BH Photo & Video

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
it seems like every single time i've wanted to order something from B&H it was a saturday or hanukkah or something

kinda like how every single time i want to eat at a chick-fil-a it's a sunday

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I hate this store with a passion. I will never give this place my business in-store or online.

• Wow
Reactions: Lezunto

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I hate this store with a passion. I will never give this place my business in-store or online.

Why specifically? I've purchased from them multiple times over at least 20 years and never once had a single problem.

Reactions: Muse

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Why specifically? I've purchased from them multiple times over at least 20 years and never once had a single problem.
I can't really say because people will call me anti-Semitic. But I am not. Just my experience with the employees throughout the years.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can't really say because people will call me anti-Semitic. But I am not. Just my experience with the employees throughout the years.

Saying that may will have exactly the same effect... can of worms is already open might as well dump em.

Note that I was a courier in NYC for about 10 years (not bicycle god-forbid!) and worked with many of the primarily Jewish-owned electronics stores in the West 30's/40's frequently.

Some of the people working there were very nice and some were rude pains in the rear .... this is not surprising since they're just people like everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54 and Muadib

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

giphy.gif

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Clear psychic disconnect in that post.

I had a fine experience when I went in their Manhattan store (which was super impressive) and done fine IIRC ordering online. Plus word is you can trust they won't sell you fakes, which you can only say for a few sources. Also their pricing is generally competitive.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Clear psychic disconnect in that post.

I had a fine experience when I went in their Manhattan store (which was super impressive) and done fine IIRC ordering online. Plus word is you can trust they won't sell you fakes, which you can only say for a few sources. Also their pricing is generally competitive.
I haven't been there in years. I found much better service at J and R but they shut down years ago. Man, I miss that place.

47th ST photo was another place I hated as well. They DID sell you fake crap all the time.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
it seems like every single time i've wanted to order something from B&H it was a saturday or hanukkah or something

kinda like how every single time i want to eat at a chick-fil-a it's a sunday

Clearly you are the problem. I have window shopped in B&H's NYC store and I was just visiting NYC...

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I haven't been there in years. I found much better service at J and R but they shut down years ago. Man, I miss that place.

47th ST photo was another place I hated as well. They DID sell you fake crap all the time.

I never had a problem with the folks at 47th Street Photo either, in fact they were one of the more courteous and helpful places I delivered PC/electronics to, never hesitating to send guys outside to guard my truck. (essential back in 1980's NYC)

J&R was great though.... too "great" in some ways because they priced themselves right out of business just like Crazy-Eddie!

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I never had a problem with the folks at 47th Street Photo either, in fact they were one of the more courteous and helpful places I delivered PC/electronics to, never hesitating to send guys outside to guard my truck. (essential back in 1980's NYC)

J&R was great though.... too "great" in some ways because they priced themselves right out of business just like Crazy-Eddie!

Crazy eddies was the worse one of all! I remember buying some Atari 800 games on tape that didn't work and it took them 6 months to finally refund my $$$!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've had good experiences at b&h, in person and online. I have to do a return once of an expensive lens and it was easy. I used to shop there a lot more before they opened a warehouse in New Jersey, and then I'd have to pay tax. I like getting things in one day, but it was better when it shipped from New York with no tax, and it still got here in one day.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
b and h rocks! Never had an issue that they didn't take care of. I haven't gone to the store since before Covid, however if I order early enough shipping is in one day.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
looking back, i did get a MIDI keyboard and pedal from them a few years ago. never had any problems with that.

Jun 18, 2022
B&H is one of the best online retailers. I've never had the opportunity to visit their NYC store, but I'd like to.

They went above and beyond for me one time. I was buying some equipment for a last minute work trip to Asia and I needed the serial numbers for the equipment in order to get an international import/export document and insurance (Carnet).

They overnighted the gear for me and went as far as providing the serial number and other information that I needed to submit to the TSA and Homeland Security. So it allowed me to submit the information before I received the equipment! This was huge, because if I had to wait a day or two to complete my submission, I wouldn't have been able to get my gear and trip would have been cancelled or moved. That would have been very expensive for my company.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020

Except for a couple of cameras, most of my photography equipment came from B&H Photo. Now, this was in the late 80's and '90's. I usually went to the store personally, asked for what I wanted and simply picked it up.

Never had a problem. I have no idea what the store or its personnel are like now. But I'm sure they got even more whiz bang stuff.