Bidet / toilet question, oh my! Helping an old relative

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is why I like to never finish the ceiling in a basement, if you want a finished look do drop ceiling. Makes it so much easier to add something upstairs in the future like data drops, power etc.

From upstairs then you just cut your outlet hole (for power I like to go against a stud so I can screw it in from inside the box) and drill down to the basement then you can run wire that way. This should work for plumbing too, but now you have an unwanted hole in the wall but in the case of a bidet you'd want an outlet too anyway so do the plumbing first through the square hole you created then electrical after. Long drill bits are handy for this type of work.

Feb 4, 2009
Just depends on what type of house design you have and where existing outlets / power are in your room. For me, I have an outlet on the same wall as the toilet, but on the opposite side of the wall, so I could simply drop a wire from that outlet down to a new outlet, cut a hole for a new box, put it in, and be ready to rock. Most outlets have double terminals since they are meant to be daisy chained, so if you get lucky and have the last outlet on a chain it's pretty simple. Similarly, if you have a switch box nearby, you can just drop a line from the switch box and tie into the hot, neutral, and ground from there.

Worst case, you'd have to tie a new wire in in the attic or crawlspace, which could become very challenging.

Ranch, running wires will not be an issue. I have a box nearby in the basement

Feb 4, 2009
Basically, bidets come in 3 types:

1. Basic (cold water, with a knob...avoid like the plague) $
2. Decent (warm water, wireless remote) $$
3. Ridiculous (self-cleaning, motorized lid, etc.) $$$

The 6800 model is nice for a few reasons:

1. It goes on sale for $200 to $250 (vs. $400 to $600). Still expensive but not like PS5 expensive lol.
2. It has a blue LED nightlight, super handy for midnight runs!
3. You can set the temp of the water (water-line, warm, hot)
4. The seat is heated (can turn on/off)
5. You can attach it aftermarket to any round (or elongated) toilet you want (no special $2,000 Toto-whatever required!)
6. You can adjust the position of the water spout, as well as the speed & pulse of the water
7. It does have a dryer in it, but it takes forever
8. Costco purchase + great customer service (I had to replace a cracked seat & they just mailed a whole one out for free!)

You'll never go back to "just" using TP, no joke. I don't know why these haven't caught on in America, they need to!! The 6800 is a really decent budget model. Lots of features, pricey but not insane, easy to install, etc. I picked up another one last Black Friday.

Finally purchased and installed a Costco 6800 biobidet.
First day review from me:
It is glorious
Wife likes the front wash more than I expected.
Looks a little funky with all the water lines and slopped seat cover but I will get over that.

Thanks for the great suggestion @Kaido
OP if you haven’t found one yet look at this model. Hardest part will be getting power to it and remote may take some time for an older guy to figure out but once it is set it stays set or set up the user profile button thing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of toilets was looking at composting toilets for fun. Tabarnak those are expensive. :eek: I can build a luxery outhouse that has a hot tub, shower and wall to wall magazine rack for that price.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Finally purchased and installed a Costco 6800 biobidet.
First day review from me:
It is glorious
Wife likes the front wash more than I expected.
Looks a little funky with all the water lines and slopped seat cover but I will get over that.

Thanks for the great suggestion @Kaido
OP if you haven’t found one yet look at this model. Hardest part will be getting power to it and remote may take some time for an older guy to figure out but once it is set it stays set or set up the user profile button thing.

Yeah it's definitely a bolt-on model. I know a guy who just had a $2,000 bidet-toilet installed. Some of the higher-end models are like $6 or $7k & feature self-cleaning, automatic deodorizing, etc. At that price, I'd want one with a built-in externally-vented ventilation fan lol.

I do like the blue nightlight, I don't have to blind myself at night for a quick bathroom trip haha! And yeah, once you get used to a heated seat, heated water, only having to use one piece of toilet paper (the air-dryer fan feature takes too long imo), etc. it's hard to go back. Still a weird topic to talk about, but I really don't know why these aren't standard in America.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Speaking of toilets was looking at composting toilets for fun. Tabarnak those are expensive. :eek: I can build a luxery outhouse that has a hot tub, shower and wall to wall magazine rack for that price.

My buddy has an outhouse that he actually uses lol. His property came with a barn & a vintage outhouse. The low-tech appeals to him I guess haha.

Feb 4, 2009
Will a washlet work on a full-sized person?

I don’t like those bidets with the attached control and I am not sure why.
with the 6800 bidet you do have a little less “space” because of the tank and nozzle in the back. I’m a normal sized guy and I fit fine but I sit a little more forward than I am used to.
If you are really tall it might be awkward or aim wrong.
seats do have a weight limit so be aware of that.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
with the 6800 bidet you do have a little less “space” because of the tank and nozzle in the back. I’m a normal sized guy and I fit fine but I sit a little more forward than I am used to.
My comment was supposed to suggest a manlet joke.

Honestly, I'm still weirded out by the concept of bidets because of splashage and cleaning of the equipment itself. Additionally, none of my bathrooms are wired with power near the toilets. If I had thought of it, I likely would have put a receptacle in when I redid the last 2 bathrooms.

I'm going to be reworking drywall in my cabins and may see about adding some new wiring while I have the walls open. It's something to consider.

Feb 4, 2009
My comment was supposed to suggest a manlet joke.

Honestly, I'm still weirded out by the concept of bidets because of splashage and cleaning of the equipment itself. Additionally, none of my bathrooms are wired with power near the toilets. If I had thought of it, I likely would have put a receptacle in when I redid the last 2 bathrooms.

I'm going to be reworking drywall in my cabins and may see about adding some new wiring while I have the walls open. It's something to consider.

Yeah I was the same. Watch some videos on how they work, nothing could get poop on it unless you have an accident while it is cleaning you and that would have to be an explosive accident. Seems like they all have a self clean function after use.
Simple concept but hard to explain. Videos are really simple to understand.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Even if you don't plan to put a bidet having a few outlets around the toilet is a good idea. Ensures guests practice good aim and don't miss the toilet. ;)

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

I'm 6'7 and have no issues with the attached control arm.

Toto C100 Master Race.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
TMI warning. I also have an issue with needing to wipe a lot, like there is always a little bit left up in the hole or something. I've tried several different bidet styles while traveling and they don't seem to fix the issue either, just make my asshole wet. I think I need to take a ass rinsing class.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Good sale:

Swiped from Slickdeals:

1672061237546.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
TMI warning. I also have an issue with needing to wipe a lot, like there is always a little bit left up in the hole or something. I've tried several different bidet styles while traveling and they don't seem to fix the issue either, just make my asshole wet. I think I need to take a ass rinsing class.
wipe_and_wipe_parks_and_rec.gif

• Haha
Reactions: aigomorla and Zorba