Best way to ship something to Canada?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I sold a book on Ebay that is worth ~$400, and it needs to go to Canada. They buyer would rather it didn't go through postal. He doesn't trust the Canadian postal service, I guess.

Anyway, I looked at UPS, and the international forms are so confusing, I can not figure them out at all. They call for codes and numbers according to such and such a regulation, without providing info on where to find those things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would consider going UPS, still, if someone knows about those forms.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
I sold a book on Ebay that is worth ~$400, and it needs to go to Cananda. They buyer would rather it didn't go through postal. He doesn't trust the Canadian postal service, I guess.

Anyway, I looked at UPS, and the international forms are so confusing, I can not figure them out at all. They call for codes and numbers according to such and such a regulation, without providing info on where to find those things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would consider going UPS, still, if someone knows about those forms.

"Cananda"...???

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
When my wife sends stuff to her mother in Montreal she uses either Fed Ex or UPS. I don't recall it being all that difficult. You just need to fill out a customs declaration and attach it to the package.

Edit: Just talked to my wife and she says the codes on the UPS form are for companies and you should not have to worry about them (assuming you are doing this as a private individual).

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Sorry, new laptop. Not used to the keyboard, yet.

But do you wear a hat on your feet, and do hamburgers eat you? Do they? DO THEY?!?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Did you know that UPS and Fedex have toll free phone numbers where helpful employees will gladly answer all of your questions and give you actual costs. Did you??

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I already have the costs. The UPS store can only ship expedited, for like $78, and to ship standard, I've got to fill everything out by myself.

Its just an individual shipment, but when I try to create the shipment on UPS's site, it gives me all kinds of forms to fill out, and requires all of the fields for NAFTA and duties.

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
Only problem is - using Fedex or UPS - the buyer will be hit with pretty large customs fees.
Of course - if they didn't mention it or don't care - then it's not an issue. UPS/Fedex will get there much quicker. But only with USPS can you mark the item as a gift to try & avoid fees for the buyer.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I believe with Fedex Express, you aren't charged outragous brokerage fees as it's included in the price you pay up front. UPS is horrible with brokerage. Definately Fedex Express or USPS.

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
I already have the costs. The UPS store can only ship expedited, for like $78, and to ship standard, I've got to fill everything out by myself.

Its just an individual shipment, but when I try to create the shipment on UPS's site, it gives me all kinds of forms to fill out, and requires all of the fields for NAFTA and duties.

Is there a checkbox/option for "gift" ? If so that might save the buyer some fees.
Generally I thought UPS/Fedex handled that. From the few things I have had shipped to me via Fedex/UPS from the States - we (myself or shipper) never had an opportunity to declare things like that. Just put the value on the sticker & pray for the best.