BF3 Pro Gaming Video Settings

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
Anyone know what pro bf3 gamers use for their video settings? Heard from my friend that they use no anti aliasing, no vsync, no ambient occlusion, and motion blur off. Wanting to get good results in this game. I've turned off vsync, turned off anti aliasing and motion blur, and fps is from 100-140. There's screan tearing, but the game feels much more smooth (input-wise) with vsync off and I feel like I've been doing better with better aim.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
The only things to watch out for are AO, MSAA and shadows which will slow your card down pretty bad, you'll be fine with post AA and AF. In the end that 140fps config is pointless if you only have a 60hz screen.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I found with my old 7850 at 1200p,i could run all medium with high post aa,no msaa and no motion blur,enable hbao and i found it staying well above 60fps basically on all the maps in my case,a 7950 or a gtx670 should do all high.

On my gtx670,i have all high enabled,hbao enabled and post aa on high as ultra offers me nothing as well as msaa thats worth the huge performance lost.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I don't like BF3, but 'pro' settings are always the same across shooters.

Lowest possible settings for textures, shadows (off if possible), post processing (off if possible), vegetation (off) etc - enemy players are much easier to see when you cut down all graphics to their lowest (ie less clutter to draw your eye). I'd keep Vsync on, because tearing can draw your eye (never heard about turning it off for competition).

Highest possible settings for things like world geometry and view distance. High gamma to brighten dark places.

Music off, ambient sounds at highest - so you can hear footsteps easier.

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
well with max settings I get a stable 57-60 fps sometimes high 40's, but staying at 100-140 fps I've noticed that it feels a LOT more responsive. Is this because vsync is disabled? I've noticed that I get a lot of screen tearing in almost every game if I don't use vsync or windowed mode. currently using a 7950 overclocked to +20%/1025mhz/1250mhz. is me feeling like the mouse is more responsive/fast because it's a placebo?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
640x480 res, every setting on low, old CRT monitor, mechanical keyboard, wired mouse, insulating headphones, piles of mountain dew cans and empty pizza boxes on your desk, crumbs everywhere, halo tshirt, star wars posters on the walls of your parents' basement.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There are no pros in BF3. They don't exist. I'm sure you meant really damn good players who play the game like their lives depended on it. All you need is high FPS and lots of practice. A 120hz monitor is a total and absolute epic bonus IMO.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I don't like BF3, but 'pro' settings are always the same across shooters.

Lowest possible settings for textures, shadows (off if possible), post processing (off if possible), vegetation (off) etc - enemy players are much easier to see when you cut down all graphics to their lowest (ie less clutter to draw your eye). I'd keep Vsync on, because tearing can draw your eye (never heard about turning it off for competition).

Highest possible settings for things like world geometry and view distance. High gamma to brighten dark places.

Music off, ambient sounds at highest - so you can hear footsteps easier.

I have a feeling most pro gamers do not use vsync. Rather, they probably set a cap to framerates, and as you said, set most settings low enough to ensure a constant 60/120fps, if not at the absolute lowest settings.

Some are going to go with the absolute lowest settings, but some will use as much eye candy as the system can afford, up until the point where they cannot maintain an absolute maxed framerate (for their display, be it 60/120fps.... may be 75fps on a 75hz CRT.. some pros do still use them).

But as I said, I imagine vsync is likely out of the picture. Why? Input lag. Vsync will introduce input lag, which is the very thing all their optimizations and hardware choices are specifically meant to combat against.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
There are no pros in BF3. They don't exist. I'm sure you meant really damn good players who play the game like their lives depended on it. All you need is high FPS and lots of practice. A 120hz monitor is a total and absolute epic bonus IMO.

Yeah, I don't imagine there are many Pros. Probably some Pros will play BF3, but just for fun - they aren't honing their BF3 abilities or actually competing... it's not a pro-competition game. As in, you won't see BF3 in the e-sports leagues.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I don't imagine there are many Pros. Probably some Pros will play BF3, but just for fun - they aren't honing their BF3 abilities or actually competing... it's not a pro-competition game. As in, you won't see BF3 in the e-sports leagues.

And thats a damn shame if you ask me. I will hold onto hope for BF4. I would love a competitive aspect to the game. It would really get me amped and crank up the adrenaline. That would be great. Having an audience and the pressure of playing for rank and status would be really intense and fun.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I have a feeling most pro gamers do not use vsync. Rather, they probably set a cap to framerates, and as you said, set most settings low enough to ensure a constant 60/120fps, if not at the absolute lowest settings.

Yup,have been dropping my settings to push 60 fps constant for years.

Right after my first pc build with a el cheapo pentium 4 and a 6200 le that was a lag fest in BF2 back in 2006,i told myself that won't ever be the case again and every build since 2007 has had hardware that can push my games at moderate to high settings at my native resolution at 60+fps.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
640x480 res, every setting on low, old CRT monitor, mechanical keyboard, wired mouse, insulating headphones, piles of mountain dew cans and empty pizza boxes on your desk, crumbs everywhere, halo tshirt, star wars posters on the walls of your parents' basement.

this is the only answer.

Mar 10, 2005
well, even if I can get 60fps on max settings, should I?

an average of 700 fps means jack if you get drops below 30. run the settings that look best to your eyes while keeping that minimum above 30 fps. the barest-minimum settings used by sharks is for the tenth 10th of performance, and if someone had the skill to exploit it they wouldn't be asking the question, would they? :p

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
well, even if I can get 60fps on max settings, should I?

If you're watching a slide show it's only going to make the game harder for you. MSAA/AO may or may not cause more frequent dips below 60fps so at best you can stand to gain from not hitting those dips as frequently.

Last edited:

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
well, i've noticed that reducing from ultra to high makes no graphical difference to me, and it increases my frames by 30... ssao/hbao should be off, for spotting enemies easier, correct?

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
I have no idea what those had anything to do with the topic but I enjoyed them anyway!

Basically as far as settings go I keep Ambient Occlusion off with every other setting set to Low besides Mesh quality which I have set to Ultra for better spotting. This is pretty much the best setup for having as much of an "edge" as possible.

will give that a shot. aniso x1 and aa and post fx off, correct?

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
will give that a shot. aniso x1 and aa and post fx off, correct?

I'd keep aniso at x16 since it's going to help you spot enemies at a further distance. Whether you keep AA on or off is going to depend on how much a fps hit you're going to take if you have it on. If you can keep a solid 60+ fps with AA on then I'd suggest running it. Post Fx isn't going to make a huge difference if it's on or off just decide for yourself if you like it or not.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have no idea what those had anything to do with the topic but I enjoyed them anyway!

Basically as far as settings go I keep Ambient Occlusion off with every other setting set to Low besides Mesh quality which I have set to Ultra for better spotting. This is pretty much the best setup for having as much of an "edge" as possible.

:)