Better Mid Gen HW Approach: Sony or MS?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Again you are saying they look wrong. You can adjust tvs and you can fix all that. Sheesh

You act like you take it out of the box and that's all you get. Every tv across the entire 2016 Samsung lineup is hdr now. That's why I talk about hdr.

You said you were at the store a couple months ago. Samsung has had hdr tvs available since June of 2015. The js7500 through js9500 are all 10bit panels with rec.2020 support. Buy whatever you want but don't tell me you can't fix oversaturated color.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...080p-smart-hdtv-black/5412152.p?skuId=5412152

Not HDR.

You keep saying things can be fixed, but you're not saying how. Again, I touched EVERYTHING on that exact TV (the one my brother-in-law ended up getting, above). I changed the picture profile. I changed the contrast. I changed the saturation. I changed whatever else was there, I can't even recall off-hand what the entire menu was months ago. None of it fixed it. The picture's color still looked off in a way that has long been consistent with my complaint of Samsung TVs. You keep saying it can be fixed, but your saying it doesn't make it so.

Maybe your changing settings makes it good for you. I don't find it to look good, under any setting of brightness, contrast, saturation, picture mode, or whatever else I touched on that TV.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Congratulations on finding an older model that is still sold?

It negates nothing that they said about Samsung's 2016 line. And given how much praise Samsung generally gets for their picture quality, I'd say the issue is far less with them. It sucks getting blasted for a personal preference, but it might have gone smoother if you two actually talked about the same thing.

I also don't recall seeing a counter-example posted of what sets do have this magical picture you're chasing.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Congratulations on finding an older model that is still sold?

It negates nothing that they said about Samsung's 2016 line. And given how much praise Samsung generally gets for their picture quality, I'd say the issue is far less with them. It sucks getting blasted for a personal preference, but it might have gone smoother if you two actually talked about the same thing.

I also don't recall seeing a counter-example posted of what sets do have this magical picture you're chasing.

You just made very little sense. You're congratulating me on something as a moronic troll post, which serves no purpose. I stated that I wasn't trying to get an HDR TV. He implied I couldn't get a non-HDR Samsung. I went and grabbed a TV that showed a counterpoint. What's more, I say I don't want HDR, and he tries to tell me to go get a TV from a brand that he claims doesn't give the option of meeting my needs. Then, when I ask him how to resolve the color saturation, stating I tried several different settings already, he gave me nothing but "I can do it," as if that makes his point valid.

I never claimed any kind of magical picture, either. You're, again, just trying to be a snarky troll. I stated that I viewed LG, Sony, and Vizio TVs that didn't have the issue with unnaturally colored grass that I experienced with the Samsung TVs I looked at. Sorry (not really) I didn't get the model numbers for the TVs I looked at on a whim the other night, though I can probably go grab 15 of them from Best Buy's site from those 3 brands, and it would apply.

Why you two are so insistent on fighting me over "I don't like the picture of a Samsung display, after 3+ years of seeing them" is beyond me. It seems like you both own Samsung TVs and feel the need to assimilate the non-believers. It's like a Cult of Apple mentality.

I already stated that I seem to be in the minority. I know Samsungs are popular, and I attribute that to people's disinterest in accurate colors. They like when the image "pops," thanks to the overly vivid colors. That same quality is what I'm not fond of with Samsung TVs. It's like how many love the super-bassy sound of Beats headphones, but many don't. We don't hear or see things exactly the same, and we have preferences. The difference is that I shared an opinion and my experiences with Samsung TVs, and you two seem hellbent on fighting my opinion as if your opinion is factually accurate, despite no offering of proof.

But sure, I'll head to Best buy sometime, get all the model numbers, and post links to appease you (I won't).