Beverly Massachusetts

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Beverly, Massachusetts some time in Septemeber. We are wanting to make a small vacation out of it , not sure what to do in the Boston to Beverly area. I have never been, any thing that I should try not to miss?

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
I think September is considered off season time IIRC. If you have time to spend a couple of days on the cape, that is where I'd go.

Nantucket / Cape Cod
Newport RI

I've only lived here five years, so I'm sure people who are more familiar with New England will probably chime in. :)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
That area is pretty dead....middle of nowhere. However, boston is 45minutes away.

You are close to Nahant beach, but it is Sept.

Also, Lynn has some nice restaurants and it is not too far. RT 1 sucks though.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
TAKE AWALK ON dane st beach
legal graffitti wall off cabot
go sit off rocks on magnolia

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Beverly is up towards the North Shore.

You could go a bit further up the coast & spend time in Rockport, Gloucester & Ipswich.
Then a few in Boston & a few down on the Cape.

It totally depends upon what your interests are: i.e. beaches, museums, sightseeing, go whale watching, etc.

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
As a snob who lives on Cape Cod year round, I ask that you stay to the north. We'll just be getting rid of the summer tourists at that point.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Beverly, Massachusetts some time in Septemeber. We are wanting to make a small vacation out of it , not sure what to do in the Boston to Beverly area. I have never been, any thing that I should try not to miss?

Don't get sucked in by Salem. The witch trial crap is all hokey and for the most part based on a complete lie.

My advice? Head 20-30 minutes up the coast to Newburyport. great little shopping area. Good food. Nice boardwalk. Go a little bit further north and you can chack out all the historical stuff in Portsmouth.

Another option is to head out to the beach in Gloucester. You could also drive south along Route 1 and check out Nahant, which is a pretty neat little island town). Don't go much further south on 1 past Nahant though, else you will end up in a pretty tough part of Lynn.

Shoot me a pm if you want some more specific ideas. I live in Portsmouth, and before that I was in Boston for ~4 years.

Best

Sox

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
What part of the country are you coming from?

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Thanks for all the responses, we will be in the area for about 4-5 days. I am coming from SW Louisiana. Me and my wife are usually up for anything, we like all the historic stuff. Glad it will be in the off season, sounds like it could be pretty enjoyable. The legal graffitti wall sounds cool. So it sounds like we should spend a few days north then a couple days south.

And malbojah, I can understand about the tourist thing, we lived in South florida for about 5 years. Half of the population seems to be snowbirds during the winter.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Near Beverly - Gloucester, Rockport, Salem, Ipswich

North - Portsmouth NH, Newburyport, Portland/Freeport ME

South - Boston, Cambridge, the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
For the history buff-don't miss at least some of the stops on the Freedom Trail in Boston -Old North Church, Paul Revere's house and Old Ironsides. There is a fantistic Italian bakery around the corner from Paul's house, I can't remember the name but it is worth asking about.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Spend a half day and head out to Sturbridge village.

Working Colonial era town.
Took our kids there when they were young for a sense of what life was like back when the US was an infant.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
There's the Boston Science Center which I hear is really great.
Also the Boston Aquarium, which was 'ok', did that about a month ago

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Science Museum is cool, Faneuil Hall, all the touristy things you can do I guess. People already mentioned most of the decent stuff up that way (I live in the Western subs).

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
u gotta hit up one of the bill and bobs roast beefs
or nicks in beverly

sailor stans good grubin glocuester..cheap
valentinos gotz good pizza too in glocuester
lobstah land has hot waitresss/hostess
u could shoot up hampton for seafood fest on the 14th???
salisbury,plum island.
we got it ALL in MA
BEst state ever!!

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yall done goofed.

You forgot whale watching!

The consequences will never be the same!

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Since you're coming from a bit farther away, I would really suggest a drive up the coast if you have the time. Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME are great towns. Lots of history and very good food. Hampton will probably be dead by that time of year, which is only a bonus.

If you don't have time to go all the way up to Portland, drive over the bridge out of Portsmouth in to Kittery, ME and find yourself some lobster. I'd suggest Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier, for the kind of place where you're eating right on the water and can bring in anything they don't sell. Bonus that I haven't seen many tourists there (usually I'm the only one!). Local folks show up with a lot of beer and tend to just eat and drink for a few hours there.

My wife and I are headed for 3 day weekends to Portland in Sept and Portsmouth in Oct, if that's any clue to how much we like the area.