Best way to warm wine?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
So anybody have any ideas on the best way to warm a glass (or in this case, a mug) of wine? I have some spiced wine that I bought today, and I don't especially want to break out a pot for one cup, but I'm a little leery of putting it in the microwave as well. Should I just put some hot water in a bowl and put teh mug full of wine in that?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Pour in mug, microwave? Pot, stove? It takes about 15 seconds to clean a pot that has only had liquids in it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i'd assume it would require low heat.
boiling off the alcohol would suck

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Yeah that's why I was leery to use a pot for one mug's worth.

After surveying my pots and burning the crap out of my thumb on my toaster (why would they put a hot metal thing right above the lever used to lift the toast up so you can grab it>????) I decided on the microwave route. One minute warmed a mug of wine up perfectly.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Prepare Glögg in a pot over low heat on the stove.

Or get a specialty pot made for it. Pour the glögg in, light the tea candle under it, and wait for it to warm up.

In a pot over low heat is the easiest. Just don't boil it!!!! I don't trust a microwave with such a delicate item.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
boil water in kettle
put glass in pot
pour hot water in pot
pour wine in glass
wait a little bit, may want to stir the wine a bit

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Pour in mug, microwave? Pot, stove? It takes about 15 seconds to clean a pot that has only had liquids in it.

But, it's so much quicker to start a thread, open it up for discussion, and come to a consensus.

I think the OP has a career in consulting ahead of him.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
My friend would make this in a double boiler. Water in a big pot on stove, wine and ingredients in small pot inside. This way it doesn't get too hot and boil off the good part.

Feb 6, 2007
What's the best way to warm anything? Fire, and lots of it. If you burn your house to cinders, all your wine will be very warm until it is gone...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Thats why you bung a load of brandy in just before you drink it :wine: