Better: Avia or Digital Video Essentials (DVE)?

Cyn

Oct 13, 2006
I hope this is the right forum.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience with either Avia or DVE for turning their HDTVs? I just picked up a 32" lcd from a Thanksgiving deal on the Hot Deals forum. I have been eyeballing picking up either of these programs for a while now, but just haven't been able to decide.

From what I can tell they both contain highly technical data, though supposedly DVE has some included test patterns that are very technical and not explained well (if at all).

Right now I am kinda leaning towards DVE because their site support is so good, and gives a pretty good explanation of what to do with the test patterns. It is also $19 vs $30+ on Amazon.com.

Just wondering the communities thoughts on the matter, and if anyone has experience with either and/or both! Thanks!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I have DVE but not Avia.

I'm sure there's multiple threads on the issue over at AVSforum if you want to take a look. I went with DVE because it was cheaper.

Cyn

Oct 13, 2006
How did you like DVE yoyo? Was it pretty easy to use? I am a pretty technical person, but don't want it to be TOO above my knowledge level. Did you notice an improvement in your picture after using it?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I have Avia and it's ok for tuning regular tv settings. It's not worth more than $20, though.

I have my TV set up using it and it's mostly informative and not so powerful.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
It's a shame there's no way to use a colorimeter on HDTVs, because that would be ideal. I wonder if they'll ever implement adjustable gamma tables in TVs for calibration use. Sorry, I don't know which of Avia and DVE is better.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Cyn
How did you like DVE yoyo? Was it pretty easy to use? I am a pretty technical person, but don't want it to be TOO above my knowledge level. Did you notice an improvement in your picture after using it?

Yeah, too bad I thought the color levels on my projector were pretty might right to start with so I didn't really make any changes that I thought really made any significant difference at all.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: Cyn

Yeah, too bad I thought the color levels on my projector were pretty might right to start with so I didn't really make any changes that I thought really made any significant difference at all.

I got around to running it on my new projector finally after setting up my screen and all. I found the accurate picture mode and adjusted the color to be closer to being right. I'm quite close now.

After the crappy job my auto speaker calibration did after I moved some stuff around, I have to recalibrate my levels... too bad it's 1am so I'll have to wait ;)

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I went with DVE based on reviews I read at the time. My only complaint is about the menu system on the disk and how needlessly complicated the navigation seems to be.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
I barrowed Avia from a friend and bought DVE. Avia >> DVE. The menu system in DVE will drive you bat $hit insane.

GrJohnso

Jun 18, 2004
I second the review of the DVE menu system. I bought it originally 8 years or so ago, and it sounds like it hasn't changed... It works to help you setup your TV/Monitor, but the navigation is nuts.

Anyway, most of the newer TV's have some pretty low-level color adjustments available through the special service menus, not through the regular OSD menu. Try to find the service manuals and see what options you have, you'd be surprised at what you can do to mess things up, er, I mean tune them to your liking... ;)

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah, the Menu system does take a bit to get used to, but after that I think it was pretty decent, although I haven't tried AVIA so I might not know what I'm missing.

I got my speakers calibrated yesterday at a sane hour too :p