Best/Worst decisions by a singer or musician....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Gordon Sumner (C'mon Gordo...Sting was the face of The Police, not you)

Not sure what you mean by this .... they are one and the same.

I made the correction in a later post.

Originally posted by: NL5
Wow, you really need to brush up on your rock history. There are so many errors in your lists I'm not even sure where to begin.

If this is about bands breaking up instead of the person leaving.....I kind of classified them in the same light because the person had to have had some involvement with the breakup whether it be a desire to go solo or just being a dick and not getting along with everyone else to the point that they would all bail on the group itself.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Gordon Sumner (C'mon Gordo...Sting was the face of The Police, not you)

Not sure what you mean by this .... they are one and the same.

I made the correction in a later post.

Originally posted by: NL5
Wow, you really need to brush up on your rock history. There are so many errors in your lists I'm not even sure where to begin.

If this is about bands breaking up instead of the person leaving.....I kind of classified them in the same light because the person had to have had some involvement with the breakup whether it be a desire to go solo or just being a dick and not getting along with everyone else to the point that they would all bail on the group itself.

No, it's about the many misguided statements/inaccuracies in your list.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I'll say it again: Glenn Danzig! Bad!!!!

KT

Bad for The Misfits, or bad for him?

Bad for me, The Misfits, well and him really. How did his solo career go? The only Danzig song I know is Mother. The Misftis are one of the greatest punk bands of all time!

KT

Danzig I & III are pretty good. I liked his symphonic album as well.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I was going to say Journey and Steve Perry but I brushed up on my wikipedia skillz and found out that the band kicked him out.

EDIT: Dio joining Sabbath should go in the awesome category. Go Heaven & Hell!

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Where would you put Syd Barrett in that list? I'm not sure if him leaving Pink Floyd was good or bad for him personally.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Probably under the 'undecided' category. He was barely able to function he was so drug-addled.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
"David Lee Roth (first album did ok b/c of name recognition then reality set in) "

The reason they were great on the first album is because of STEVE VIA!!!!! He only recorded that one album and then DLR sucked after that :)

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Steve Perry putting Journey into suspended animation, then bailing out on the "Mega Huge Reunion Tour" should be in there.

Nothing like gutting the rythm section (from a band originally called The Bay Area Rythm Section, no less) to ruin a good thing.
Then to gut the tour behind the reunion album was a chicken-shit, nancy boy move if you ask me.

Yes, I had a financial stake in that coming off that was delayed and reduced as a result.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Clapton's got to be on the list somewhere. I like his work with Cream more than his solo stuff personally, but he's one of the biggest rock stars to start out in a band and leave to start a solo career.

Yeah for sure, Derek and the Dominoes were great too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Randy Rhoads joining Ozzy was a bad move if you believe the behind the scenes drama stuff. Ozzy was always the weakest link in his own band. I like a good deal of his old to mid-era stuff but I sure wish Rhoads was alive.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: Sinsear
ahem....Roger Waters

:thumbsup:

I think getting out of Nirvana, regardless of circumstances, was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. I think Nirvana might have continued for a while, but they'd have fizzled with most of their contemporaries by now. Grohl's got plenty of creativity he's totally free to explore without Cobain's influence.

I'm hearing more of Grohl in Nirvana's stuff, as I listen to N now.

Foos fricking rock.

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
I think Chris Cornell leaving Soundgarden to form Audioslave was a good thing, although they are not all that different. Him breaking off from Audioslave to go solo was kinda a meh decision tho.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: rasczak
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

I know I'm in the minority but I like Audioslave more than Soundgarden and RATM. :eek:

I agree with this sentiment, although i really dug RATM.

as for my bad: kurt cobain. i'm not gonna say more, except that it turned out to be a career killer for him.

I like Audioslave a lot too, though I like both Rage and Soundgarden equally as much. It's just weird sometimes to hear the intro to an Audioslave song and expect to hear Zach's voice come in.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
At first I thought Audioslave was cool but then any time they came on the air I found myself changing the channel sub-consciously like I do whenever Godsmack, Nickelback, Slipknot or ANYTHING involving Travis Meeks comes on.

Another one was Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden in the 90's which led to them releasing two steaming piles of albums. But it was all fixed when he re-joined in 1999. I was so happy that day, I felt like I was living in a cloud.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Nothing good came of Halford leaving Judas Priest. Halford's solo stuff was painful and Priest simply isn't Priest with a different lead singer.

Also Freddie Mercury getting kicked out of life and Queen deciding to continue as Queen has got to be one of the worst.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Nothing good came of Halford leaving Judas Priest. Halford's solo stuff was painful and Priest simply isn't Priest with a different lead singer.

Also Freddie Mercury getting kicked out of life and Queen deciding to continue as Queen has got to be one of the worst.

Ah yeah, forgot about Priest. Fight and Two were awesomely bad ventures for Halford.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I was going to say Journey and Steve Perry but I brushed up on my wikipedia skillz and found out that the band kicked him out.

This is a perfect example of Facts running alongside Truth, yet never meeting.

It is my opinion that Perry orchestrated his final "dismissal" from the group in order to save face as he is unable to sing at the level he expects of himself, and as such, could not say that and retain any control over the legacy material generally associated with the success that they share as Journey, yet Perry "owns" metaphorically since his is the voice we assoiate with those same HITS.
While I'm not suggesting that he lied about any injury or subsequent hip replacement, I had many occasions to sit, watch and listen to all of them interact over the course of a couple of years as they wrote and recorded, then the release drama with NAPSTER and there was a time that SP wasn't able to sing a couple of song without affecting the key signature so drastically as to change the overall feel of the song. I saw a change in him from that time on, and I'll even say there was a "look" exchanged between us that only a lifeguard can possibly relate to as you see this look of utter fear in their eyes.

Anyway despite Wikipedia's assertion that Perry was "kicked out" he managed to retain control and a financial interest in the band Journey for the 10 years since 1997.
That ran out last year.
It is for that single reason, that Journey has hired a replacement singer who is a cover band singer from the Phillipines, Arnel Pineda, and have recently re-recorded the hits along with some new songs, and they will be available at Wal-Mart in a coupe of months.

There is video on Youtube of this guy and Journey from Chile, last week's show.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

It is my opinion that Perry orchestrated his final "dismissal" from the group in order to save face as he is unable to sing at the level he expects of himself, and as such, could not say that and retain any control over the legacy material generally associated with the success that they share as Journey, yet Perry "owns" metaphorically since his is the voice we assoiate with those same HITS.
While I'm not suggesting that he lied about any injury or subsequent hip replacement, I had many occasions to sit, watch and listen to all of them interact over the course of a couple of years as they wrote and recorded, then the release drama with NAPSTER and there was a time that SP wasn't able to sing a couple of song without affecting the key signature so drastically as to change the overall feel of the song. I saw a change in him from that time on, and I'll even say there was a "look" exchanged between us that only a lifeguard can possibly relate to as you see this look of utter fear in their eyes.

Anyway despite Wikipedia's assertion that Perry was "kicked out" he managed to retain control and a financial interest in the band Journey for the 10 years since 1997.
That ran out last year.
It is for that single reason, that Journey has hired a replacement singer who is a cover band singer from the Phillipines, Arnel Pineda, and have recently re-recorded the hits along with some new songs, and they will be available at Wal-Mart in a coupe of months.

I love the fact that someone on this board knows this much about Journey. ATOT is a truly magical place.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

That ran out last year.

Thank you for your unique outlook on this. I wasn't saying the Wikipedia stuff was fact, just repeating what I read, and usually my bad memory garbles things.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
David Byrne's best work was on his solo albums. Well at least on Uh Oh and Rei Momo. The Talking Heads lost their edge with Little Creatures which was before David left. Apparently David needed to lose them. Of course his music sucked after Uh Oh. He only had a few more songs left in him anyway it seemed.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: broon
Some of those that you say were bad were not necessarily the singer's decision. David Lee Roth was fired.
Nope, Roth quit to become a movie star. Was never fired...the music for 5150 was already ready and waiting for him to come write lyrics to it.
Roth has acknowledged that he quit many times. The rest of the band was highly pissed at him when he did quit.

That's gotta be the dumbest decision...Van Halen was the biggest band in the world at the time, and remains even today one of the biggest rock bands ever. Definitely the best American rock band ever, and they're easily in the top 5 list of all-time.

And he quit. Now look....freaking 23 years later they get back together, and with no new material released, and not much pub for the tour, they're selling out arenas all over at very high prices....with "nobody" as an opening act.

I'd about guarantee if they manage to make a new album it'd be multi-platinum....not bad for a band with the primary members over 50.

Now Sammy Hagar....HE was fired, no question. The culprit wasn't really Eddie, although he's the one who actually did it...it was Ray Danniels, their manager at the time. He royally screwed up Van Halen. They ended up in a lawsuit to get rid of him.

Sammy recently sold the majority share of his stock in Cabo Wabo for 80 million, so I think he's doing okay.