Big Hair in the NFL

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I watched the Steelers take on KC last night and while I enjoy watching Polamalu play I seriously think he needs to cut his hair. When he intercepted and Larry Johnson ran him down to make the tackle and brought him to the ground by his hair a penalty was called against KC (unnecessary roughness). I think it was fair game - there should be regulations in the NFL about having your hair hanging out of your helmet. End of story. Your thoughts?

STORY - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06289/730398-87.stm
About the only thing the Chiefs could be proud of was a sensational effort Johnson made on a touchdown-saving play that ended with him pulling Polamalu down by the hair.

It happened early in the third quarter after Polamalu intercepted a deflected pass and appeared headed for a touchdown. Johnson never quit on the play, fighting off a block and running down Polamalu. Considering the Steelers led, 31-0, at the time, no one would have blinked if he had mailed in his effort.

As it turned out, everybody blinked twice to make sure their eyes weren't deceiving them. Did Johnson really yank Polamalu down by his long, flowing hair?

"The dude had hair. What do you want me to do?" Johnson asked. "That's the only thing I could get my hands on."

A player's hair is considered part of his uniform so Johnson's tackle was legal. Johnson got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty because he tussled with Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor after the play.

"I hope I got the penalty for hitting Ike Taylor twice in the face," Johnson said, smirking. "It was real cute that Ike Taylor came over and tried to defend his boy."

That was the most fight Johnson and the Chiefs showed all day.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The penalty wasn't for tackling by the hair. It was for the activity after the tackle.

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I didnt see this Tackle, but if he was pulled downward instead of backwards it is a horse collar. Thats why unnecessary roughness gets called. Pulling someone directly down by the hair or shirt collar cane cause an injury pretty easily. However grabbing someone and pulling them towards you by the hair/collar is legal, since it is more likely to cause them to fall backwards in a less awkward motion.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
The penalty wasn't for tackling by the hair. It was for the activity after the tackle.

How so? Johnson didn't do anything rough after he tackled Paulmalo... and Troy just ran off like nothing even happened.

" He ran down Troy Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return in the third by grabbing the safety by his long hair. Johnson whipped Polamalu to the ground along the Chiefs' sideline, drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and touching off a brief skirmish."

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
"I hope I got the penalty for hitting Ike Taylor twice in the face," Johnson said, smirking. "It was real cute that Ike Taylor came over and tried to defend his boy."

MUAHAHHA
take your L and shut up.... good line though

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

How so? Johnson didn't do anything rough after he tackled Paulmalo... and Troy just ran off like nothing even happened.

" He ran down Troy Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return in the third by grabbing the safety by his long hair. Johnson whipped Polamalu to the ground along the Chiefs' sideline, drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and touching off a brief skirmish."

"Johnson got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty because he tussled with Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor after the play. "

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

:confused:
Did you even read your OP?
A player's hair is considered part of his uniform so Johnson's tackle was legal. Johnson got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty because he tussled with Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor after the play.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
That's what was confusing. I never saw him tussle w/ Ike... must have been grabbin a beer.

It's clear now.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I wonder why doesn't he just tie it up and stick it under his shoulder pads or under his helmet.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I think it's a way for them to try and stand out on the field over the other players.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I wonder why doesn't he just tie it up and stick it under his shoulder pads or under his helmet.

But then it wouldn't be free flowing and his popularity would drop immensely.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lokiju
I think it's a way for them to try and stand out on the field over the other players.
I think the way he plays does it. There's plenty of Players sporting dreadlocks today.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

The penalty was for unsportmanlike conduct after the tackle. The hair is part of the body and if someone is stupid enough to let it hand out of their helmet, it is fair game to use when tackling.

jaysgirl

Apr 8, 2005
It's a personal choice. He wants to pay homage to his somoan roots, who cares? But if he doesn't want it getting pulled, he should tie it up so it can't be grabbed so easily.

Dec 27, 2001
You want to know a main reason for the long hair? So you stand out. Even great players blend in with everybody else and, in time, you forget about them. But the guys with hair that sticks way out stand out and are noticed and remembered.

It's just one way these guys earn themselves a little more notoriety.

Other than that, I think there's a "Sampson" complex associated with long hair. It might make some guys feel more mighty.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The only reason Troy should cut his hair is because he MIGHT have escaped and gone all the way for a TD. The foul was not a bad call, the refs just never clearly explained the penalty. You're allowed to grab players by their hair (its considered part of the jersey or whatever), you're just not allowed to hold onto it. Once he got Troy to the ground he should have let go.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
The only reason Troy should cut his hair is because he MIGHT have escaped and gone all the way for a TD. The foul was not a bad call, the refs just never clearly explained the penalty. You're allowed to grab players by their hair (its considered part of the jersey or whatever), you're just not allowed to hold onto it. Once he got Troy to the ground he should have let go.

But he got tangled.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
It's not common that Polamalu gets tackled anyway since he's a frickin Safety. He intercepts the ball once in a blue moon, so it's not like he has the potential to get tackled in every play.

Polamalu's hair stays!

Edit:
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

But he got tangled.

LJ yanked him up by his hair after he tackled him.