Best way to mimic Synology NAS with Windows 8.1 server?

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
So I'm moving from my Synology NAS to a Windows 8.1 server and would like to be able to access its desktop with other computers in my house. With the Synology NAS I'm able to access the IP address through a web browser and do whatever I want. I'd like to make this Windows server headless like this Synology NAS.

Eventually I'd like to be able to access it outside of my network, but right now I'm just looking for suggestion on accessing in home network.

Thanks

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
While you cannot mimic it exactly like a synology via web interface you can do remote access to the machine

for inside the home, just enable Remote Desktop and you are good to go.

for outside the home, you could look at teamviewer, logmein(not free anymore), ammyy
or you could setup Remote Desktop to be access from outside, but have to play with the router firewall and if you do not have a static external ip, have to setup a dyn dns
(maps dynamic ip to host name)

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
While you cannot mimic it exactly like a synology via web interface you can do remote access to the machine

for inside the home, just enable Remote Desktop and you are good to go.

for outside the home, you could look at teamviewer, logmein(not free anymore), ammyy
or you could setup Remote Desktop to be access from outside, but have to play with the router firewall and if you do not have a static external ip, have to setup a dyn dns
(maps dynamic ip to host name)

I'll give TeamViewer a try, thanks.