Big donors are the key to Obama's record haul

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think that part of what's going on is that middle and upper middle class progressives have finally seen the light, that they need to put their money where their mouth is. Many of us handle our finances more conservatively than most conservatives, so we're willing to forego that new computer bought with our tax rebate cheques in favor of a new president... People who've never made a political contribution in their lives are giving generously to the Obama campaign...

Financing the Obama campaign and the campaigns of other progressive democrats is a good investment in the future of America. You don't have to be rich to cough up $1000, just dedicated.

You do have to be rich to fund major "charities", thinktanks, 527's and grease the wheels of the RNC, for example, which is the biggest money laundering operation in politics, maybe the world...

right now, the DNC has ~$5M, the RNC has ~$70M, so, uhh, I'll leave it to your imaginations to figure out where the really big money is going...

Here's an honest breakdown of donors and amounts-

http://www.opensecrets.org/pre...nordems.php?cycle=2008

The actual # of large donors for both is surprisingly similar, it's just that Obama has an extra 100K donors who gave $200 or less...

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
My argument??

My argument is that Obama claims to be different and yet every time we turn around we see he is no different than any other politician.

Obama's own words:?We have revolutionized how campaigns are financed at the small level,? ?The overwhelming bulk of donors are ordinary Americans, not fat cats.? Yet a third of his money comes from the fat cats.

The disconnect is strong with this one.

PJ doesn't get the difference between $ amt and the number of ppl donating either, it seems.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Everybody takes donations from anyone they can get them from. Obama is no different than any other candidate thats run for president in the last 30 years.

Lie. He does not take them from some of the groups, like lobbyists and PACs, that others do.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I love how "Republicans" get upset that Obama is playing their game....
I thought Obama claimed to be different though...

One reason Obama is doing poorly in the polls is that people are starting to see through this false facade that he built up about being a different type of politician. Once they do that they realize that he is an extreme liberal with very little experience.

Do you have any clue as to why you are not entitled to criticize Obama for doing something that you are not criticizing the Republicans for doing?

You can point out the facts and the issues with his not doing it as people think, if that's the case, but you are not in any position to say he's wrong for it, when you condone it before.

Now for the relevant issue you did not answer: how do his big donor ratios compare to other candidates, especially to McCain?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
My argument??

My argument is that Obama claims to be different and yet every time we turn around we see he is no different than any other politician.
OK. Now why should I vote for that old Crank McSame? I hated what Bush did to this country over the last two terms why the fuck would I vote for 4 more years of it?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I think that part of what's going on is that middle and upper middle class progressives have finally seen the light, that they need to put their money where their mouth is. Many of us handle our finances more conservatively than most conservatives, so we're willing to forego that new computer bought with our tax rebate cheques in favor of a new president... People who've never made a political contribution in their lives are giving generously to the Obama campaign...

Financing the Obama campaign and the campaigns of other progressive democrats is a good investment in the future of America. You don't have to be rich to cough up $1000, just dedicated.

You do have to be rich to fund major "charities", thinktanks, 527's and grease the wheels of the RNC, for example, which is the biggest money laundering operation in politics, maybe the world...

right now, the DNC has ~$5M, the RNC has ~$70M, so, uhh, I'll leave it to your imaginations to figure out where the really big money is going...

The actual # of large donors for both is surprisingly similar, it's just that Obama has an extra 100K donors who gave $200 or less...

Dang those pesky facts from the FEC!

% of Contributions from Donors of $200 or less

BHO - - - - 48%
McBush - - 28%

% of Contributions from Donors of $2,300+

BHO - - - - 26%
McBush - - 53%

Jhhnn - - - -1
Johnboy - - 0

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
My argument??

Obama's own words:?We have revolutionized how campaigns are financed at the small level,? ?The overwhelming bulk of donors are ordinary Americans, not fat cats.? Yet a third of his money comes from the fat cats.

:confused:

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

BHO - - - - 48%
McBush - - 28%

BHO - - - - 26%
McBush - - 53%

Jhhnn - - - -1
Johnboy - - 0

Pwned.

Sit down, PJ. Eat a peice of bacon and call it a day.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

BHO - - - - 48%
McBush - - 28%

BHO - - - - 26%
McBush - - 53%

Jhhnn - - - -1
Johnboy - - 0

Thanks for looking up the facts. Sadly, now that PJ has been rebutted as usual, he'll be on to his next attempt to post something like this, and the next, unconcerned with the truth.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My argument??

Even though you've been thoroughly owned about 3 different ways in this thread, here's what factcheck.org had to say on the issue. Small donations of $200 or less make up half of the total funds Obama has (well, had at the time) pulled in. This is hugely different then McCain.

Obama never said he didn't take money from rich people, he just said that a huge hunk of his massive total is coming from ordinary Americans, something that his average donation size speaks very strongly for.

Pro-Jo be honest with us, show us the right wing website you got this from. Before copy/pasting stupid crap like this you should do some research yourself. It will save you some embarrassment.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
My argument??

2/3 IS the overwhelming bulk. What is so hard about this concept?
:roll:

Stop trolling!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is the NEW YORK FUCKING TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
link

When did they become a right wing web site?

My question wasn't as to the source of the story, but as to your interpretation as to what it meant to his campaign and its stance on fundraising. I figured it hewed so close to standard talking points that you got it from somewhere. If you're just doing this on autopilot by this point, that's probably even worse though.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
It is the NEW YORK FUCKING TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
link

When did they become a right wing web site?

No cares about the story title and/or sorce in this case. And as already pointed out by heyheybooboo...

BHO - - - - 48%
McBush - - 28%

BHO - - - - 26%
McBush - - 53%

McCain gets most of his money from big donors while Obama gets most from smaller donors.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

BHO - - - - 48%
McBush - - 28%

BHO - - - - 26%
McBush - - 53%

Jhhnn - - - -1
Johnboy - - 0
well....that takes care of that then :)

thanks for the info and SOME REAL FACTS regarding campaign contributions.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan
Why is this topic so friggin laughable "A FULL THIRD" << LOLLOLLOL

33% ??

33% from large contributions

66% from small contributions

but lets not focus on that last figure. :roll:

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: dahunan
Why is this topic so friggin laughable "A FULL THIRD" << LOLLOLLOL

33% ??

33% from large contributions

66% from small contributions

but lets not focus on that last figure. :roll:

They learn this shit from Rush or someone :laugh:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Looks like another Obama facade is coming down. The idea that he is being fueled by small money donations. A full third of his money has come from people giving $1000 or more. He has raised more money via large donations than Hillary and McCain combined.

All this talk about a campaign for the people is just that, talk. And his pledge to not take money from lobbyists is a bunch of BS as well. At least 130 of his bundlers are lawyers from law firms with lobbying arms. And another 100 are top executives or brokers from investment businesses. Obama can claim to not talk money from the lobbyists themselves, but he is taking money from everyone else associated with them.

I wonder how much of this story will get into the mainstream American press.
link
I am only posting the first page of the article, if you want the rest click the link.
In an effort to cast himself as independent of the influence of money on politics, Senator Barack Obama often highlights the campaign contributions of $200 or less that have amounted to fully half of the $340 million he has collected so far.

But records show that a third of his record-breaking haul has come from donations of $1,000 or more - a total of $112 million, more than the total of contributions in that category taken in by either Senator John McCain, his Republican rival, or Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, his opponent in the Democratic primaries.

Behind those large donations is a phalanx of more than 500 Obama "bundlers," fund-raisers who have each collected contributions totaling $50,000 or more. Many of the bundlers come from industries with critical interests in Washington. Nearly three dozen of the bundlers have raised more than $500,000, including more than a half-dozen who have passed the $1 million mark and one or two who have exceeded $2 million, according to interviews with fund-raisers.

While his campaign has cited its volume of small donations as a rationale for his decision to opt out of public financing for the general election, Obama has worked to build a network of big-dollar supporters from the time he began contemplating a run for the U.S. Senate.

He tapped into well-connected people in Chicago before the 2004 Senate race, and, once elected, set out across the country starting in 2005 to cultivate some of his party's most influential money collectors.

He courted them with the savvy of a veteran politician, through phone calls, meals and one-on-one meetings; he wrote thank-you cards and remembered birthdays; he sent them autographed copies of his book and doted on their children.

The fruit of his efforts has put Obama's major donors on a pace that almost rivals the $147 million that President George W. Bush's Pioneer and Ranger network raised in $1,000-and-larger contributions in 2004 during the primary season.

Given his decision not to accept public financing, Obama is counting on his bundlers to help him raise $300 million for his campaign for the general election and another $180 million for the Democratic National Committee.

An analysis of campaign finance records shows that about two-thirds of his bundlers are concentrated in four major industries: law, securities and investments, real estate and entertainment. Lawyers make up the largest group at about 130, with many working for firms that also have lobbying arms. At least 100 Obama bundlers are top executives or brokers from investment businesses - nearly two dozen work for financial titans like Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. About 40 others come from the real-estate industry.

The biggest fund-raisers include people like Julius Genachowski, a former senior official at the Federal Communications Commission and a technology executive who is new to big-time political fund-raising; Robert Wolf, president and chief operating officer of UBS Investment Bank; James Torrey, a New York hedge fund investor; and Charles Rivkin, an animation studio head in Los Angeles.

"It's fairly clear that this is being packaged as an extraordinary new kind of fund-raising, and the Internet is a new and powerful part of it," said Michael Malbin, executive director of the Campaign Finance Institute. "But it's also clear that many of the old donors are still there and important."

The care and feeding of top Obama fund-raisers underscores their significance to his campaign. Members of his National Finance Committee who fulfill their commitment to raise at least $250,000 are being rewarded with trips to the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Finance committee members participate in biweekly conference calls with top campaign officials. The fund-raisers meet quarterly, often with Obama dropping in. He lingered after the meeting last month in Chicago, telling his staff he wanted to thank every person in the room. Some fund-raisers who knocked on doors for Obama in places like Iowa, Pennsylvania and Indiana got to spend time with Obama backstage before and after speeches on primary nights.

His fund-raisers invariably say their support for him is not rooted in any kind of promise of access but in their belief in him.

"This is about Barack Obama and changing the direction of our country," said Jonathan Perdue, a business consultant in Mill Valley, California, who has raised more than $250,000 for Obama's campaign.

Obama has pledged not to accept donations from federally registered lobbyists or political action committees. But some top donors clearly have policy and political agendas. Hedge fund executives, for example, have bundled large sums for Obama at a time their industry has been looking to increase its clout in Washington.

I saw an article about this a while back, McCain has received about 11% of his money from private donors, Obama about 42%. OBama still has the largest base of private donors in presidential history.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Carmen813
I saw an article about this a while back, McCain has received about 11% of his money from private donors, Obama about 42%. OBama still has the largest base of private donors in presidential history.

Factcheck has different numbers:

The vast majority of the funds raised by the two campaigns has come from individual donors...Individual contributions make up 88 percent of the total amount raised by the McCain campaign and 100 percent of the money raised by the Obama campaign.

The CRP says the rest of McCain's money has come from political action committees (just 1 percent of his donations) and from "other" sources, which include interest from campaign bank accounts and loans from outside sources (11 percent)... Obama has also received a small amount of money from "other" sources, though not enough to account for even 1 percent of his donations.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Presidential campaigns are betting contests and Obama is a damn good bet for September. Of course he's getting the big money thrown his way.

I don't know why people are even shocked by this anymore. That sort of thing has been going on since long before any of us in here were even born.

' :Q ' <==== That is ProfJohn's feigned shock and outrage.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: Carmen813

Factcheck has different numbers:

The vast majority of the funds raised by the two campaigns has come from individual donors...Individual contributions make up 88 percent of the total amount raised by the McCain campaign and 100 percent of the money raised by the Obama campaign.

The CRP says the rest of McCain's money has come from political action committees (just 1 percent of his donations) and from "other" sources, which include interest from campaign bank accounts and loans from outside sources (11 percent)... Obama has also received a small amount of money from "other" sources, though not enough to account for even 1 percent of his donations.

It was in Time or newsweek magazine a few months back.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Everybody takes donations from anyone they can get them from. Obama is no different than any other candidate thats run for president in the last 30 years.

:thumbsup:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Can you give us GWB's figures so that we can compare? Thanks.

He received most of his money from big oil lobbyist.

;)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Deudalus
Your argument is silly though. What might be throwing your numbers off, PJ, is that out here on the Left Coast even the wealthiest are voting Democratic after the Bush debacle. Here in Portland, or in Seattle or SF, Obama signs are common even in front of large multi-million dollar estates, as they are in front of rented duplexes. So you got nothing.

The argument that if you are rich you are Republican is bullshit though.

Hollywood elites are very rich and very liberal by nature for example.

I don't disagree. I'm just poking holes in the OP's argument. Except we don't have any Hollywood elites here in Portland, Seattle, or SF. They're in LA.

IMO though, the dividing line between Pub/Dem in this country is not rich vs. poor, as it is seemingly always framed, but rural vs. urban.

Suburban = Republican