bigadv Folding now on native Windows!

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
At this point this client is practically useless. The A3 client currently dumps WUs if you so much as look at the computer. Given that most of the people that want to run this client are those that have powerful systems that need, for some reason or another, to run Windows (most likely because they need to use it for other tasks), I wouldn't rate very highly the probability that these systems will ever finish a WU.

But having said that, I guess it's at least a step in the right direction.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
My current A3 bigadv (in a VM) restarted after a reboot. From kasson's post it seems the Windows version is more stable. I've had no issues with regular A3 WUs.

The 2684 WU takes a little over 3 days on a 4GHz i7 920, so obviously if you're going to be using a lot of CPU cycles for other things you'll want to skip the bigadv. I would guess that many people use Windows due to gaming & GPU crunching.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Running my first Windows bigadv. Stopped & restarted with no issues. Frame time is about the same as Linux in VM. If you're running with GPU make sure you disable CPU affinity lock on all clients (with CPU affinity lock on my frame times increased about 4min).

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
My current A3 bigadv (in a VM) restarted after a reboot. From kasson's post it seems the Windows version is more stable. I've had no issues with regular A3 WUs.

The 2684 WU takes a little over 3 days on a 4GHz i7 920, so obviously if you're going to be using a lot of CPU cycles for other things you'll want to skip the bigadv. I would guess that many people use Windows due to gaming & GPU crunching.

My goodness the 2684 WU is a beast. Takes about 1 hour per 1% done. I will miss the preferred deadline, but I should get it done before the 6 day deadline. All in all it's about 100 hours of full-time crunching on a 3.2Ghz i7. That's a lot of computing time and power!

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
My goodness the 2684 WU is a beast. Takes about 1 hour per 1% done. I will miss the preferred deadline, but I should get it done before the 6 day deadline. All in all it's about 100 hours of full-time crunching on a 3.2Ghz i7. That's a lot of computing time and power!

The base points for this WU is 8955, so you definitely want to finish before the preferred deadline in order to get bonus. If you're up for OCing a little higher, 3.5+ seems to be needed to accomplish this.