Question Best way to upgrade from old SSD to new NVME?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
So i just upgraded some components (CPU, MB, RAM) but i kept my old SSD with windows on it. The upgrade has gone smoothly since i uninstalled all old MB drivers prior to changing hardware. To my surprise, i'm being gifted a 500gb NVME m.2 drive. My current SSD is a 2013 Samsung 840 series 120gb SSD. Worked great, but now its so full i can't install some of the new drivers cuz i'm down to 0 space.

How do i "image" my OS + all settings + existing software over to a new NVME drive?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking:
1. plug in the NVME drive into my existing system and power in.
2. format the drive
3. use Macrium Reflect Free to copy my old SSD to the new NVME drive.

country2

May 1, 2001
If its the free version no it wont. You need one of the versions with redeploy. Me I used Terabyte IFL for this many times now without a issue.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
If its the free version no it wont. You need one of the versions with redeploy. Me I used Terabyte IFL for this many times now without a issue.
wow... i wish someone told me all this beforehand. i went through 2 sleepless nights cuz then i couldn't even boot up with my original (didn't wanna mess with) SSD with my perfectly working windows.i merely wanted to clone the drive over to an NVME drive, did that but it wouldn't boot into windows (showed up in bios.) I was looking for all these configuration options that google was saying and one was to create a bootable media on a usb drive or something so i did that. Restarted and bam, my original SSD wouldn't boot. Pulled the sata cable on that and went through troubleshooting with the NVME and "reset this PC" and did a fresh install.

WIndows activated nicely as long as you have your Windows Live PW.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Your plan can still work but first you need to format the NVME using a window install disk. This is to ensure the NVME is formatted as bootable. From there you can just clone the SSD to the NVME using Macrium, but there will be spare spaces remaining unallotted. Use (Windows) Disk Manager to extend the main partition to the remaining unalloted space. However, this is only possible if the unalloted space is actually adjacent to the main partition. If not you will have to download the Free Mini-Partition tool to move and join the unallotted space to the main partition.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
This is why I keep buying Samsung drives, Samsung clone just works so well. My time isn't worth a $20 hardwaresavings. Not sure what brand nvme drive the OP is using though, if it's a different brand and was free then ignore me :)

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
This is why I keep buying Samsung drives, Samsung clone just works so well. My time isn't worth a $20 hardwaresavings. Not sure what brand nvme drive the OP is using though, if it's a different brand and was free then ignore me :)
I was trying to "clone" or "image" (never knew wtf is the diff) my windows OS from an old Samsung 840 Sata SSD to a "new to me" Toshiba XG4 512gb NVME m.2

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Create a win10 install usb stick.
Use macrum to clone your drive
Unhook the old drive.
Boot with usb stick and repair windows installation on nvme.
Reconnect old drive if desired.

pcswig13

Dec 12, 2013
I have cloned boot drives to NVME drives by using a USB cable that connects to an NVME, just plugged into a USB port on the mobo or the case. Then using the free version of Macrium, I imaged the "C:" drive to the NVME, powered off, removed the old C: drive and installed the NVME and BOOM! it works! Done this several times.