BF3: Confessions of a hacker...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
People take this shit way too seriously. LOL!

Do you pay a monthly fee for BF3? No? Then deal with the hacks. It's a "best-effort" service. You want premium? Pay for it.

Or don't take it so seriously and just go to a different server.

Excuse me? I did pay for it - I bought the game.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
What killed multiplayer gaming for me to a very large extent was all the hackers. Starcraft, Quake derivatives, Source games (DOD source, etc.). If I do play multiplayer these days it's usually something that doesn't attract as many hackers, like L4D2 or something.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Last multi-player FPS I played was Homefront. Had about two good days of playing, then hackers showed up.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
competitive FPS will always result in hackers. Games that go unpatched will always have hackers.

Like how certain companies stops giving a shit about games after they released it, I too have stopped playing FPSes competitively.

Nov 7, 2000
i went through the same revelation on CS. played the shit out of it, considered myself pretty good. got my ass handed to me one too many times via BS, installed a wall hack, realized how many people were cheating and lost interest in the game.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
wow @ his update5

**EDIT 5. So yeah, threats against me, white hats messaging me to have me come help them so they can see the hack try and learn to dev antihacks, some guy with the hack's website asking me to join IRC and making cryptic statements, I'm done. I just wanted to raise awareness about the prevalence of hacks in BF3, and I feel I've done that. I pondered turning the threats over to authorities, but i would rather just drop it all.

To the black hats: I'm not joining IRC. Sorry. I fear retaliation. To the white hats: As much as I want to help, I'm not willing to get myself involved. I have a real life to care about, seems like people are mad. To the people making not so subtle threats: Fuck you. To reddit: Keep doing whatchu doing. See you in game, and i'll probably get my face owned.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
nerd rage at it's finest. How many of these "white hat" hackers are just kids that want to get their hands on the hacks?

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
So happy I quit playing BF3. I played BF2 very competitively......compared to BF2, BF3 is a joke.

QFT.

I've said this before but the BF3 Fanbois crucified me. The battlefield franchise will never again live up to what BF2 was.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
When I first started PC gaming I enjoyed putting in the cheats for Sim City 2000 and the original starcraft. When I started to game in multiplayer I didnt think hacking was possible at first so I didnt bother. Later on, I actually got good at some games and hackers were viewed as the enemy...

A few months ago however I did hack for the first time in Dungeon Defenders... I love the game by the way. I purchased a copy for myself, tried it out, and ended up purchasing the game for 6-7 friends. However, my account of 8 characters who were completing end game content got deleted through some server side error issue...

After 3 weeks of e-mailing the company and getting a response of "just wait, it will be fixed" my friends had lost interest without me and I had had enough...

I went to youtube, watched two videos and used a third-party program to generate 4 max-level characters for myself. This was less than what I had built before, but enough for me to play again.

It was easy and painless. I was a little worried that they would ban my account, but my characters were already gone... There are people in this game that hack gear for characters and sell it for $USD... I don't feel great about what I did, but I don't believe that it gave me an in-game advantage over anyone else.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
cheating in a cooperative game? makes no sense :p

cheating in single player is normally done to finish a part you cant do... or maybe to find some easter eggs... i remember games like Age of mythology had cheats that would spawn units that were not actually in the game :p

cheating is always used in competitives games to be better than others, which makes no sense but well... if you play just with friends then there is no problem...

i used to play ut2k4 competitively and im sure it was full of hackers, but i always played in a community of 50 people, we didnt cheat with each other...

but OPEN competitive multiplayer game was, is and will be full of cheaters thinking they are good

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
I'm just saying you can start kicking/banning people for going 20-0

Which is why I miss dedicated servers built around small gaming communities so much. No anti-hack program is ever going to beat a server full of experienced players with the ability to spectate and kick. My most hack free FPS experience was in Wolf:ET as a regular on a server that was always filled with trusted regulars. When you know half the people you're playing with, it makes finding the odd hacker much easier.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I played a round yesterday and saw a guy going at 20-0 running around. I feel like I am pretty good at the game and on a good game get about a 2-1.3/1 k/d ratio. It seems like they should just enforce something like if the k/d ratio is too high and bullets fired is really low they should investigate that player or something.

Kindof makes me wonder is this is part of the reason EA will let you buy the guns pack. Seems like a better solution to hacking and if they are doing it just to unlock the better equipment.

man my longest kill streak is like 25 i must be a hacker, i mean i went 33-0 on caspian the other day in the tank

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
When I first started PC gaming I enjoyed putting in the cheats for Sim City 2000 and the original starcraft. When I started to game in multiplayer I didnt think hacking was possible at first so I didnt bother. Later on, I actually got good at some games and hackers were viewed as the enemy...

A few months ago however I did hack for the first time in Dungeon Defenders... I love the game by the way. I purchased a copy for myself, tried it out, and ended up purchasing the game for 6-7 friends. However, my account of 8 characters who were completing end game content got deleted through some server side error issue...

After 3 weeks of e-mailing the company and getting a response of "just wait, it will be fixed" my friends had lost interest without me and I had had enough...

I went to youtube, watched two videos and used a third-party program to generate 4 max-level characters for myself. This was less than what I had built before, but enough for me to play again.

It was easy and painless. I was a little worried that they would ban my account, but my characters were already gone... There are people in this game that hack gear for characters and sell it for $USD... I don't feel great about what I did, but I don't believe that it gave me an in-game advantage over anyone else.

Yea DD is way hacked, all the elite gear is hacked. People running around in gear that should not exist is on the 'secure' servers. I understand Trendy Entertainment is a small company but since they spend more time on making DLCs to get more $$$ instead of fixing or going after hackers it's not worth investing time to grind to get the good gear (which is one of the most important reasons to continue playing).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I hate hackers, all they do is screw it up for everyone else. I haven't played BF3 in awhile, but me and my best friend would play together a lot. We are an excellent setup, I would drive the tank and he would take up the gun on top and jump out and repair. We both would routinely go 20/30-0 and people would cry saying we were hackers and we would get kicked from servers. Only a few servers were the admins took the time to spectate us realized we weren't hacking but were playing very smart and working together very well.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I hardly believe his "evidence" of hackers. Sure there might be a couple, but saying normal players are impossible to sneak up on? Saying someone can't have you in his aim while moving?

And the servers I play on, if you're acting fishy, you get booted. If they are merely "hacking" just enough to get a slight advantage and be good, who cares? They are better than me. Oh no! What shall I do?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I hardly believe his "evidence" of hackers. Sure there might be a couple, but saying normal players are impossible to sneak up on? Saying someone can't have you in his aim while moving?

You might need to read that again. He said the HACKERS are impossible to sneak up on, because they have the radar and/or player marker hacks on so they always know where everybody is. You can sneak up on a real player, especially if you're hacking yourself because you can see where they're facing. Though, I do agree this is a hard one to test conclusively.

The one that's easy to test though is the accuracy one. From reading more about it, it sounds like an accuracy of 100% is damn near impossible to get normally because that means dead nuts center of the head hitbox. Somebody who is moving and truly aiming will sway from 100% a little, and if they're really good they'll deviate a bit but still stay in upper 90s (still almost always will kill you). If you see somebody at 100% all the time then you know it's not natural, and that's all he's saying. IMO it's his only clear cut test that's pretty obvious to see.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Given his description of how the hack works; I would say that PB (and similar) could be writtent to detect such (even fi they currently do not). However, I can imagine hacks of a different nature being truely undetectable (though they are a bit more complicated).

The question is does anyone care enough to actually detect these (I personally don't care much since I never play bf3 and similar).

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
After reading the capability of the hack it became apparent that dice do not care about hacks at all. The game implicitly trusts everything the client tells it, up to and including that it was possible to kill the entire team instantly all over the map all at once. As if the overuse of client side hit detection wasn't bad enough it is clear that if any sanity checks are ever done at all they are completely insufficient. You can never make hacking go away entirely but they pretty much rolled out the welcome wagons with that code design.

Last edited:

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Given his description of how the hack works; I would say that PB (and similar) could be writtent to detect such (even fi they currently do not). However, I can imagine hacks of a different nature being truely undetectable (though they are a bit more complicated).

The question is does anyone care enough to actually detect these (I personally don't care much since I never play bf3 and similar).

Not really - PB used to try and see what applications were running in the background to check for injectors, but people would just name them the same things as system tasks. Then you get into a variable amount of ways that PB might be able to check, but the fact of the matter is that injectors and overlays really can't be prevented.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is just identify the hackers if possible, and restrict them to only playing in games with other hackers. Really, they deserve each other. Also, put a special tag next to their name so everyone knows. If they join any private servers, everyone will know and can just kick them. Hopefully the amount of frustration from playing with other hackers and the ridicule from trying to play anywhere else will eventually cause them to become a decent person.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah 20-0 isn't that big of a deal. It's when you see people that are 70-3 is when you have to start to wonder.

Meh ive done that before, 64 player OP metro + support + dumb enemy team running into my line of fire = ~70-3 KDR. Not to mention all the medics running around.

When they do that shit on say caspian border or a large open map then start to wonder, people always get less kills overall in large open maps than small ones.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Pushing this back on the developers/publishers will frankly just increase their desire to get the hell off the "open" PC platform and onto "closed" console platforms. If there were only some way for the community to self-police.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
That Java applet isn't there to make the hack undetectable (sounded like the guy thought that was it's purpose), that's DRM. The author doesn't want to hand out the DLL and have you inject it, if you had a copy of it you could redistribute it for $5 less than him, or even for free. Keeping a copy of it off of your HDD is his way of preventing would be pirates from getting it.

As long as you are loading a DLL into memory, it can be detected, doesn't matter if it was sitting somewhere on your system or if an app grabbed it remotely.

I would like to know how he determines how close someone's reticule is to you.

Last edited:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I was in a 7 on 7 CTF match and my entire team was getting sniped no matter where they went on the map, one shot kills every time. By chance someone in a jet found him at the top of that tall red and white tower so he crashed his plane into him.

It stopped for a second but he ended up right back on that tower having used no helli to get up there, very annoying. He could snipe through walls, trees, anything and somehow he had TV missle's without a chopper as well. Seems like there are still plenty of honest players though.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
What a stupid reply.

Having to repeatedly hop from one server to another because of hackers interferes with the overall enjoyment of the game.

I used to play football after work. Everyone played by the rules and fun was had by everyone. If players start cheating and acting like twats then it reduces the enjoyment and people lose the incentive to continue playing.

Whilst finding other people is an option it just adds to the hassle.

Your opening line. +50! Well said.