Best Wired Routers For Emule?

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
Hello, all. Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct location, but just in case I'm not I'll don my flame retardant shield. ;)

This is from my posting on eMule's boards, but I'm meeting with little success there. Maybe someone can offer insight here?

First off, I've already scoped out http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showtopic=33645 and tried numerous searches, so I'm not just pulling this question out of my butt. :)

What are the best wired routers for intense use of eMule/KAD and Torrenting? Ideally I'd like to be able to run both, simultaneously, with high levels of connections, but having already burned out a Linksys BEFSR41 and working towards fragging my el-cheapo Dynex model (picked up at BestBuy as an emergency substitute), I would really just like to get a great router and be set for the forseeable future.

The router needs to be wired because that's the way my home network is setup, but I'm not opposed to picking up a wireless router with standard wired functionality, since I would assume its wireless capacity could be easily disabled. Anyway, if anyone knows what the best P2P routers are, please clue me in. Thanks in advance for any help or info. :)

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
Right...but I'm asking what the best wired routers are out there to handle such an intense connection load, not what would be an "acceptable" PC and OS setup. I'm looking to find the best router(s) because I have a habit of fragging them through periodic heavy P2P usage.

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: istari101
Right...but I'm asking what the best wired routers are out there to handle such an intense connection load, not what would be an "acceptable" PC and OS setup.
Um... yeah. They're telling you to build a router out of an old PC running Linux. And they're right in doing so - it will be (much) cheaper to take a junky old PC, put two decent NIC's in it, and hook it up to a switch than it will be to buy an off-the-shelf router that can handle the load. If you're already overloading a BEFSR, then you would need to step up to a "real" router that's going to cost you a whole lot more than an old PC to use as a Linux router.

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: cleverhandle
Originally posted by: istari101
Right...but I'm asking what the best wired routers are out there to handle such an intense connection load, not what would be an "acceptable" PC and OS setup.
Um... yeah. They're telling you to build a router out of an old PC running Linux. And they're right in doing so - it will be (much) cheaper to take a junky old PC, put two decent NIC's in it, and hook it up to a switch than it will be to buy an off-the-shelf router that can handle the load. If you're already overloading a BEFSR, then you would need to step up to a "real" router that's going to cost you a whole lot more than an old PC to use as a Linux router.

I'm neither technically inclined enough or in possession of a switch, so I'll just have to plow on with conventional routers. Thanks for the clarification though, because I obviously misunderstood the responses. My apologies to InlineFive and nweaver.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
How did the linksys "burn out?" If it was actual overheating you could try getting a decent little thing and adding some cooling. Other than that I can't think of anything that would really go tits up...

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
How did the linksys "burn out?" If it was actual overheating you could try getting a decent little thing and adding some cooling. Other than that I can't think of anything that would really go tits up...

My Linksys router behaved fine for a couple months, but then it starting overloading and rebooting constantly (even with a dramatically reduced number of connections), and it eventually ceased working completely. I was just trying to convey that I somehow broke my router through intense usage.

I'm not really sure what the problem was exactly, or if heat even played a role, but the fact that it didn't work anymore was reason enough for me to look for advice on a more suitable replacement. :)

ms526

Banned
Jul 11, 2006
Get a Cisco router, like the 837 which has a built in ADSL interface, or a 1700 or 2600 and buy the ADSL WIC card. Cisco routers are designed for industry and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at them.

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ms526
Get a Cisco router, like the 837 which has a built in ADSL interface, or a 1700 or 2600 and buy the ADSL WIC card. Cisco routers are designed for industry and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at them.

Alright, thanks for the advice. *Crosses fingers* :)

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Has anybody seen any studies on what it takes to "burn out" or otherwise have traffic problems with various "home" routers? I have several clients who use Linksys routers successfully for offices with 5-20 PCs and they haven't experienced problems. But they aren't running LimeWire 24/7, either.....

istari101

Dec 1, 2004
I do a decent amount of Torrenting and eMuling, and a prior Linksys router I had (of the same make and model, I believe) performed very well, so I was caught a little off-guard by my recent problems. Perhaps I just got a "dud" router that didn't show its true colors until after the return period had lapsed. I've read bits of info that various routers have a variable threshold for connection limits and the like, but nothing substantiated or as official as a scienfitic study. Regardless of what router I go with, I won't make the mistake of skimping on quality hardware just to save a few bucks again.