Biden admin plans for 30GW of offshore wind online by 2030

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005

After being bottled up by Trump lackeys for so long glad to see projects moving through the approval pipeline. On the plus side the delay has let newer even larger turbines come into use so less construction is needed for the same output. Hopefully this goal is substantially exceeded ahead of schedule.
Good god, think of how much marine life will get cancer now!

Feb 16, 2005
Shit's on fire yo:
HPVbo78.gif
They need to reduce this in size by about 1/2, take it music festivals mix up the colors of the smoke emanating from it, and trip out some people

Reactions: Meghan54

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Sounds good to me.

So long as the blades are painted to help birds avoid them, yeah that just leaves the wind cancer threat I guess. Just saw Scotland's renewable portfolio accounted for 97% of demand. Epic. That's the direction we need to go, touts suite.

Im pretty sure domesticated cats and glass windows both far and away kill more birds than wind turbines. Wind Turbines are relatively statistically insignificant compared to those two causes of death.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

a pipeline does not ruin a shit ton of land. a small stripe through the middle of farm fields and gets replanted.

the oil would be going to refineries for refining mostly, the US is a huge exporter of refined products to a lot of places. some of our imported crude gets exported as refined products.

anyhow....

offshore wind jobs are the same as you describe for the pipeline. lots of jobs for construction, not that many for maintenance.

the sphere thing is interesting, but it seems problematic to be adding and removing buoyancy to the system, this would seriously stress cycle however they are holding it to the ocean floor. and i would imagine a maintenance nightmare in salt water with continually cycling between air and salt water.

uh, leaking pipelines (as they all are), do not just ruin "a tiny strip of land" beneath them. That stuff spreads quickly and widely and wrecks local water tables.

Reactions: kage69 and feralkid

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
pfft to his Golf courses, I want to know now many of these can be crammed in the water outside of mar a lago, and how quickly can we do it?
Lol that would be sweet revenge if Biden gets the rights to that land.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Lol that would be sweet revenge if Biden gets the rights to that land.

AFAIK you cannot own ocean. Beach front property line is usually mean high water line.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Im pretty sure domesticated cats and glass windows both far and away kill more birds than wind turbines.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter. Wind turbines have been shown not just killing a lot of birds (many like eagles that don't have issues with glass windows or cats) but they kill a lot of bats too. I don't consider it a zero sum issue, why don't we try to minimize unnecessary wildlife death wherever it's shown to the result of human development? Painting something isn't really a big deal, like putting a bell on your outdoor cat so it doesn't wipe out chipmunks and birds. Take steps where needed, why would this be a difficult concept?

Wind Turbines are relatively statistically insignificant compared to those two causes of death.

Time and scale called, send their best. How long have widespread wind turbines projects been operating? How numerous are they? And you're comparing that to natural animal predation that's been ongoing for centuries? Sure, ok.

Btw, bird friendly building requirements for high rises and pet owners being forced to keep cats inside or equipped with bells have both been a thing for awhile now.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'd like to see more research into development of viable energy from waves and tides. It could have more widespread use and better reliability.

Reactions: zinfamous

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd like to see more research into development of viable energy from waves and tides. It could have more widespread use and better reliability.

Same. The wave generation method is particularly interesting to me. Underwater turbines produce more though. Scotland at the front there too, pretty expensive to set up but it works and costs will drop. 4 underwater turbines in a deep channel off an uninhabited Scottish island powered nearly 4000 homes in 2019. Just sold a bunch to Japan, which is pretty noteworthy.

Fingers crossed these methods aren't horrible for marine life.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

After being bottled up by Trump lackeys for so long glad to see projects moving through the approval pipeline. On the plus side the delay has let newer even larger turbines come into use so less construction is needed for the same output. Hopefully this goal is substantially exceeded ahead of schedule.
You just wait till one of those things spills cancer all over your beaches. /s

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
pfft to his Golf courses, I want to know now many of these can be crammed in the water outside of mar a lago, and how quickly can we do it?

Idk man, for it to be a viable project the dipshit would have to remain in Mar a Lago permanently, talking constantly while only facing east. Pretty much the only way to move that much (hot) air constantly in that area. Sounds iffy.

Besides, he may have other... obligations, in the near future. Less time outdoors I'm thinkin.

• Love
Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Idk man, for it to be a viable project the dipshit would have to remain in Mar a Lago permanently, talking constantly while only facing east. Pretty much the only way to move that much (hot) air constantly in that area. Sounds iffy.

Besides, he may have other... obligations, in the near future. Less time outdoors I'm thinkin.

well, I like the idea of turning a tiny portion of the facility at Mar a Lago into a permanent prison for Trumpy, and converting the rest of the property into a refugee and immigrant processing facility/halfway house/acclimation and education center.

It limits the movements of Trumpy, and he has a choice between staring at offshore windmills or immigrants, moving about freely outside of his cage.

Reactions: kage69