Biden Says Don't Trust a Spying President

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I didnt now about it when bush was in office, if I had I would have been just as pissed.

it was in the news. I do suspect it was as bad as i tis today but just not known.

I was against the "Patriot act" from the start and one of the things i bitched about the government.

Apr 27, 2012
ivwshane, you really are quite the hack. Defend the Dems to the death.

He has lost any credibility he had. Only blind partisan hacks can defend obama on this and there are some in this thread.

These people are the hardcore obama supporters who don't care if he spies on Americans as long as they get their welfare by stealing from hard working taxpayers.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I heard somthing funny today on the news,

If the government can spy on us and track us so well, how come they are unable to locate the NSA leaker :D ?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I heard somthing funny today on the news,

If the government can spy on us and track us so well, how come they are unable to locate the NSA leaker :D ?

It is the media that cannot track him. I am sure the NSA knows exactly where he is at.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
wtf? i really will never understand this "lock step defend my party at all cost" bullshit.
I *think* ivwshane's point is that we haven't actually caught the government monitoring phone calls, we've only "caught" them collecting data before the originating company destroys it. And again, the data collected is not call content, which is what Biden was talking about.

Remember, you have to try to keep a level head when digesting nutter spin.

Fact: NSA collects copy of phone call metadata
Becomes: NSA is collecting all phone conversations

Biden's statements do not contradict the fact, only the blown out of proportion version of the fact.

I mean, look at the second reply in this thread saying that the government is doing "exactly that" when there is zero evidence to prove it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It is the media that cannot track him. I am sure the NSA knows exactly where he is at.

I bet they know where he is. If he were somewhere other than China they would be scraping pieces of him off the streets. Kill list anyone?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I *think* ivwshane's point is that we haven't actually caught the government monitoring phone calls, we've only "caught" them collecting data before the originating company destroys it. And again, the data collected is not call content, which is what Biden was talking about.

Biden's statements do not contradict the fact, only the blown out of proportion version of the fact.

I mean, look at the second reply in this thread saying that the government is doing "exactly that" when there is zero evidence to prove it.

"I don’t have to listen to your phone calls to know what you’re doing,” Biden said. “If I know every single phone call you made, I’m able to determine every single person you talk to, I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
"I don’t have to listen to your phone calls to know what you’re doing,” Biden said. “If I know every single phone call you made, I’m able to determine every single person you talk to, I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive.
Okay, maybe I misjudged what his point was. :hmm:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lol you guys are funny.

I agree with Bidens statement and I suspect most of you do as well. The fact that this admin is doing exactly what it says it didnt need to do doesnt change the fact that the statement is correct.

Unless of course you have no problem with spying on Americans in which case, yes I'm defending the anti spying statement made by Biden.

So who is the hack again?

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012

NARES devices duplicate and capture 100% of traffic that passes on a fiberoptic line... that is CONTENT my friend, not merely metadata. Look up San francisco and NSA... for context lookup William Benny.

as to content, NSA documents explicitly confirm that nsa has direct access to Google, Microsoft, Facebook... servers. that's email, that's skype covnversation, that's cloud storage, that is ALL FACEBOOK CONTENT,... etc, ect, etc

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Lol you guys are funny.

I agree with Bidens statement and I suspect most of you do as well. The fact that this admin is doing exactly what it says it didnt need to do doesnt change the fact that the statement is correct.

Unless of course you have no problem with spying on Americans in which case, yes I'm defending the anti spying statement made by Biden.

the problem is Biden's blatant hypocrisy. the problem is the spying that Biden's and Obamas administration is doing on Americans... look at what Obama is building to store all this Data FOrever

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lol you guys are funny.

Your support of Biden's message doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's right there alongside your unabashed support of the Obama administration no matter what they do. That's why people are rolling their eyes at you. Because you're sitting there telling us how you agree with Biden saying that the government shouldn't be spying on US citizens, while at the same time giving Obama a handjob under the table. That makes you a hack.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Holy sh1t, another thread where people are defending Pali, er, Biden!?!? Haha, partisan looners are partisan looners...

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Your support of Biden's message doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's right there alongside your unabashed support of the Obama administration no matter what they do. That's why people are rolling their eyes at you. Because you're sitting there telling us how you agree with Biden saying that the government shouldn't be spying on US citizens, while at the same time giving Obama a handjob under the table. That makes you a hack.

Really? Please find a post of me defending these actions.

It shouldn't be hard if I'm a liar but if you are a liar I doubt we will be seeing your face again in here.

I await your evidence.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
The sad part about all this is, is that people should be out protesting infront of the WH or Congress demanding answers and that people up top be held accountable. The media SHOULD be supporting this, but instead major players like CNN call Snowden a "traitor" and try to toss him under the bus.

The shear magnitude of what the government has the capability to do to somebody is down right scary, and people should be going nuts over this.

But instead we are slowly conditioned tobelieve we need to give up little freedoms here and there for the guise of protection.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
the problem is Biden's blatant hypocrisy. the problem is the spying that Biden's and Obamas administration is doing on Americans... look at what Obama is building to store all this Data FOrever

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

I'm well aware of the hypocrisy, I'm also well aware of the problem; the American people who are ok with giving up freedoms for security who vote in like minded individuals. This isn't a left/right issue its a mentality issue and the mentality is that people would rather be safe than free.

Having said that, can you show me where in the OP's post the word hypocrisy came up? All I see is a quoted comment and a desire to hear an opinion about the comment.

Are you mad that I only commented about the comment itself?

I'm sorry if I got in the way of your guys circle jerk.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The sad part about all this is, is that people should be out protesting infront of the WH or Congress demanding answers and that people up top be held accountable. The media SHOULD be supporting this, but instead major players like CNN call Snowden a "traitor" and try to toss him under the bus.

The shear magnitude of what the government has the capability to do to somebody is down right scary, and people should be going nuts over this.

But instead we are slowly conditioned tobelieve we need to give up little freedoms here and there for the guise of protection.

Change the channel and tell us how the other networks are reporting on it;)

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I'm well aware of the hypocrisy, I'm also well aware of the problem; the American people who are ok with giving up freedoms for security who vote in like minded individuals. This isn't a left/right issue its a mentality issue and the mentality is that people would rather be safe than free.

Having said that, can you show me where in the OP's post the word hypocrisy came up? All I see is a quoted comment and a desire to hear an opinion about the comment.

Are you mad that I only commented about the comment itself?

I'm sorry if I got in the way of your guys circle jerk.

You apparently are not aware of the hypocrisy.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Really? Please find a post of me defending these actions.

It shouldn't be hard if I'm a liar but if you are a liar I doubt we will be seeing your face again in here.

I await your evidence.

When did I say you defended these actions? As I said, you defend the Obama administration in general. This particular issue doesn't exist in a vacuum. The only thing you do around here is rip into Republicans. Whether they deserve it or not is immaterial to this conversation. The fact is, you and many of the other wingnuts around here hold Republicans in contempt, but find it nigh impossible to criticize your Dear Leader.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
When did I say you defended these actions? As I said, you defend the Obama administration in general. This particular issue doesn't exist in a vacuum. The only thing you do around here is rip into Republicans. Whether they deserve it or not is immaterial to this conversation. The fact is, you and many of the other wingnuts around here hold Republicans in contempt, but find it nigh impossible to criticize your Dear Leader.

And you and many other wing nuts in here bash the president whether he deserves it or not so I guess there is balance.

Also if you post has nothing to do with this topic, why bring it up? Or are you simply supplying me with more examples of you adding ZERO to the conversation?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Except Bush was doing it illegally, bypassing the FISA court. Spying on Americans actually started during the Cold War.

FISA court has nothing to do with collecting domestic intelligence which is what everyone is up in arms about right now. Furthermore, this is illegal too regardless of what bullshit law they are citing.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And you and many other wing nuts in here bash the president whether he deserves it or not so I guess there is balance.

Also if you post has nothing to do with this topic, why bring it up? Or are you simply supplying me with more examples of you adding ZERO to the conversation?

Having now gone back and read your posting history for the past few weeks, it's safe to say you add less then zero to any thread you post in.