Bid to indict Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell delayed *Update- Indicted!*

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...ent-of-justice-indictment-delayed-101315.html

U.S. Attorney Dana Boente told lawyers for the governor and first lady Maureen McDonnell a week ago that he planned to ask a grand jury to return an indictment by this past Monday.

The plan to seek the felony charges this week changed, however, after attorneys for the state’s first couple met with Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole on Dec. 12.

The McDonnell lawyers reportedly argued that prosecutors should avoid interfering with the transfer of power to governor elect Terry McAuliffe, which happens on Jan 11.

WTF?!
how does INDICTING a sitting governor that's about to leave office in a month interfere w/the governor-elect from taking over?!

I can understand if the sitting governor is REMOVED from office. but indicting the scumbag does nothing to the xfer of power.

WTF?!?!?!

<------------ lives in VA

edit:
INDICTED! 14 counts :D

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...mcdonnell-faces-charges-over-gifts/?hpt=hp_t1

Update 1/6/15:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/06/politics/bob-mcdonnell-sentencing/index.html

recommendation was for 10-12yrs in jail for the 11count conviction for public corruption.

Judge only gives him 2yrs?! :mad:
WTF!??!

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I see no harm in delay. I'm sure that federal prosecutors & agents would get wood serving the papers to a sitting governor, but it's not necessary for them to indulge themselves, either.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
tax dollars shouldnt be wasted sending him to jail when he could just pay the victims double what he allegedly stole.

his revenue hikes have been more atrocious than what he could actually go to jail for, but he is not the only one following his party's platform of increasing the tax base.

Vasp

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Lots of tax dollars have already been wasted in hiring private attorneys to handle the case so far. millions so far.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If you can honestly bring a 14 count indictment, any additional costs for the last month would certainly be a worthwhile investment. People who might otherwise cut immoral deals with him in his last month may be discouraged.

Feb 10, 2000
Wow - $140K? It sounds similar to, if perhaps not as egregious as, the Jesse Jackson Jr. case. Politicians can be such dopes . . .

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wow - $140K? It sounds similar to, if perhaps not as egregious as, the Jesse Jackson Jr. case. Politicians can be such dopes . . .

From what I have read the wife liked the finer things in life but could not afford them and they had their daughters wedding they wanted bigger than they could afford etc...

Very slimy buying and selling stock at the right time to avoid annual reporting requirements not only shows how bad they were but also intent and full knowledge of what they were doing.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hm... you would think this guy would wait until he had more terms under his belt so he would be a bit more untouchable. Pretty cocky.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Hm... you would think this guy would wait until he had more terms under his belt so he would be a bit more untouchable. Pretty cocky.

Governors in VA are limited to 1 term. Its supposed to stop stuff like this. I guess it means you have to sell out on day 1 if you want to make anything. :whiste:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Governors in VA are limited to 1 term. Its supposed to stop stuff like this. I guess it means you have to sell out on day 1 if you want to make anything.
they are constitutionally limited to 1 consecutive term.

anyway, i feel sorry for the poor guy that he has to go jail and what could happen to him there.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah man, some of us have been up on this news for over a year.
MSNBC Rachael Maddow caught notice of this scandal in the making from day one.
Just as did Maddow with questioning the Jersey bridge closings to "get revenge" at a mayor looooooong before the main stream media took notice, or dared ask questions.

Hell.... I even remember old AL Franken when he was on radio, talking about Dick Cheney outing CIA agent Valerie Plame years before the main stream media ever took notice.

It might be wise to pull ones head out of the Faux News crapola and their attempts with making up scandal, which always goes nowhere because it is all Faux news bull, and tune in on Maddow or those other progressive talk shows.
Save the embarrassment of being caught off guard.

Yeah, sure MSNBC and progressive talk might also have their own one sided agenda, but when it comes to breaking a scandal in the making, Maddow and MSNBC is the place to be.
Especially with most of these corrupted nut cases that get busted by the law are nearly always powerful moral right wing religious puritan-ish republicans, and naturally Faux News refuses to address that issue.

I remember Maddow on her show noticed how "weird" it was that McDonnell's daughters lavish wedding was paid for by another person. And then the governor hosting business related gatherings for that very same business owner that wrote the check.
Not to mention the shopping sprees by the governors wife at high class expensive New York Maddison Avenue stores, all on this same business owners tab.
You never hear this stuff on Faux News, now do you?

So its very humorous when these scandals finally hit the main streams media shit fan, and people look amazed.
I was amazed over a year ago.
Thanks America for finally catching up.

And in the mean time Faux News worshipers, enjoy your Fauxed pre-fabricated dose of Benghazi all while the real world goes spinning by. :D :D :D lol

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/06/politics/bob-mcdonnell-sentencing/index.html

recommendation was for 10-12yrs in jail for the 11count conviction.

he only gets 2yrs?! :mad:
WTF!??!

what happened to long jail time as a deterent for future political corruption?!
It's a miracle he got any jail time at all - just shows how very blatant it was. Basically he admitted to taking the bribes, he just denied doing anything in return. So he got a short sentence for improperly accepting gifts rather than a long sentence for selling his influence.

This guy was reputedly on the list for Romney's running mate too.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Damon Knight's "To serve man" when McDonnell made his speech about devoting his remaining time to serving others? :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If I ever get in trouble. Im going to argue they should wait until i transfer power at my current position to whoever takes it over sometime in the future.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yeah, sure MSNBC and progressive talk might also have their own one sided agenda, but when it comes to breaking a scandal in the making, Maddow and MSNBC is the place to be.
Especially with most of these corrupted nut cases that get busted by the law are nearly always powerful moral right wing religious puritan-ish republicans, and naturally Faux News refuses to address that issue.

I mean sure, MSNBC was found to only be lying to you half the time where fox is more like 60%. That's called picking up a turd by the clean end.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...hecking-fox-msnbc-and-cnn-punditfacts-networ/

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I fact checked your fact check, and got 45% for MSNBC, and 58% for fox. You should have fact checked before you fact check, but its ok, because I fact checked your fact checking.

I was rounding off, but ok, as long as the facts were checked.