BHPhotovideo legit?

thonnie

Sep 8, 2009
Has anyone used this site? Is it reliable and legit? I'm just looking to see if if would be a good place to even pick up my camera from.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Offhand, I can't think of one that is more legit.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Unless you're going to buy it this very second, see if you can get it from Amazon for the same price.

B&H (and several other NYC-based camera stores) observe all the Hasidic Jewish holidays. For example, they are just about to close down their store from October 1st through October 12th. If you place an order tomorrow, your order will be delayed for 12 days because of their religion.

99% of the time, Amazon or another major e-tailer will have the same camera for the same price as B&H, without having to deal with religious closures.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Another vote for B&H. I've spent countless hours and thousands of dollars there. Great company.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
i've made several purchases through b&H as well as adorama
both are great, and both have fatwallet cash back (last i checked)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
BHPhotoVideo = Newegg of the photography world :thumbsup:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: xchangx
Check out adorama.com as well.

I just ordered a Canon HF200 from Adorama 2 days ago.

They have 11% cashback thru Bing right now.

bing.com/cashback/go?c=382233&mu=adorama.com&mscbg=1

Excellent company btw. So is B&H but they don't have the cashback.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
has anyone stepped inside b&h? it's frackin ridiculous, haha. Love that they have nearly every camera to hand hold... aka Panasonic GH1, Oly E-P1, Pentax K7... finally got to try them all out (G1 was at microcenter, but off). It was hard not to walk out with the K7, haha

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
BH is very good, my first choice, never had a problem. As a poster above mentioned, they observe holidays that even other Jews have never heard of.

Adorama is also very good but they started sending me spam email even before they shipped my order. I found this annoying.

Amazon is good except for Super Saver Shipping which is handled by a special just-about-to-go-to-rehab-because-I-smoke-a-lot-of-pot shipping department. Regular shipping is fine.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaido
I find that offensive. ;) BH is THE model of online going well. Newegg is good, BH is best. You can even call B & H before the purchase and ask questions. Then you can do a phone order if you want.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
B&H charged my card even though they are closed for one of their holidays.

Seems a little shady too me, or at least a bad practice.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
That's why I've nearly stopped buying from them. It's the 21st century. Online e-stores aren't Jewish. The computers taking your online order aren't Jewish. And I will bet that most (if not all) of their warehouse workers aren't Jewish.

The only instance where I buy from B&H these days is on rare photographic items not available from other stores (like a factory lens hood or quick-release plate).

Most big purchases go to places that have better deals. Abe's Of Maine. Amazon. Adorama. Even Ritz has the occasional hot deal.

Feb 19, 2001
I like Adorama at the moment only because of teh 11% CB. BHPhotoVideo seems to have an insanely nice selection though, but most things I've been able to get at JR or Adorama

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: gsellis
Originally posted by: Kaido
I find that offensive. ;) BH is THE model of online going well. Newegg is good, BH is best. You can even call B & H before the purchase and ask questions. Then you can do a phone order if you want.

Real geeks don't need phone support ;) :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
B&H charged my card even though they are closed for one of their holidays.

Seems a little shady too me, or at least a bad practice.

Adorama had my payment pending since like last week because of their holiday hours. Finally went through today & got a tracking #. I wanted my new toy last week :(