Bigot mayor fires lesbian police chief, town strips him of power...in the South!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Feel good story for today:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/small-south-carolina-town-rallies-for-fired-gay-police-chief/

LATTA, S.C. - When openly gay police chief Crystal Moore was fired by a mayor who condemned her lifestyle as "questionable," she feared her two decade career in law enforcement in this town was over.

Then, this conservative, small town rebelled.

The people of Latta, who voted overwhelmingly for a state amendment banning gay marriage eight years ago, turned against the mayor, stripped him of his powers and the town council rehired Moore. They said her dedication to the town mattered more than her sexual orientation.

The South is coming around. Slowly, but surely.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good for them. thats a start. now we need to move onto the Federal level

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Indeed! Nice to see people stand up and kick out politicians when needed and to do what is right. We need more...much more.

The problem there, of course, is that almost everybody does what they would defend as right. The difficulty is always knowing if it really is.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Congrats on on South Carolina once again showing that conservatives are more tolerant than liberals :thumbsup:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not sure what this proves.....for some reason wacko conservatives like our very own TH love lesbians but still hate homosexuals.

Good for the town doing the right thing.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
"I'd much rather have somebody who drank and drank too much taking care of my child than I had somebody whose lifestyle is questionable around children, because that ain't the damn way it's supposed to be."

wow, what a prick

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not sure what this proves.....for some reason wacko conservatives like our very own TH love lesbians but still hate homosexuals.

inddoctrinated hate is strong with this one. bet you dont believe tea party is closer to wall street occupy than your establishment democrats either, this division is why we cant have nice things

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's easy to discriminate against an idea. When you attach faces to those ideas, the person will be capable of winning hearts and minds on the quality of their character.

It would appear that the police chief has earned her position.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

I think it comes down to the fact that knew the person and realized she was a good cop. They are against homosexuals, because the idea is something they aren't comfortable. Once they are able to know a person beyond the one facet of their life they were able to make a better judgement. As more homosexuals come into the open and the public are exposed to them, hopefully people realize they are just people too.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, the conservative mayor who fired her is a prime example.

You mean the conservative mayor who got a massive smack down by his town full of conservatives?

Funny, I don't see liberals smacking down other liberals who are intolerant.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Pretty much.

It's also much harder for guys to understand (or admit to in some cases) any amount of male same sex attraction because of our culture. Seems to be changing with the younger generations though.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
inddoctrinated hate is strong with this one. bet you dont believe tea party is closer to wall street occupy than your establishment democrats either, this division is why we cant have nice things

Nice crack pipe you've been hitting.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Unfortunately she doesn't look anything like the lesbians I am used to seeing on my favorite websites. I was getting all excited about this story and then I saw a pic of her and was let down on so many levels.

Anyways it's nice she could get her job back. Shame on the naughty mayor.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
The REAL bigots here are the people who did not allow the mayor to be a bigot... what the fuck happened to 'Murica, people?!

:colbert: