Better storage drive: WD Green or 7K1000.C?

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I've been looking through the market for a replacement storage drive, which will probably be used in an external USB enclosure (or in a less likely scenario, a simple NAS). I've read bad things about the Green WDIDLE issue and not sure I like the idea of parking the heads every 8 seconds. The Green drive I like is the 2TB and for the 7K1000.C I prefer is the 1TB. It'll start it's life in my case, then migrate to a USB enclosure, then down the road as a slight possibility of going into RAID1. Any opinions?

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
For bulk storage that you don't frequently access I'd get the green drive. For items that you access more often I'd go with the HGST drive.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
It's my MP3s, movies and streaming drive. It's hard to define if that's 'frequent' or not, but the MP3s are accessed most of the time and I stream movies frequently using DLNA. It will never be used as an OS drive.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The Hitachi. Even better would be the enterprise version, The E7K . They have gyroscopic sensors on 3 points around the platter that sense movement and vibration and adjust for it. They are great for USB enclosures or anything that might be moved or experience vibration while in use like from a case fan. They test them to be stable with a 300Hz vibration on the casing for 30 minutes while the drive is in use and to pass they cannot lose a single bit.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Both are good drives but I'd go with the Hitachi for the flexibility. I've got a 1TB 7K1000.B and it's been a great drive. Quiet, fast, and cool.

For a simple storage drive, you can use the Hitachi Feature Tool to adjust the AAM setting and make the drive more quiet. If and when you decide to use it as a OS or RAID drive, you can bump it back up for performance.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I highly doubt I'll ever use this drive for RAID. I would only use it for redundancy and I've found for me a backup to a DVD is more permanent and likely to be there than a backup to any drive/raid/nas. I'd much rather have 1 large HDD as a media server.