BF2 Disk Thrashing

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
Thinking of upgrading to 2 GB due to some disk thrashing I'm getting. When I exit out of BF2, and the music in game is playing. I'll be on my Windows desktop, and still hear the music playing while the HDD LED is solid. I have a blast playing this game, it just seems buggy to me. Is 2142 done better than this? Hell, I'm even thinking about sticking 3 GB in there as cheap as RAM is. Anyone seen any improvements going above 2 GB for this game? 2 GB seems to be the sweet spot for XP gaming right now.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Yeah, you have to have more than 1GB to use the high quality textures, which I am assuming you are using with that card. Kind of sad, considering the game does not look much better than any Source game, IMO, but uses loads more RAM.

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
Yeah, you have to have more than 1GB to use the high quality textures, which I am assuming you are using with that card. Kind of sad, considering the game does not look much better than any Source game, IMO, but uses loads more RAM.

Yeah, I'm using high textures, and etc. I just bought another stick. The game is a coding nightmare from what I've seen. I have a blast, and all, but still it's got some problems. I had to reinstall the game last night because it started telling me my cdkey was invalid *for no reason at all*.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
The game definatly runs better on 2gb of RAM. Didn't notice any differance with more(I have 6gig in my main rig).

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
There's actually an article floating around somewhere demonstrating the difference in BF2 between 1gb and 2gb of ram. This was when nobody thought any one game could use more than 1gb, and that theory was proven wrong.

-z

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bradtechonline
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy

Yeah, I'm using high textures, and etc. I just bought another stick. The game is a coding nightmare from what I've seen. I have a blast, and all, but still it's got some problems. I had to reinstall the game last night because it started telling me my cdkey was invalid *for no reason at all*.

I wouldnt say its not coded well...it runs pretty well, you just have to realize that high quality textures isnt going to happen on a 1gb system. A CS map is MUCH smaller than a BF2/2142 map. Turn that single texture option down to medium and you'll run much smoother.

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
Since upgrading to 2 GB of ram I get no disk thrashing at all in BF2. Everything cranked on high, 6x AA 16x AF. Running great now!! It's literally night and day. Reminded me of upgrading from 512 MB to 1 GB for Doom 3 and Quake IV.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Bradtechonline
Since upgrading to 2 GB of ram I get no disk thrashing at all in BF2. Everything cranked on high, 6x AA 16x AF. Running great now!! It's literally night and day. Reminded me of upgrading from 512 MB to 1 GB for Doom 3 and Quake IV.

It fixed most of the stuttering issues I had when I had only 1GB from all the Page filing was going on. It does run smoother and close faster