Biden hints at Obama executive order (concerning guns)

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
What the fuck are you talking about?

Have you not listened to this president and what he wants? He want mag bans, semi-auto bans, assault weapon bans, etc. We have PLENTY of information about his goals.

He also wanted universal health care coverage... that didn't work out so well.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
He also wanted universal health care coverage... that didn't work out so well.
And would have pushed it through with an EO if it was possible...it wasn't then but it is possible this time so no valid comparison

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
What the fuck are you talking about?

Have you not listened to this president and what he wants? He want mag bans, semi-auto bans, assault weapon bans, etc. We have PLENTY of information about his goals.

The president wants a lot of things, whether it happens or not is left to be determined. It's called checks and balance, and all this speculation about "executive orders" and shit is that, purely speculation.

Hell, I want you to make a post that is sensible, mature, and not full of vitriolic rage post for once, but that's not going to happen is it?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Sure, as soon as they institute one for voting.

I think this would hurt the Repubs a whole lot more than the Dems. ;)

Without too much else to go on, IMO Biden's mentioning of using the executive order is more of posturing, of pushing and of appearance.

The mere mention of using the EO does quite a few things in the administration's favor. For one, it gives the administration some leg to stand on and a stronger leg to threaten some kick-ass if it senses inaction on this issue. It also gives the administration some idea of public sentiment (notice the dwell time it's been hanging in the air), from which to better position itself for the fight. It also shows to the public that the administration is serious about this and is daring to take things to a higher level, giving Obama some added sheen.

This posturing also keeps the subject up front and in clear view of the voting public so as to not fade off into never-never land like the NRA has always depended on in the past. This thread is a perfect example of this. The more this issue is hyped by those who feel threatened by it, the more it stays up front in full public view and discourse.

This threat also puts the Repubs on the defensive, making them take what possibly might be unpopular positions by forcing them to make clear what their positon is in this matter.

The administration knows this is the best time to take action on the matter of preventing future massacres via measures including reviving bans, and the Repubs know it's best to delay as much as possible. Therein lies the rub.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
The president wants a lot of things, whether it happens or not is left to be determined. It's called checks and balance, and all this speculation about "executive orders" and shit is that, purely speculation.
Actually it's not speculation it's the word of the VP...unless you want to just say he's a moron and doesn't have a clue and isn't fit for office etc...

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nope. Feel free to point it out though.

EOs are most certainly not by definition bypassing other branches. This is just factually wrong. They are directives to the executive branch, and are generally made in order to tell the executive how to implement acts of congress which are typically vague. So contrary to your idea that EOs must bypass congress they are usually made to implement the will of congress.

The president has stated that he believes DOMA to be unconstitutional. If Congress wished it could take him to court over it and if it won, he would be forced to defend it.

Ceasing to deport specific classes of people is called prioritized enforcement and is practiced by basically every jurisdiction ever. Similarly, cities don't have a dedicated jaywalking patrol even though it's every bit as illegal as murder. If Congress wished, it could pass legislation that would make Obama deport those people.

Right here.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
OK let me be more specific, they are hinting at abusing the EO to circumvent congress as is done by most presidents in recent times...that is their intent and what he hinted at. ...
This is exactly the kind of ignorant paranoia I've been talking about. Biden hinted no such thing. That's just the way the nutter propaganda machine twisted it to get their puppets fired up. You are a perfect example of someone who eagerly swallowed their spin instead of using your critical thinking skills.

All Biden said was the administration is committed to act, using some combination of executive orders and legislation. Any purported hints about circumventing Congress were pulled straight out of the asses of the usual hate-filled fringe who compulsively attack everything this admin says and does, no matter how benign.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is exactly the kind of ignorant paranoia I've been talking about. Biden hinted no such thing. That's just the way the nutter propaganda machine twisted it to get their puppets fired up. You are a perfect example of someone who eagerly swallowed their spin instead of using your critical thinking skills.

All Biden said was the administration is committed to act, using some combination of executive orders and legislation. Any purported hints about circumventing Congress were pulled straight out of the asses of the usual hate-filled fringe who compulsively attack everything this admin says and does, no matter how benign.

Please give me an example of a gun control executive order that to you wouldn't be bypassing congress.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Hell, I want you to make a post that is sensible, mature, and not full of vitriolic rage post for once, but that's not going to happen is it?

It's purely speculation when the damn VP and the president SAY they will use it to achieve their goals?

What reality are you living in? ARe you not listening to what this administration is saying?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

The checker players don't understand the game of Chess that Obama's playing. It's called a trial balloon and it's not for the gun freaks, it's fodder for the progressive/anti-gun crowd that he needs to placate. I really don't think anything more than making univeral ID checks manditory for all sales is going to directly "touch" 2nd ammendment issues.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006

You bolded the wrong part;)

EO's have been increasingly used to circumvent the other branches, that they are "committed" to act with the implied threat of an EO is exactly what he intended to mean. It's a threat that if they don't get what they want through legislation they will do it on their own.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no idea how any of that is hypocritical.

Obama's stance on DOMA isn't refining vagueness, it's intentionally not enforcing a valid law.

Constitutionality is not his domain. Review isn't his domain.

Failing to deport illegal aliens based on age isn't refining vagueness, it's intentionally the not enforcing a valid law.
Prioritization doesn't even make sense. They released people who were in custody pending deportation. There's no savings in effort there.

If you cannot see that he has bypassed Congress and or the court with these two EOs then you are blind and there is no point in debating with you. These EOs are clearly contrary to US Code.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Obama's stance on DOMA isn't refining vagueness, it's intentionally not enforcing a valid law.

Constitutionality is not his domain. Review isn't his domain.

Failing to deport illegal aliens based on age isn't refining vagueness, it's intentionally the not enforcing a valid law.
Prioritization doesn't even make sense. They released people who were in custody pending deportation. There's no savings in effort there.

If you cannot see that he has bypassed Congress and or the court with these two EOs then you are blind and there is no point in debating with you. These EOs are clearly contrary to US Code.
That's not even going into the fact that he knows he has a majority in the House and there's no way a bill could get passed to oppose his EO's...with a stalemate in Congress an EO has pretty much no chance of being overturned

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It's purely speculation when the damn VP and the president SAY they will use it to achieve their goals?

What reality are you living in? ARe you not listening to what this administration is saying?

And the entire forum laughed out loud at the hypocrisy.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
"We're here today to deal with a problem that requires immediate action, urgent action," Biden said at a meeting with gun safety advocacy groups and victims of gun violence, according to a pool report released from the meeting.
"The President is going to act," Biden said. He added that the White House has determined "executive action can be taken," but he did not specify what action that could be.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-...den-nra-executive-action-2013-1#ixzz2Hgh1kkLM

"Executive action" does not equate to an "Executive Order". You paranoid dumbasses just like to think there's a boogeyman out to get you. First, it's OMURGAWD, OBAMA REPEALING SECOND AMENDMENT! Now it's OMURGAWD, HE'S GOING TO TAKE EXECUTIVE ORDERS ON I DON'T KNOW WHAT!

I'm personally against any sort of gun ban and I hope it doesn't come to that, but you idiots make me giggle at the paranoia.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
"We're here today to deal with a problem that requires immediate action, urgent action," Biden said at a meeting with gun safety advocacy groups and victims of gun violence, according to a pool report released from the meeting.
"The President is going to act," Biden said. He added that the White House has determined "executive action can be taken," but he did not specify what action that could be.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-...den-nra-executive-action-2013-1#ixzz2Hgh1kkLM

"Executive action" does not equate to an "Executive Order". You paranoid dumbasses just like to think there's a boogeyman out to get you. First, it's OMURGAWD, OBAMA REPEALING SECOND AMENDMENT! Now it's OMURGAWD, HE'S GOING TO TAKE EXECUTIVE ORDERS ON I DON'T KNOW WHAT!

I'm personally against any sort of gun ban and I hope it doesn't come to that, but you idiots make me giggle at the paranoia.

So you pick a bad paraphrase from an article that leaves out his exact words? Here, let's get a full quote why don't we...

"The president is going to act," said Biden, giving some comments to the press before a meeting with victims of gun violence. "There are executives orders, there's executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet. But we're compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action that we believe is required."

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Imagine that. Your liberal news source left out part of the quote and you fell for it.

"There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet," Biden said, adding that Obama is conferring with Attorney General Eric Holder on potential action."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/09/us-usa-guns-biden-idUSBRE9080UA20130109

Who's the dumbass now, dumbass?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Please give me an example of a gun control executive order that to you wouldn't be bypassing congress.
Case in point. Biden's task force is focused on gun VIOLENCE. You insist that must mean gun CONTROL, even though the administration has expressly stated they're considering mental health and America's culture of violence. You are so blinded by your own rage that you can't see how incapable you are of looking at things objectively.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Case in point. Biden's task force is focused on gun VIOLENCE. You insist that must mean gun CONTROL, even though the administration has expressly stated they're considering mental health and America's culture of violence. You are so blinded by your own rage that you can't see how incapable you are of looking at things objectively.
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it...when they talk about curbing gun violence it has ALWAYS meant gun control.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So then will you go on record that if President Obama issues an Executive Order affecting any manner of gun control that you will condemn it as an abuse of power?

Put your money where your mouth is.