BF3 video card upgrade...

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
In anticipation to the release of Battlefield 3 Im wondering if my video card will be up to the task. Im thinking about getting another GTX 480 to run in SLI mode, but Im not sure that my power supply will be big enough.

Thanks..

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Rig in sig should be good, I'd go for a modest overclock.

We have a lot of these type threads already :) Some leaked/early/alpha benches showed GTX480 and Nvidia in general to be quite capable at this title, and things almost always get better from alpha builds performance-wise (due to tweaks to both the game itself and the GPU drivers). As BF3 is a monumentally huge title that will have lots of folks upgrading, I'm sure both AMD and Nvidia will work really hard to make sure their parts perform at their best for this one.

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks...I really didnt want to fork over the cash for another card.

I suppose if Im going to overclock I should get something other than the stock cpu cooler?

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
Thanks...I really didnt want to fork over the cash for another card.

I suppose if Im going to overclock I should get something other than the stock cpu cooler?

at the very least, take out the stock thermal paste and apply something better like arctic silver 5. my gpu temps dropped about 10 degrees celsius on load

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
i7-930 should overclock to 3.9-4.1ghz without much trouble on that board. BF3 should scale reasonably well with a fast quad-core CPU. GTX480 can also be overclocked another 10-15%. I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, you can always upgrade after the game is released if you are not happy with the performance. I don't think it's a good idea to buy the aging GTX480 since its price is only going to fall even more (esp. if HD7000 series launch by the time BF3 is out). If anything you can always pick a 2nd one later.

Preliminary benchmarks are showing very good performance for the 480.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
-480 still might be #2 in the nv ref.single gpu cards given the vram.
-but at res. will you be playing at? [say 1080]
-get a good cpu cooler oc to the 3.9-4.1 as RS said ,turn on ht as fb2 engine should use 2-8 threads.
-you should\ will have a bf3 ready system in the top 10% if you do that ,going by[polls] on all the ea bf3 forums, where the new pc players are buying lower spec. systems to max. the ultra at @ 1080. lol --they call us nerds if we have more than a 560ti and 2500k.