Bicycle Help Needed

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I rode a bicycle all through college and I loved it. It was a Schwinn High Plains circa 1997. It was light and felt great. It was stolen a year after I graduated. :(

Last year I purchased another bicycle and to be honest I hate it. It's this one, and it sucks. It's heavy and feels like crap. Needless to say I don't use it at all.

Anyway... I want another bike. Am I fooling myself to think I'll ride it or does the bicycle type really make that big a difference?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Get a cooler bike, it'll motivate you to ride since you spent al lthat money on it :)

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr Nate
Well, do you want a road bike or a mountain bike?

Hybrid. Something to commute with.

Originally posted by: notfred
Get a cooler bike, it'll motivate you to ride since you spent al lthat money on it :)

That Trek bike blows, I have no idea why I purchased it. I'm usually good with that sorta thing. :eek:

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
yeah, a bike that creaks and squeaks and goes out of adjustment wont be fun to ride

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Wow I wouldn't want that bike even if it's free. It looks heavy and cheap and it IS! Steel everything, low end drivetrain, cheap brakes and tires, and no suspension. This is not much better than what you get from walmart.

Depending on budget, at least start with a light weight aluminum frame. Generally the lighter the components the more expensive they are. I spent $150 on one titanium-spoke wheel alone. what's your budget? Also if you makes enough money then you can spend it on something you don't really use, otherwise reconsider if you really need it. I use my bike alot during school, but it's been collecting dust after i grad and start working.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I really expected to see a Huffy or something close to it when I clicked that link.

What don't you like about that bike? Maybe if we knew that, we could recommend a bike you WOULD like.

Mr Nate

May 28, 2005
I don't know, I purchased a trek1500 and i love the thing. And I've heard good things about the trek hybrids.

Try cannondale.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
I really expected to see a Huffy or something close to it when I clicked that link.

What don't you like about that bike? Maybe if we knew that, we could recommend a bike you WOULD like.

LOL, it is a Huffy! It's heavy, the seating position is horrid. LS20 pretty much said it perfectly.

I'm looking at this one = Marin Novato What do you guys think?

Jan 18, 2001
I love my hybrid, mostly for commuting. Very fast, and pretty light (steel frame for a smoother ride is a bit heavier than an aluminum counterpart)

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/homebrewerdude/LeMond.jpg

It's is a LeMond Wayzata, hybrid that is more roadie than ATB

I know there are other similar bikes. Specialized has several that range from 700 - 1800 or something like that, though I would expect you could get last years model for much less.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
It would go better on road if it had smaller tires (1.80 instead of 1.95) and road tires instead of track tires. However, if you want easy riding at high speed, get a road bike (28 inches wheels, thin tires, transmission for high speed cruising and not for roof climbing

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Take a look at the Diamondback Comfort Series, not too pricey. I just bought a Diamondback Wildwood 2005 for about $269 to chase my kids around and I'm pretty happy with it.

Diamondback Wildwood 2005

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I have this bike. I put hybrid tires, BMX style pedals (Azonic A-frames), a WTB saddle, and new grips. I couldn't be happier with the weight and performance I get from it. Careful though, once you get a nice bike and start upgrading, you spend way too much money. :D I am now looking into getting a set of hydraulic disc brakes.