Better football team, Patriots or Colts?

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Well after what I have seen from the Patriots, its hard to imagine them losing unless they forget to show up. Then I look at the power rankings at MSN.com and they say the Colts.

NFL Power Rankings.

I am a Seahawks fan above all, but the Patriots look unstoppable while the Colts have had a couple of close games.

Your thoughts?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
It will come down to defense if they end up in the playoffs together. The Cults build momentium in every 1/4. So if the defense can wrap a noose around them early, I don't think the Cults have a chance.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
The Pats are so good, they would probably beat the Red Sox at baseball.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Conventional wisdom will tell you that the defending champions should be considered the best until they lose. That said, the Pats look pretty damn good.

The real question should be...who is better, Dallas or the Patriots?

Fortunately, we'll know the answer to both of these questions in about 5 weeks.

Nov 3, 2004
i said colts, but that's just because they are the defending champs and both teams look very good. It doesn't matter anyways since Nov 4 will tell all.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Deeko
Conventional wisdom will tell you that the defending champions should be considered the best until they lose. That said, the Pats look pretty damn good.

Who will lose their first game of the season first, New England or Dal ass?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
clearly the pats are the more talented team BUT the colts ARE the defending champs and until they are beaten in the playoffs, they are the defending champs.

also, to say that the colts had some close games, shoot, they have faced much harder competition than the pats have.

opponents records.
colts opponents: 6 - 8 (with 4 of those loses coming against the colts, the opponents are 6 - 4 vs rest of league)
Pats opponents: 4 - 12 (with 4 those loses coming against the pats, the opponents still are below .500 at 4 - 8)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: iRONic
Who will lose their first game of the season first, New England or Dal ass?

Considering they both play weak teams next week...and then play each other, my guess would be whoever wins that game.

Could be wrong.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

It will be a good test to see how good the cowboys are since they havent played any decent teams yet (chicago isnt a decent team). I think the Patriots will be more than prepared for this game against Dallas (video tape jokes anyone?). However, week 9 will prove to be a tougher game for the pats IMO.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: buck

It will be a good test to see how good the cowboys are since they havent played any decent teams yet (chicago isnt a decent team). I think the Patriots will be more than prepared for this game against Dallas (video tape jokes anyone?). However, week 9 will prove to be a tougher game for the pats IMO.

look at analysis above, pats haven't exactly played world beaters either.

the colts on the other hand, their opponents are 6 - 4 against the rest of the league and 0 - 4 vs the colts. that says something.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Regardless, I think the Cowboys/Patriots question is more important because that has potential to be the superbowl matchup.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005

Regardless, I think the Cowboys/Patriots question is more important because that has potential to be the superbowl matchup.
Nah, everyone knows that last year the AFCC was the "real" Superbowl, just like back in the day the NFCC was the "real" Superbowl with the Niners vs. Cowboys being a prime example.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

look at analysis above, pats haven't exactly played world beaters either.

the colts on the other hand, their opponents are 6 - 4 against the rest of the league and 0 - 4 vs the colts. that says something.

I see what you are saying, but look how the Pats looked vs the Bengals against the way the colts looked vs the Texans. My point is that the Patriots are fluid and their wins are almost effortless, compared to the colts who have had teams keep the score close the past three games.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Sorry, I am not sold on the Cowboys (yet).

Am I the only one that realizes that the cowboys have beaten teams with a combined 3-13 record?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Am I the only one that realizes that the cowboys have beaten teams with a combined 3-13 record?

Pats opponents: 4 - 12 (with 4 those loses coming against the pats, the opponents still are below .500 at 4 - 8)

k?

Its way too early in the season to use opponents record as an indicator. Dallas has scored more points through 4 games than all but 3 teams in NFL history, 2 of those teams went on to the Superbowl. They have played 2 playoff teams from last year, including the defending NFC champion. I'm not really sure what else you want to make you "sold" on them, other than beating the Patriots, which they could potentially do in two weeks.

Sure its early, but who in the NFC has looked NEAR as good so far? Seattle? No. Green Bay? Undefeated, but that won't last. Uhh....Tampa? Do I even need to bother?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I hate the Pats but I'd have to say they look like the stronger team right now. In the upcoming showdown, I think it all depends on if they get pressure on Manning. In the past, he's had the propensity to get frustrated when that happens, but he was better about it last year.

Edit: Also, I'm not so convinced about the Colts' defense this year. Another factor will be what kind of running game Addai can have against the Pats D.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd say the Pats are better then the Colts this season, but ask me again after they play.

I seriously doubt the Cowboys will be able to stay in the game with NE ... of course with the possible exception of Indy, that goes for the entire NFL IMO.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

k?

Its way too early in the season to use opponents record as an indicator. Dallas has scored more points through 4 games than all but 3 teams in NFL history, 2 of those teams went on to the Superbowl. They have played 2 playoff teams from last year, including the defending NFC champion. I'm not really sure what else you want to make you "sold" on them, other than beating the Patriots, which they could potentially do in two weeks.

Sure its early, but who in the NFC has looked NEAR as good so far? Seattle? No. Green Bay? Undefeated, but that won't last. Uhh....Tampa? Do I even need to bother?

Seattle has played tougher teams and they are a team that does better as the season goes on. The only game they lost was due to a mistake they made causing a fumble. I would put Seattle over Dallas toward the end of the year; Then again, I am a Seahawks fan and had the pleasure of watching Dallas choke last year in the playoffs. We will have the pleasure of finding out soon enough when Dallas finally plays a decent team. Heaven knows the 1-3 Bills shouldnt be too tough for them this week.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I think Seattle is worse than last year, whereas Dallas is better...and Seattle needed a last-minute, one-in-a-million blunder on Dallas' part to win (at home) in the playoffs last year. But that's an argument for another thread.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I think Seattle is worse than last year, whereas Dallas is better...and Seattle needed a last-minute, one-in-a-million blunder on Dallas' part to win (at home) in the playoffs last year. But that's an argument for another thread.

Most respectable writers will disagree with you about Seattle being worse than last year. Their defense is much better than last year and their offense will start to click better as the season goes on.

As far as the playoff mistake, we will take the win considering the BS we got handed in the Superbowl.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't think the Seahawks are in THAT different a position from last year. I'd say they are marginally worse - although I could see the argument for better, either way its not by much. Meanwhile, Dallas so far looks considerably better than last year.

I agree though, the Seahawks got shafted in the Superbowl.