Better Mobile Processor?

DKlein

Aug 29, 2002
I'm looking at some HP laptops right now, and don't know how much better one would be than the other.

I need this primarily for video editing.

Options are:
Core Duo T2250 (1.73GHz) vs. X2 Tl-56 (1.8GHz) OR Tl-60 (2.0GHz) (both are in relative price range)

The Duo setup sacrifices on the GPU, though - it's integrated instead of an nV6150 on the AMD setup. Not sure how much that matters...

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
The Core 2 Duo is better than both, but the Core Duo (note there was not a 2 between the Core and the Duo) is faster than the Turion. You need roughly 200 Mhz more Turion to equal a 200 Mhz slower Core Duo, and probably 600 Mhz more to equal a Core 2 Duo. Also, the nVidia "6150" is just onboard graphics, just like the Intel onboard graphics. Both are dog slow, though the 6150 is slightly faster.

DKlein

Aug 29, 2002
Do you think the onboard graphics are going to make a big difference in video editing?

I haven't had to build a system for this type of thing before.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
No, not for video editing. A fast processor should be your #1 concern, and 2 GB of RAM should be the second, along with a large, fast hard drive. Why would you want to buy a laptop for such a desktop-oriented process, like video editing, anyway?

DKlein

Aug 29, 2002
It's for a trip to India to shoot a documentary. Then it's being given to the family, since they need a new laptop. It's effectively a three-week loaner. That's why I'm trying to keep the price low, but still have it be capable.

Regardless, I just want the freedom of a laptop. I'm not going into professional video editing, and would rather work outside, etc, than sit in my room and edit. It's a creative thing or something like that...

Anyway, I found out the two choices had me waiting until Jan 8 to get it shipped, and I need it ASAP, so I'm going with a dv2130us instead:
14.1"
1.66GHz Core 2 Duo T5500
1GB RAM (to be upgraded once I figure out the speed)
120GB 5200RPM SATA
GMA950 (onboard graphics I assume)

It looks like a good compromise for ~$1000.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: DKlein
It's for a trip to India to shoot a documentary. Then it's being given to the family, since they need a new laptop. It's effectively a three-week loaner. That's why I'm trying to keep the price low, but still have it be capable.

Regardless, I just want the freedom of a laptop. I'm not going into professional video editing, and would rather work outside, etc, than sit in my room and edit. It's a creative thing or something like that...

Anyway, I found out the two choices had me waiting until Jan 8 to get it shipped, and I need it ASAP, so I'm going with a dv2130us instead:
14.1"
1.66GHz Core 2 Duo T5500
1GB RAM (to be upgraded once I figure out the speed)
120GB 5200RPM SATA
GMA950 (onboard graphics I assume)

It looks like a good compromise for ~$1000.

Go with apple?