Biden claims Romney will increase Social Security taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...f6a669e-0cbf-11e2-bb5e-492c0d30bff6_blog.html

What hope of fiscal sanity is there when the Dems aren't serious about increasing anyone's taxes either? The GOP whines about gov't spending but cuts nothing, and the Dems complain about tax cuts for the rich but lambaste anyone who actually proposes raising taxes (and that's assuming Biden is actually accurate in his accusation, which is dubious at best).

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
A Republican raise taxes :rolleyes:

What is next is Romney going to claim the Democrats will undo Roe v. Wade? :D

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
A Republican raise taxes :rolleyes:

What is next is Romney going to claim the Democrats will undo Roe v. Wade? :D

The truth of the charge isn't really the important part - it's the mere fact that the Dems, just like the Repubs, will stoop to political pandering on the tax issue and invoke the "higher taxes" bogeyman. How can anyone claim the Dems are serious about fiscal issues here? [And no one should assume I'm saying the GOP is any more serious than the Dems - they're clearly not either.]

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Romney won't talk about his plans and we're just going to have to find out after they become law.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Romney won't talk about his plans and we're just going to have to find out after they become law.

First, practically every politician lies while campaigning. They make all sorts of promises to get your vote, and then, if they win, either never mention those promises again, or claim circumstances have changed and they just can't enact them. Obama and Romney are both just flat-out liars on the campaign trail, but I can only partially blame them, because most Americans really don't want the truth, and don't really care about the country as a whole - they only want to protect their own piece of the pie.

Second, the law-making process isn't that secret. Even if Romney wins (unlikely), he can't just pass an all-new tax code in secret, without any public notice or comment until it's law.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Second, the law-making process isn't that secret. Even if Romney wins (unlikely), he can't just pass an all-new tax code in secret, without any public notice or comment until it's law.

I was mocking a Republican talking regarding Obamacare.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I assume Biden is talking about the SS tax cut that is set to expire at the end of this year. However, I agree. Politicians on both sides are petty and will scare voters if that's what it takes to get elected.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Republicans are all for tax increases, as long as they disproportionately affect the middle class and poor.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Oh, this is awesome, just awesome. Did Biden go on to explain how Obamacare raises Medicare Taxes in 2013? I bet he didn't.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I assume Biden is talking about the SS tax cut that is set to expire at the end of this year. However, I agree. Politicians on both sides are petty and will scare voters if that's what it takes to get elected.

Actually, I think Biden was talking more about Romney's alleged plan to tax SS benefits more. Except there really isn't any such plan. Regardless, it's not a bad idea for certain seniors in higher income brackets. Some of them are doing quite well, and shouldn't get a tax deduction just for being old.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Oh, this is awesome, just awesome. Did Biden go on to explain how Obamacare raises Medicare Taxes in 2013? I bet he didn't.

Probably because it won't raise taxes on the Federal level. However, I know that Tennessee will have an additional $300,000,000 state tax burden yearly to pay for new Medicare mandates. I gather all the other states will feel the same pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.