BF4 announced...let the lag begin

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
And you sound like a pilot.

This. BF3 just made the air game worse in some ways. Jets are nerfed badly with the loss of bombs but choppers remain rape assets. It would be much better to have had wire guided AT rockets, at least that's a skill solution, than stingers to play the unlimited flares and ECM rat race game. Especially with the low lock range that makes them neutered. And CROWS doesn't do much to them and certainly the mounted .50s on open air jeeps is nearly worthless.

Worst of all is the 3D spotting which helps aircraft out immensely.

And then if you do wound aircraft we've got vehicle health regen to contend with. I believe BF4 will continue the poor design.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
This. BF3 just made the air game worse in some ways. Jets are nerfed badly with the loss of bombs but choppers remain rape assets. It would be much better to have had wire guided AT rockets, at least that's a skill solution, than stingers to play the unlimited flares and ECM rat race game. Especially with the low lock range that makes them neutered. And CROWS doesn't do much to them and certainly the mounted .50s on open air jeeps is nearly worthless.

Worst of all is the 3D spotting which helps aircraft out immensely.

And then if you do wound aircraft we've got vehicle health regen to contend with. I believe BF4 will continue the poor design.

You pussies just want to be able to shoot down air with them giving you any resistance. If you actually know how to play the game properly, air does not and should not even pose a problem. Yes, it may be tricky to take down a helicopter by yourself or you're with a team full of dipshits, but all it takes are a squad of players knowing what the fuck they're doing to cripple any air.

If you are crying about below radar, you definitely suck, because if a helicopter flies low enough, you or your teammates can easily shoot the hell out of the pilot. A pilot goes down fast when he is being shot at from 5 different directions.

The last patch actually did a pretty decent job at balancing out the rock/paper/scissor mechanics of the game.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Sure for a few weeks till I get tired of the random exploit/cheat being used.

Feature list that would pull me in:
-Opponents as human shield
-Opponents as hostages
-Opponents who can become spies
-EMP weapons
-Hidden BFG weapon Easter egg hunt

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Yea, who the hell wants new content on one of the best game engines to date? Screw that, I want the same redundant maps with no chance of updates or I'm not paying.

Does attacking in sarcastic comments but not actually responding to the point made ever actually win you any arguments?

I was peeved that they announced BF4 already when 3 out of 5 of the planned expansion packs for the current iteration of their franchise hasn't been released yet.

All that means to me is that instead of focusing all of their efforts on improving the game that they released not 9 months ago, they have divided their attention onto 3 expansion packs and 1 full game. No thanks.

Or to put it in your style:

Who the hell wants one well thought out, fun to play, balanced and polished game when you can pay more for less engaging content spread out across multiple releases.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
You pussies just want to be able to shoot down air with them giving you any resistance. If you actually know how to play the game properly, air does not and should not even pose a problem. Yes, it may be tricky to take down a helicopter by yourself or you're with a team full of dipshits, but all it takes are a squad of players knowing what the fuck they're doing to cripple any air.

If you are crying about below radar, you definitely suck, because if a helicopter flies low enough, you or your teammates can easily shoot the hell out of the pilot. A pilot goes down fast when he is being shot at from 5 different directions.

The last patch actually did a pretty decent job at balancing out the rock/paper/scissor mechanics of the game.

I have to agree with this, especially when it comes to using the AA tank. While the HSMs may serve as more of a distraction/deterrent than anything else, the machine guns/minigun are extremely powerful and easily cut down any aircraft that get within a few hundred meters.

With a low flying chopper you can even use a 50cal to shoot the driver and kill him.

The only real fault in the game is the broken lock-on of the IGLA. Its range has been shortened but it is extremely buggy and often refuses to get a lock-on even with a chopper is less than 50 meters away.

Most of the time air only gets to be effective on a map because the guy using the AA tank is a complete and utter noob. Never seen another decent player use it.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I was peeved that they announced BF4 already when 3 out of 5 of the planned expansion packs for the current iteration of their franchise hasn't been released yet.

All that means to me is that instead of focusing all of their efforts on improving the game that they released not 9 months ago, they have divided their attention onto 3 expansion packs and 1 full game. No thanks.

Or to put it in your style:

Who the hell wants one well thought out, fun to play, balanced and polished game when you can pay more for less engaging content spread out across multiple releases.

This basically.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I have to agree with this, especially when it comes to using the AA tank. While the HSMs may serve as more of a distraction/deterrent than anything else, the machine guns/minigun are extremely powerful and easily cut down any aircraft that get within a few hundred meters.

With a low flying chopper you can even use a 50cal to shoot the driver and kill him.

The only real fault in the game is the broken lock-on of the IGLA. Its range has been shortened but it is extremely buggy and often refuses to get a lock-on even with a chopper is less than 50 meters away.

Most of the time air only gets to be effective on a map because the guy using the AA tank is a complete and utter noob. Never seen another decent player use it.

The mobile AA is the only effective counter. Unfortunately on a well-populated map with a lot of people running around in engineer kit w/light AT weapons it has a survival time of about a minute.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The mobile AA is the only effective counter. Unfortunately on a well-populated map with a lot of people running around in engineer kit w/light AT weapons it has a survival time of about a minute.

there is that and if you happen to not play on the PC it exists on a grand total of 1 conquest map (wake), and the only other map ive seen it on is Canals playing Rush

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

Wow. In all seriousness, you need to go play a different game if you feel like you're being raped by air in BF3. No offense, you sound like a joke of a player.

Here are a few things to note:

-Air survivability decreases in larger 64p servers, as you said, when you have a large number of players running around in engineer kits, it's really hard for air to be effective. I find myself constantly having to "bug out" just to get away from the various lock ons. Flying is much less stressful on smaller servers.

-When I play a map, if it is noticeable that the enemy team's got some good pilots in the air, I gather my squad of friends to work on taking them out or keeping them from doing their job. Trust me, it's not that hard to ruin a pilot's day.

-Soflam
-Stinger missiles --stagger your shots between you and your teammates
-AA
-Your primary weapon if they fly low. This is actually my favorite method of taking out choppers, I actually want them to fly low because if you kill the pilot, you have a good chance of pirating his chopper.

Now go practice and stop crying.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Wow. In all seriousness, you need to go play a different game if you feel like you're being raped by air in BF3. No offense, you sound like a joke of a player.

Here are a few things to note:

-Air survivability decreases in larger 64p servers, as you said, when you have a large number of players running around in engineer kits, it's really hard for air to be effective. I find myself constantly having to "bug out" just to get away from the various lock ons. Flying is much less stressful on smaller servers.

-When I play a map, if it is noticeable that the enemy team's got some good pilots in the air, I gather my squad of friends to work on taking them out or keeping them from doing their job. Trust me, it's not that hard to ruin a pilot's day.

-Soflam
-Stinger missiles --stagger your shots between you and your teammates
-AA
-Your primary weapon if they fly low. This is actually my favorite method of taking out choppers, I actually want them to fly low because if you kill the pilot, you have a good chance of pirating his chopper.

Now go practice and stop crying.

You're right, I am terrible. I'm old and my reflexes are slow, but I still like running around and shooting at crap. However, with 31 other players on my side on this particular clan server, I don't believe I was solely responsible for the pillaging on the part of the attack choppers, or that the top six slots on both teams were flying, or that pretty much everyone was doing everything they could think of to knock this guy out of the air, and yet he managed to rack up a huge number of kills, and a small number of deaths.

I already acknowledged that the player was a very good chopper pilot. I'm prepared for edge-case results from very good players. But I don't think any other player in the game, playing any role other than pilot, with the active targeting attention of nearly the entire opposing team, could have maintained that streak and racked up those numbers. Sure as hell not going to do it on foot, in a jeep, in a tank, in the mobile AA. Maybe sniping.

You're seriously telling me that the defense against a good chopper pilot is shooting at him with a machine gun? I've poured thousands of rounds into choppers from all the available platforms. Yeah, I suck, but how good do I have to be to put the tracers on the cockpit when the guy is circling the base at 50 feet off the ground? I hate choppers in BF. Believe me I shoot at them with every damn thing I can find, and I'd throw rocks if I could pick them up. If he has a decent gunner, you're going to be dead long before you manage to knock that chopper down with a machine gun.

That statement just bolsters my belief that you primarily play as a pilot. That, and the fact that you mentioned stingers, which are utterly ineffective unless you get lucky, and AA, which is almost never available and really easy to take out. I'll give you soflams. They're effective, but very few people seem to play that role, and since Javelins suck so much at every other thing they do, it ain't much comfort.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
You're right, I am terrible. I'm old and my reflexes are slow, but I still like running around and shooting at crap. However, with 31 other players on my side on this particular clan server, I don't believe I was solely responsible for the pillaging on the part of the attack choppers, or that the top six slots on both teams were flying, or that pretty much everyone was doing everything they could think of to knock this guy out of the air, and yet he managed to rack up a huge number of kills, and a small number of deaths.

I already acknowledged that the player was a very good chopper pilot. I'm prepared for edge-case results from very good players. But I don't think any other player in the game, playing any role other than pilot, with the active targeting attention of nearly the entire opposing team, could have maintained that streak and racked up those numbers. Sure as hell not going to do it on foot, in a jeep, in a tank, in the mobile AA. Maybe sniping.

You're seriously telling me that the defense against a good chopper pilot is shooting at him with a machine gun? I've poured thousands of rounds into choppers from all the available platforms. Yeah, I suck, but how good do I have to be to put the tracers on the cockpit when the guy is circling the base at 50 feet off the ground? I hate choppers in BF. Believe me I shoot at them with every damn thing I can find, and I'd throw rocks if I could pick them up. If he has a decent gunner, you're going to be dead long before you manage to knock that chopper down with a machine gun.

That statement just bolsters my belief that you primarily play as a pilot. That, and the fact that you mentioned stingers, which are utterly ineffective unless you get lucky, and AA, which is almost never available and really easy to take out. I'll give you soflams. They're effective, but very few people seem to play that role, and since Javelins suck so much at every other thing they do, it ain't much comfort.

Well my point is that it's not the game is out of balance because you're feeling the heat from chopper pilots. I think the last patch did a better job at balancing everything out. The way the game is designed is that one person cannot be the jack of all trades. Trust me, I'm actually pretty bad at being a pilot, I do alright in helicopters but I'm a complete noob when it comes to jets. Also, playing on servers with instant/quick vehicle respawn do not help either. In my opinion that sort of servers throw the game balance out of whack, but you know what you're getting into when you join those servers. And yes, it is a very viable option if helicopters are flying low to shoot the pilots in their faces--nothing in the game comes easy, but when you're able to snipe a pilot and take his helicopter, it's a pretty fun feeling :)

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Ever since EA bought out Dice for ~60% of their shares, their games have been complete mainstream shit.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
And yes, it is a very viable option if helicopters are flying low to shoot the pilots in their faces--nothing in the game comes easy, but when you're able to snipe a pilot and take his helicopter, it's a pretty fun feeling

I was in the machine gunner's position on a tank tonight, in Wake on the bridge between A and B, and we had a U.S. AH swoop in on us from over the bay. He flew straight towards us and I poured fire from that .50 directly into his damn cockpit for probably three or four seconds. He didn't even bother to alter his flight path. Dumped a bunch of rockets on us, passed overhead, swooped back while I continued firing directly into his chopper, and blew the tank up.

So tell me again how balanced this is? Rock, paper scissors? A chopper should be able to take a tank from out of range of guns, using a missile, which requires a certain amount of knowledge and skill. A chopper should not be able to just hover around a tank with impunity firing away until it blows up, ignoring ground fire because it just doesn't freaking matter. That's not rock, paper, scissors. That's rock, rock, rock, and you get a napkin.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I thought BF3 was nearly perfect balance-wise at its release, all it needed was some bug and glitch fixes. Air power was effectively countered by hand held AA, the tanks and transport choppers werent made of cardboard. The patches/nerfs/buffs really ruined the game of Conquest, IMO.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I really want to see guns that take skill to fire again so it's not so damn easy to kill people. Where movement in a firefight matters.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I was in the machine gunner's position on a tank tonight, in Wake on the bridge between A and B, and we had a U.S. AH swoop in on us from over the bay. He flew straight towards us and I poured fire from that .50 directly into his damn cockpit for probably three or four seconds. He didn't even bother to alter his flight path. Dumped a bunch of rockets on us, passed overhead, swooped back while I continued firing directly into his chopper, and blew the tank up.

So tell me again how balanced this is? Rock, paper scissors? A chopper should be able to take a tank from out of range of guns, using a missile, which requires a certain amount of knowledge and skill. A chopper should not be able to just hover around a tank with impunity firing away until it blows up, ignoring ground fire because it just doesn't freaking matter. That's not rock, paper, scissors. That's rock, rock, rock, and you get a napkin.

LOL you're beyond help.