentially in play here.

I'm not saying that all rural people are open-minded or accepting. Just that it's absolutely ridiculous (and frankly discriminatory) to believe that "most" of them are somehow bigoted. Even if you saw an incident of bigotry once each week, you interact with perhaps 50-100 different people in a week so while the incident stands out, it really only indicates a prevalence of 1-2%. A far cry from "most". I'm willing to grant that 10%, maybe even 20-25% of rural folks are bigoted, but even at 25%, which I believe it a gross over-statement, we're not even close to "most".

ZV
I can't argue that my sample isn't small (minute, really) in comparison to the total population. This argument could be used to call into doubt just about any argument made here on p&n. For example, if I say I read X in some publication to make some argument, the publication could be called into doubt. This is something I've given quite a bit of thought to and have no solution. I'm often amused when someone here vigorously defends some position with commercial or gov't publications. They could be inaccurate by accident or design. Take any statement made by the white house press secretary. How much credence should it be given?

And then there's the polls of 1000 or 5000 people that supposedly take the temperature of the country...

Nevertheless, my experience is that rural (usually, less educated) people in ohio are in many ways good people but still somewhat racist. This does indeed apply to mainly older people (>50) but I've noticed this attitude in 'some' younger folks (also, less educated).

In the future, you, and anyone else who cares, can assume that opinions I give are from my experience, real or imagined, and, unless noted, are not the result of sophisticated data gathering or sampling.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: VoteQuimby
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Wow. Michigan borders Ohio and I have never seen anyone who talks like the people in this video. Of all the vids posted so far of the Klan meeting er uh... Palin rallies, this one takes the fucking cake. When the hell did the Deep South move so far north?

Come on up to Northern Michigan and you'll find plenty of people like this.

Yeah, it's alive and well pretty much everywhere. It's a complete fallacy that racism is a southern phenomenon or even an American phenomenon. They've got plenty of racists in Europe.

Just the same, amazing progress has been made. I mean, 50 years ago racism was institutional for crying out loud.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Why are the elephants argueing with the Jackasses. Ya I know the elephant is smarter can do way more work in a day. But requirer more resources to do the work.Food water.

Arguing with a slow moving somewhat ignorant jackass is useless. Much of what the jackasses say is in fact correct, If God is removed. Wasn't it a jackass that delivered the Christ to the jews in Jerusalem. With the crowds praising his arrival. Only to turn on him when they found out what they wanted. Went against what my Lords LORD wanted. Than and only than did they turn on him and deny him. Even the 12 denied him out of fear and weakness.

You elephants stop the argueing this thing is over the Jackass won the first 11 rounds.

Also whats with all the pretend elephants . Hay ya can't fake being an elephant. I really can't blame ya. Who in their right mind would fake being a jackass.

The 12 round fight will not go the distance. The elephants finely gets pissed and knock the jackasses out in the Final round.

You elephants have almost 4 years to prepare for the end . strengthen your resolve. or your mascurading as an elephant will be exposed. This is end game . Screw running this country prepare the way or retire to the elephant grave yard . As a broken beast of burden.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
Wow. Michigan borders Ohio and I have never seen anyone who talks like the people in this video. Of all the vids posted so far of the Klan meeting er uh... Palin rallies, this one takes the fucking cake. When the hell did the Deep South move so far north?

Yeah, it's alive and well pretty much everywhere. It's a complete fallacy that racism is a southern phenomenon or even an American phenomenon. They've got plenty of racists in Europe.

Just the same, amazing progress has been made. I mean, 50 years ago racism was institutional for crying out loud.
Another misconception is that slavery only refers to slavery in the u.s. It's occurred throughout the world throughout human history. This doesn't diminish the horror of slavery but it does reveal a lack of historical perspective.

It's my observation that economic hardship precedes an uptick in racism - something or somebody to blame your problems on. Since ohio is currently having tough times, it's not a stretch that it's popping up there - in combination with the possibility of a non-anglo saxon president.

I also agree that southern racism is different than northern. In some ways, southerners are not quite as mean (I can't believe I just said that).

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I know the ans. But I have to ask. Whats the oldest kingdom . What country. Who started slavery . What color were egpytian ruling class. Around what year did Joseph enter egpyt. Who was it Moses lead out of egypt . What color were they. Ya I know Christ was black right . I don't care what freaken color they were and niether did they.

I am so sick of the slavery issue. Now a little sherlock holmes here OK .

If the ruling class in egypt was Black . That makes Moses Black . But A lot of Jews were white. So how was Moses excepted as egyptian prince. Only 2 possiable ans. If ya do a little research you'll find out I do know.

Either both jew and egyptian were the same color or . After Joseph arrived to save the Egytians asses durring the seven year drought and was excepted into the court. and threw time the 2 tribes mixed . Meaning any color was possiable. The important thing here is this, THEY DIDN"T CARE ABOUT COLOR . A man was a man. They did care tho what tribe they were with.(MEN stayed in their tribes) . The woman however could be from any tribe.

Who the hell started racism. Because it wasn't early man. Why was slavery exceptable in the BiBle . GO ahead knock yourself out on that question. Were there white slaves in america? YEP there sure were.

The Slavery issue and Racism are 2 differant issues. Get it threw your heads .

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Unless you've lived in ohio as I have, defending them is a bit specious.

22 years. Born and bred. Any other erroneous assumptions you'd like to make about me?

I met far, far, FAR more people on farms in Ohio who were genuinely interested in learning about viewpoints that were fundamentally different from theirs than I have in Seattle. They may not agree, but they will at least listen in Ohio. In Seattle, as soon as they hear any little thing that they disagree with they dismiss you as just another greedy capitalist and tune you out completely.

ZV

You're talking about ohio, the state between indiana and w.va/pennsylvania? This thread is about race right? Many people in ohio, especially rural, are polite and hate races other than their own. I'm not guessing, I've witnessed it.

I have never witnessed that among rural people under about 70, though a Pakistani friend of mine did have trouble in downtown Toledo on a couple of occasions.

Do some research on the availability heuristic and the cognitive biases that it can create. The representativeness heuristic, which is related, is also potentially in play here.

I'm not saying that all rural people are open-minded or accepting. Just that it's absolutely ridiculous (and frankly discriminatory) to believe that "most" of them are somehow bigoted. Even if you saw an incident of bigotry once each week, you interact with perhaps 50-100 different people in a week so while the incident stands out, it really only indicates a prevalence of 1-2%. A far cry from "most". I'm willing to grant that 10%, maybe even 20-25% of rural folks are bigoted, but even at 25%, which I believe it a gross over-statement, we're not even close to "most".

ZV

Hi! I'm from Alabama. We have suffered through these stereotypes for decades now. You know how many people I've met or know that have said "wow, I didn't realize someone from Alabama could be as cool and open-minded as you are." It is insulting. People in rural areas are not very different than those from cities. Sure, there are backward places here, but that also exists in cities as well.

I have traveled all over the world and it baffles me that people think that Alabama or rural areas are full of bigoted people. Without a doubt we have more than we should, but some of us actively work to change that.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Another misconception is that slavery only refers to slavery in the u.s. It's occurred throughout the world throughout human history. This doesn't diminish the horror of slavery but it does reveal a lack of historical perspective.

It's my observation that economic hardship precedes an uptick in racism - something or somebody to blame your problems on. Since ohio is currently having tough times, it's not a stretch that it's popping up there - in combination with the possibility of a non-anglo saxon president.

I also agree that southern racism is different than northern. In some ways, southerners are not quite as mean (I can't believe I just said that).

Hay . I hear what your saying I am white . Don't insult me with whites are Franks BS. OK. Maybe you britts except that . Not alot of Americans will . Maybe on the east coast . But not in the midwest. Sorry I put this in the wrong place how I don't know . But it was in referance to the anglo saxon statement. I do admit tho I rather be referred to as a Frank . Than a GAUL

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: chess9

Southern Ohio is very redneck.

-Robert

I am from chicago and recently moved down here about 5 months ago.

Average eduaction level of adults... 9th grade.

They know nothing other than what they are told by the church and via word of mouth.

There is a fantastic amount of McCain/Palin signs all over the place.

It is a perfect example of what is wrong with the United States.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

Hay . I hear what your saying I am white . Don't insult me with whites are Franks BS. OK. Maybe you britts except that . Not alot of Americans will . Maybe on the east coast . But not in the midwest. Sorry I put this in the wrong place how I don't know . But it was in referance to the anglo saxon statement.

So, what's your point?

Is english your first language? You would be taken more seriously if people could understand what you're trying to convey - assuming that is your intention. Any basic grammar text will describe rudimentary subject/verb/object and punctuation concepts. And don't feel too insulted - you're not the only one here who could use a refresher. There are many aids available for pc's these days. Firefox has a built-in spell checker. And there is one available for internet explorer v7 called ie7pro.

And, in regards to the anglo saxon reference, I should have said white anglo-saxon - which is almost a wasp (white anglo-saxon protestant).

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Point is all whites are not Germans. Also you seem educated . So you shouldn't be having a problem . If you would simply point out what the problem is. Your having with comprehension. I gladly help ya out. Please show were your struggling .

I will tell ya what . I being ignorant and all . Lets do a test. You wright anything and miss it up okay like mine . Lets see if I understand .. Don't use punctuation. I don't believe I will have any problems. Seems you eduuucated guys struggle if everthing isn't laid out perfect. Why is that?

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Point is all whites are not Germans.
Why do you say this? Did someone state this or allude to it? Maybe you're getting this from the saxon reference. This might help clear some things up.

And, what is white? caucasian? Are natives of spain white? italy? romania? russia? australia?

Also you seem educated . So you shouldn't be having a problem . If you would simply point out what the problem is. Your having with comprehension. I gladly help ya out. Please show were your struggling .

I will tell ya what . I being ignorant and all . Lets do a test. You wright anything and miss it up okay like mine . Lets see if I understand .. Don't use punctuation. I don't believe I will have any problems.
Look up the definition of irony (sometimes referred to as "the ironing" on these forums). I don't have time to play right now - maybe some other time.

Seems you eduuucated guys struggle if everthing isn't laid out perfect. Why is that?[/b]
Just dense, I guess. And, this is not a very good excuse for your sloppiness.

When you say "you eduuucated guys', I assume you don't consider yourself educated. Why is that? Do you have any desire to change this? Do you recognize the difference between smart and educated?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Dari

Which of the following statements is bigoted or racist?

"He's not a christian. This is a christian nation. What is our country gonna end up like?"

"He's related to a known terrorist for one."

"Obama and his wife - I'm concerned that they could be anti-white, and he might hide that."

"I don't like the fact that he thinks us white people are trash... Because we're not."

Ignorant? Yes.

Bigoted or Racist? No.

Cherry-picking quotes won't get far with me. Try harder next time.

These are the quotes from the site in the OP, as well as what Harvey posted.

That's not all he posted. Like I said, you cherry-picked and you know it.

He posted 2 other quotes that I said WERE bigoted. Can you read?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Man, oh man, I can't stand ignorant bigoted redneck fools like this. I think the GOP needs a smaller tent. One where these morons can't fit, or at minimum are relegated to sideshow freakery.
Those who couldn't fit, went into Billary's tent :D

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How do you know what you see on Youtube has not been edited. Are your a dope or a dupe?

p.s. I don't doubt there are biggots out there. obama himself is a race bater.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Acanthus

-Robert

They know nothing other than what they are told by the church and via word of mouth.

Rural America is a perfect example of what is wrong with the United States?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Which of the following statements is bigoted or racist?

"He's not a christian. This is a christian nation. What is our country gonna end up like?"

"He's related to a known terrorist for one."

"Obama and his wife - I'm concerned that they could be anti-white, and he might hide that."

"I don't like the fact that he thinks us white people are trash... Because we're not."

Ignorant? Yes.

Bigoted or Racist? No.

Cherry-picking quotes won't get far with me. Try harder next time.

These are the quotes from the site in the OP, as well as what Harvey posted.

That's not all he posted. Like I said, you cherry-picked and you know it.

He posted 2 other quotes that I said WERE bigoted. Can you read?

Why don't you look at what you posted and what he posted. They're similar but not identical. Again, stop cherry-picking.

BTW, you're starting to bore me.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Darwin333

-Robert

Only if you think bigotry and ignorance are "problems."

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

-Robert

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian

-Robert

So you think that, in general, rural Americans are ignorant bigots?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: smashp
Originally posted by: ironwing
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: smashp
Yeeeehaaaaaw, welcome to Rural Ohio

Yeah seriously, it's basically one giant trailer park that encompasses thousands of square miles.

Ever seen the movie Gummo?

That taught me all I need to know about people from rural Ohio.

Yeah, and morons who can't understand how to use a ballot taught me all I need to know about Floridians.

I'm sick of all this rural-bashing from the left. It's every bit as intolerant and short-sighted as the anti-intellectualism that has developed on the right. The vast majority of rural folk are intelligent, open-minded people who simply do not desire to live in a city crammed on top of a bunch of other people. I understand that city folk need to grasp at something in order to feel good about the hell-holes they live in, but the anti-rural attitude is getting tedious.

ZV

That's all fine and good. Now if rural folks (note that vast majority of rural folks are not farmers) would pay their own way and quit expecting to have their breeding/schools/roads/health care/utilities subsidized by urban taxpayers then the city slickers might stop looking down on them.

The locality in which I grew up funded its own schools (in fact, in Ohio it's the rural school districts that fund the urban districts as schools used to be funded solely by the district's property taxes until urban districts complained that they weren't getting enough money because they couldn't get their own districts to pay for schooling).

And aside from Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, and Toledo, there aren't big urban centers in Ohio (and Toledo is stretching things to call it an urban center). The vast majority of Ohio counties are strictly rural and do not rely on urban centers for their income to fund county/township/local roads, healthcare, or public services/utilities.

But don't let the facts get in your way.

ZV

Local property taxes fund Local schools

Proof

Rural property taxes are not funding city schools

*sigh*

While that method is currently in place, it has been ruled unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court and the the state is working now to find other ways to structure school funding.

Even if that weren't the case that this method is going by the wayside due to the court ruling, your link only goes to support my point that cities in Ohio are NOT subsidizing the rural areas as many here would have us believe.

ZV

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian

-Robert

So you think that, in general, rural Americans are ignorant bigots?

I already tried to point out the P&N double standard and hipocracy, it doesnt work.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

-Robert

I am not at all surprised that someone raised in Chicago and who is accustomed to the Daley family's brand of political insanity does not understand rural Ohio. Personally, my own view is that the rampant corruption and denial of personal freedoms exemplified by Chicago politicians are perfect examples of what's wrong with the United States.

ZV

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

-Robert

I am not at all surprised that someone raised in Chicago and who is accustomed to the Daley family's brand of political insanity does not understand rural Ohio. Personally, my own view is that the rampant corruption and denial of personal freedoms exemplified by Chicago politicians are perfect examples of what's wrong with the United States.

ZV
Hey I lived in a trailer park when I was younger, I totally understand your values.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV
I can't argue that my sample isn't small (minute, really) in comparison to the total population. This argument could be used to call into doubt just about any argument made here on p&n. For example, if I say I read X in some publication to make some argument, the publication could be called into doubt. This is something I've given quite a bit of thought to and have no solution. I'm often amused when someone here vigorously defends some position with commercial or gov't publications. They could be inaccurate by accident or design. Take any statement made by the white house press secretary. How much credence should it be given?

And then there's the polls of 1000 or 5000 people that supposedly take the temperature of the country...

Nevertheless, my experience is that rural (usually, less educated) people in ohio are in many ways good people but still somewhat racist. This does indeed apply to mainly older people (>50) but I've noticed this attitude in 'some' younger folks (also, less educated).

In the future, you, and anyone else who cares, can assume that opinions I give are from my experience, real or imagined, and, unless noted, are not the result of sophisticated data gathering or sampling.

I'm not saying anything about the representativeness of your sample size. Nothing at all.

What I'm saying is that even in your observations, even within your sample, you cannot say that "most" of your sample behaves in the way you describe. For example, I drive and fly a lot for work. I see a lot of people who behave like jerks. My knee-jerk reaction is to think that most, or at least many, people are jerks due to the fact that I take more notice of someone being annoying than of someone who is just "there". However, when I actually think about it, I encounter literally thousands of people in a given week and only 1-3 jerks. That's far fewer than 1% of the total number of people I come into contact with and yet it always seems like the number is much larger when I only think about incidents I can remember.

This has nothing to do with using or not using sophisticated data gathering or sampling; rather, it is merely pointing out that one needs to take at least the availability heuristic into consideration before one comments on his own experience.

ZV