Beto's 2013 new Performance PC build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
I initially thought about installing the Backplate to prevent the NH-D14’s fan clips from touching (and short-circuiting) the GPUs PCB. But you’re right, There’s not enough space there! I'll just use insulating tape. $20 saved, thanks!

It just happens to be that, due to some Amazon.com really low prices and Gold Box deals, I bought those components (Motherboard, GPU, PSU, Monitor & Wireless Router) two months before posting here. I now understand I should have posted here first.

Nevertheless, you’ve helped me save a couple hundred Dollars and shared your experience & knowledge which I really appreciate. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

OK then, finally I would like to ask your expert advice regarding tips for during assembling the PC and after the build is complete; DOs and DON’Ts, testing, etc. Please have in mind that I’ve asked a friend for assistance.

I’ll await your valuable comments.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Here's an outpour of mostly unorganized advice:

Be careful about static. It helps to have a humid environment. Don't build over carpet. Do build over a wooden or other non-conductive table. Either ground yourself or touch a large metal body before handling parts to keep static away from your parts. Don't touch the connectors--they won't run faster with skin oils on them. :awe: Keep track of the screws--keep the case screws in one place, and the screws you'll need for the PCIe card, the motherboard standoffs, the CPU heatsink, and so on separate. I like to get a box with dividers that allow for me to put each set of screws in a little cubby, which I label with a scrap of paper. Remember to install all the motherboard standoffs. Check the manual to see what SATA, PCIe, and RAM slots you should use first, as well as to check where front-panel headers should go. I like to connect everything to the motherboard and then everything to the PSU (I find that it makes cable management easier). Make sure the CPU goes in the right way. It helps to leave the side off after you finish installing everything so you can fiddle with connections if something doesn't work.

For Windows installation: put the OS onto a USB 2.0 drive (you sometimes need to install drivers for USB 3.0, so avoid USB 3.0 until those are installed to avoid headaches) to make installation very fast, 10 minutes or less. Remember to unplug every hard drive but the SSD to start (that makes installation easier). The first thing you should install are ethernet/WiFi drivers. The second thing you should install is an antivirus (I like Microsoft Security Essentials because it's lightweight and small, but effective.) The third thing you should install are drivers, probably in the order of motherboard > graphics card > whatever else. Keep things neat and clean, and don't download the weird junk software included with the motherboard that you won't need (like AV trials).

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Good advice from SleepingForest.

I would say that overall, the key to a successful build is to be patient and methodical. If something doesn't seem right, step back and think about it. If it still doesn't seem right, ask!

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
Nice! Your advice, including tips and recommendations, is so well organized and thought that I’m going to make it my builder’s guide from now on. Thank you very much! :awe:

I’m dedicating a complete day, taking my time for this task; no rush here. :cool:

So, after the build is completed I’m thinking about some testing & benchmarking to verify system stability; something light to moderate, no record-breaking kind of stuff. Is there any software you’ve used and recommend and testing tips?

Last edited:

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Whatever you do, don't benchmark the SSD. It's not worthwhile, and will shorten it's lifespan. Otherwise, check out this overclocking/testing/bench thread.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
<3 Gigabyte X79 UD7. :X

Its a pricey board... but it has solid performance and durability.
Op, if you can squeeze it and find it, id get a solid board.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Whatever you do, don't benchmark the SSD. It's not worthwhile, and will shorten it's lifespan. Otherwise, check out this overclocking/testing/bench thread.

I don't see the harm in benchmarking the SSD. Sure, you don't want to run the benchmark every hour for years at a time, but running it a few times isn't going to hurt anything.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I don't see the harm in benchmarking the SSD. Sure, you don't want to run the benchmark every hour for years at a time, but running it a few times isn't going to hurt anything.

I just find it easier to give advice in absolutes for this kind of scenario; too often I hear people justify it with "it's just one more bench" and then they've realized that they've done a bench for 3 forums and 7 groups of people each. That'll kill an SSD for sure.

Beto Garcia

Jan 12, 2013
That’s very helpful information as usual. :thumbsup:

Taking into account all of the above, I have proceeded to assembly the X79 system and will be testing / benchmarking it.

I extend to all of you my gratitude for all your kind help; I really appreciate it. All of you are very knowledgeable, indeed. :D

Best regards,