Best Way to Make Windows 9 a Hit: Relaunch Windows XP with Modern Features

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Yap, that is like suggesting.

Who needs Anti-biotic and modern Pharmacology.

Let just coat the century old Aspirin in different colors and everything will be OK.

:cool:

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Almost all pills I've been prescribed by doctors didn't do anything, and were probably more about "making money" and "ripping people off" than improving my well being. :awe:

In some ways, this could be similar to the Pentium M. It sort of went backwards and used the Pentium 3 architecture, and managed to achieve similar speeds at 1.6Ghz as the Pentium 4 did at 2.6Ghz.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
There is not anything in XP I would like anyways. Start menu? I can pin a limited amount of programs permanently in a limited vertical space. Task manager? 8 (and beyond) would use the one in 8 instead.

Control panel? A bunch of icons to open more windows of icons (that may not even have additional suggestions of what the menu settings correlate to). Fixed, single desktop background? Hidden ribbon in File Explorer and can be shown all the time versus hidden when not in use, versus a drop down (every single fucking time) for window menus in Windows explorer that is the same thing, but not emphasized on size for major functions?

I take 8 and beyond in improvements.

Oh and a mess of desktop icons (despite aligning to grid), is limited versus a Start screen of tiles (of sized importance) horizontally scrolled for infinite icon pinning)... Yeah, no.

Oh you mean, allowing developers to keep their programs being released needing to be run under administrator mode all the time? That is a good idea...

Last edited:

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Oh and I must really have the drive down, menu feature of "All Programs>Whatever folder>(folders)>...>Program shortcut" in XP. Then wanting to pin it to the desktop, then clicking the "Show desktop" button to get to it with all the active, opened windows in the way...

When clicking the shown Start icon (in 8.1), or pressing a Windows key to reveal the "desktop of tiles" Start screen, and going back to the desktop without needing to individually reveal windows or hit the "Show desktop" again to make my window layout reappear....

These mentions, many do not realize. Many do not realize that 8.1 (and 8) actually simplified desktop usage. (All programs do not need to be expanded for each individual folders to see what is inside, accessed by that arrow now or a swipe up at the Start screen). This is SIMILAR to Windows phone, in the home tile area that is customizable in size and what one wants to pin, swipe right to left shows an alphabetical listing of ALL apps.

And to group my desktop icons, I have to make them in a cluster on the desktop, with no name, just a cluster of them. 8.1 has named tile groupings....

And in actuality, desktop shortcuts have their icons in the tiles, it is just more emphasized because of the square around their icon and name.

But I guess people are indeed, superficial. Skin deep only.

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
I remember reading similar pieces when Windows 7 and 8 were both revealed and released. In the case of Windows 7, even arguing that the entirety of the Windows Vista codebase should have simply been abandoned and Windows 7 should have been based on XP. It was the only way for Windows 7 to be successful.

Some people just like XP.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
Here's an interesting article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Best...-Windows-XP-with-Modern-Features-417329.shtml

The article has no comments yet. What do you guys think? What elements of XP would you like to preserve/update if Windows 9 was based on XP instead of Windows 7/8?

@Imaginer,
I have no idea what you said in either of your two posts. But as long as you understand it, that's all that matters.

With regards to the OP's question....Im thinking the person who thinks Microsoft should use the Windows XP code base as a starting point has lost all their marbles.

The best way to ensure Windows 9 is a raging success is to show just a little bit more respect towards desktop users. Wait...make that a LOT more respect. A helluva lot more respect towards desktop users. I get it...touch is all the rage on mobile devices...simpletons who want to watch videos and don't have a keyboard and mouse...I get all that for "mobile" devices. When I go mobile, *I* dont wanna carry around a keyboard and mouse. But when I am at home(or rather sitting at a desktop computer) I want absolutely *NOTHING* to do with a touch-screen interface.

When I am at home, in my castle, sitting at my desk, staring at my 21.5" monitor with my keyboard and mouse...I have no interest whatsoever in fondling my monitor with my fingers. I will not be reduced to a chimpanzee in my home.

So, for Windows 9 to be a success either offer multiple UI modes for the user to select what they are most comfortable with. Or release at the very least 2 different versions of Windows 9. "Windows 9 for Desktops" and "Windows 9 for Chimps". Errrr, I mean "Windows 9 for Mobile".

I honestly think Microsoft knows why Windows 8 is a catastrophe and I believe they know how to turn it around in Windows 9. Desktop users were completely abandoned, an afterthought. And people were not happy about that.

I welcome all the "under-the-hood" improvements that are present already in Windows 8/8.1. It's not even about adding a start menu back for me, personally. It's simply treating keyboard and mouse citizens like first class citizens. When you are sitting at a desktop with a keyboard and mouse as your primary means of input, why do you wanna be forced to use a chimpanzee interface?

Windows 9 for Desktops - make UI predominantly centered on keyboard and mouse as primary means of input. That's all it will take for Windows 9 to be a raging success. Stop trying to dumb down the desktop operating system. Allow unlimited configurability and customizations when it comes to every aspect of the operating system. Background, themes, colors, sounds, anything and everything. And give us multiple ways to do it. Some people complain about choices. I relish them because each one has its purpose.

Oh, and lastly. The asinine idea I hear going around as a rumor of making Metro Apps windows that can float on the desktop??? Ummmm, no, not only NO, HELL NO. DO NOT MIX ANYTHING METRO WITH TRADITIIONAL DESKTOP. That is a FAIL!!! What's the point of using Metro Apps in Windows on a desktop? Just write a traditional windowed application.

Simple really.

Last edited:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I thought I hated change until I read this and the other thread about keeping XP around. Talk about refusing to let go.

I think MS made a misstep with forcing Metro upon the masses but they did have a point in that they did it with Win95 and it ended up working out. Which isn't to say that Metro isn't (IMHO) a step back with useability. MS (again IMHO) should allow users to load up the old tried and true start menu and give it's users the option to use that or the Metro. Other than that I can't see much else to keep with XP. Either way though, MS will always have the idiots coming up with any reason to hate the OS regardless of what they put out, and that's who you hear from 90% of the time.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
@Imaginer,
I have no idea what you said in either of your two posts. But as long as you understand it, that's all that matters.

Let me insert words inside my "somewhat" satirical tone.

With regards to the Start menu, I can pin a limited amount of programs permanently in a limited vertical space. There is also an improved Task manager on the desktop side of things in Windows 8 (and perhaps beyond) and I would use the one in 8 instead.

Then there is the Control panel. In XP it is a bunch of icons to open more windows of icons (which in that those icons may not even have additional suggestions of what the menu settings correlate to). In XP, you have only one, fixed, single desktop background. Since XP forward, you can have multiple wallpapers (have not used Vista, but I am sure it has multiple cycling wallpapers).

Then there is the revamped Windows Exploer / File Explorer and the ribbon which is an improvement. The hidden ribbon in File Explorer and can be shown all the time versus hidden when not in use. This is in contrast with a drop down, drive down menu of cascading (every single fucking time) for window menus in Windows explorer that is the same thing (refering to File, Edit, Help), of which unlike the ribbon, is not emphasized on size for major functions.

The ribbon changes and is context sensitive depending on what folder you are in. In 8, going to "My computer" folder where you see all of your drives, and above that, all of your folders in your library, you would notice the menu bar change to "Computer" and eliminates the "Home" and "View". In "Computer" there are things in the ribbon like "Access Media" and "Map Network Drive", grouped under "Network" section of the ribbon. This adds another level of organization that probably would be "Edit>Settings>Network>Media folders".

The "View" in the menu bar, has listings of file presentation that dynamically changes, with a highlight, and permanently chosen when clicked, something that does not exist in XP.

Native ISO running, opening, and exploring is also a benefit in 8 (hopefully beyond) that I have not seen in XP or 7. That is something Modern/Metro users would never see ever in many cases. It is the power desktop users that would benefit in having this handy, without third party install and manually mounting of an ISO. The ISO (being treated like a zip file for viewing the contents) can be mounted as a virtual drive.

All of that above and you still say...

The best way to ensure Windows 9 is a raging success is to show just a little bit more respect towards desktop users. Wait...make that a LOT more respect. A helluva lot more respect towards desktop users.

Nothing has been neutered in mouse and keyboard functionality in the desktop space. I made mention of additional mousing in lifting and dragging a mouse [straining your wrists over time doing so] over a longer distance [if one does not size their tiles to smallest in 8.1] in the Start screen. I also would like to mention that the desktop tile is not as pronounced in the default install configuration of the Start screen.

That above, has no hampering on the desktop side.

In fact I would also add that...

In XP up to 7, there is the way of a mess of desktop icons organization (despite aligning to grid). This option is limited in the number of icons/tiles being placed on the entire desktop versus a Start screen of tiles (of sized importance) that are horizontally scrolled for infinite icon pinning. "Yeah, no." to eliminating Modern/Metro on that front, because...

1. To use the desktop as a prime launcher for organization, one would have to click on "Show Desktop", launch their program, and reveal all of their active windows one by one - should one was already working with active and shown windows in their flow.

2. This is in contrast with a Start icon/Windows Key/Windows icon on the bezel of a monitor if on a laptop/tablet of accessing your immediate shortcuts, opening a program with the tile shortcut, and have your active and shown windows uninterrupted and still as arranged.

3. This organization does not need third party tools. A OSX like bar down at the bottom would still take up space. The Task manager can still have things pinned to it. It is in no way showing disrespect to the desktop.

I get it...touch is all the rage on mobile devices...simpletons who want to watch videos and don't have a keyboard and mouse...I get all that for "mobile" devices. When I go mobile, *I* dont wanna carry around a keyboard and mouse. But when I am at home(or rather sitting at a desktop computer) I want absolutely *NOTHING* to do with a touch-screen interface.

Segregation, I do not buy that in the computing world. Touch adds options. This comes from a happy Surface Pro 2 user, I can still manipulate File Explorer just fine with touch, certain third party programs with touch to an extent just fine (and options for a visualized mouse if needed or a traditional mouse or my now used pointing device in a trackball). You do not need to even buy a multitouch monitor. Desktop functionality is still there.

You are probably annoyed by the growing trend of touch screen devices and having a bias of the possible "PC decline" that you may have read from other opinions. If any, the integration would continue the PC onward as we know it. This is a plus.

When I am at home, in my castle, sitting at my desk, staring at my 21.5" monitor with my keyboard and mouse...I have no interest whatsoever in fondling my monitor with my fingers. I will not be reduced to a chimpanzee in my home.

And again, you do not need touch. This is coming from a user with a HTPC and a desktop gaming machine with dual monitors, using a keyboard and trackball that both have Windows 8.1 installed. I do not have any third party organization tools or Start menu replacements.

Since installing 8.1, I have eliminated my desktop icons, sans recycle bin, and completely used the Start screen in immediate program access. In fact, my cursor is even closer to the tiles I want, from pressing the Windows key on the keyboard to reveal the Start screen to launch programs, versus moving the cursor to the bottom corner to the Start button, moving the cursor to a tile (drumming through the expanded menu selections of a "All programs" pinning) and moving the cursor back to where I was in a workflow of windows.

So, for Windows 9 to be a success either offer multiple UI modes for the user to select what they are most comfortable with. Or release at the very least 2 different versions of Windows 9. "Windows 9 for Desktops" and "Windows 9 for Chimps". Errrr, I mean "Windows 9 for Mobile".

Read my integration versus segregation. I do not agree in this. And judging by your slander, it seems you do carry a bias without explanation through all of your quotes other than subjective ones. I brought in objective, functional reasons (and to an extent, improvements) in working and workflow.

I honestly think Microsoft knows why Windows 8 is a catastrophe and I believe they know how to turn it around in Windows 9. Desktop users were completely abandoned, an afterthought. And people were not happy about that.

Because, humanity always dislikes the first new thing they see if it does not agree with their world view or if it disturbs it without further analysis, experimentation, or playing about.

And again, desktop users are in no way or form abandoned. This feeling is mixed with the Windows Store release only catering to Modern/Metro layouts, and the feeling there is not going to be any more desktop software. But in the past, desktop users already KNOW how to get their desktop software and develop it if the need arises.

In the current desktop area, one can run signed code and unsigned code (ones that require Administrator rights or a User Access Control (UAC) prompt.

But if one actually looks in the Windows Store, there ARE listings of desktop programs in the mix with Modern/Metro apps. Clicking the desktop offering in the Windows Store, would tell one to go to the webpage for further information, as that is the "best for the moment" time to get the software. And you still say the desktop user is being abandoned?

Windows 9 for Desktops - make UI predominantly centered on keyboard and mouse as primary means of input.

That means eliminating any other input option that is not a mouse and keyboard or make them as unworkable unless one does have a keyboard and mouse. Again, as a Surface Pro 2 user, I would disagree on this. And this wanted option shows the immense bias in your quotes per above in my post.

Background, themes, colors, sounds, anything and everything. And give us multiple ways to do it. Some people complain about choices. I relish them because each one has its purpose.

Backgrounds in 8, 7, and Vista (not XP) allowed multiple cyclings of a slide show of a custom periodic time. One can still change the color of the title bar and taskbar. One can still change sounds. But these are all superficial once things are said and done in program access, file access, and workflow manipulation (all of which are actually improved in 8.1 and earlier to an extent in 8)

One thing I would add, is the ability to individually change the tile color of shortcuts in 8/8.1's Start screen, in addition to automatically assign the tile color.

Oh, and lastly. The asinine idea I hear going around as a rumor of making Metro Apps windows that can float on the desktop??? Ummmm, no, not only NO, HELL NO. DO NOT MIX ANYTHING METRO WITH TRADITIIONAL DESKTOP. That is a FAIL!!! What's the point of using Metro Apps in Windows on a desktop? Just write a traditional windowed application.

The added benefit of some Modern/Metro apps being windowed, is that is the return of always shown Widgets. This would be VERY NICE if it can be independently scaled and the scaling settings are saved for windowed Modern/Metro apps. Even better if they can be snapped with multiple snapping options vertically to one side.

Your solution is simple, if it was a rollback, thus no work needed.

However, for the longest time, I wanted a tablet PC. No design has been feasible (hardware and software) up until now. Touch has been present even with XP tablet mode, but it was also clunky. Swivel hinges are an additional step in deploying to a tablet mode and take up space. Now we are seeing various other hybrid deploy abilities in ultrabook convertibles that actually is more simple than the cumbersome swivel hinge. The OS, naturally grew to that anyways, because things like the on-screen keyboard, was there and also pen recognition (not to mention, handwriting recognition now).

I shown how you (and other misguided opinions for facts) came to this conclusion of the desktop being abandoned, the initial perceived touch opinions being lampooned, and the stubbornness of some people. I also pointed out your subjectivity when I pointed out objectivity and an actual functional counter when you claim that...

.I have no interest whatsoever in fondling my monitor with my fingers. I will not be reduced to a chimpanzee in my home.

There, is THAT the response are you looking for in my blatant satirical tone?

TL-DR, You still can have your cake, while others can take part in the same cake with their utensil of choice, and can eat it outside of the dining room.

Addendum: If you think my bias is set based on my Surface Pro 2 (and Surface Pro 1) experiences, at the point of having either device, I already have 8 (and 8.1) installed earlier thanks in part of the cheap upgrade that amounts to a typical PC game (and I did opt for the added Media Center in both of them - when it was available for free). I also did not jump on 8 initially when it first came out either, which tells you the possible time frame of the OS upgrade for me. I also did not have any excessive discomfort in mouse cursor movement (trackball for better arm and wrist health) that may arise if the Start screen and all mentions of dragging to the Start menu button being used.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
@Imaginer,

The best way to ensure Windows 9 is a raging success is to show just a little bit more respect towards desktop users. Wait...make that a LOT more respect. A helluva lot more respect towards desktop users. I get it...touch is all the rage on mobile devices...simpletons who want to watch videos and don't have a keyboard and mouse...I get all that for "mobile" devices. When I go mobile, *I* dont wanna carry around a keyboard and mouse. But when I am at home(or rather sitting at a desktop computer) I want absolutely *NOTHING* to do with a touch-screen interface.

I agree with the basic point, though don't know about the "simpletons" bit!

The more I've thought about it the more I see merit in the whole Metro design aesthetic. I do get where they are coming from, and from the point of view of the more superficial, casual interaction involved with touch-based tablets and phones and the like, minimalism, white-space and avoiding unnecessary 'chrome' makes perfect sense.
That is indeed how interfaces at things like public information points and public transport systems are designed.

As you say though, for intensive desktop use with a keyboard and mouse rather than chubby prodding fingers, its not really appropriate.

MS clearly had a difficult choice to make because the market is bifurcating. And us desktop users are probably on the minor branch. But I think they've bodged the job of fitting the two together.

Hopefully the MS behemoth will slowly change direction and make some concessions to us.

(I got my new PC finally and after changing my mind a dozen times went with 7. Will stick with that and see what 9 brings)

As for the OP, XP just has too many accumulated issues at this point, especially with security (and probably with its ability so securely support DRM crap as well, the industry being what it is). I don't see MS 'relaunching' it, that's not how they roll!

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Because, humanity always dislikes the first new thing they see if it does not agree with their world view or if it disturbs it without further analysis, experimentation, or playing about.

I really don't understand why you are so invested in defending 8 to the death. I mean, here you are making grand statements writing off the whole of humanity rather than acknowledging that MS didn't get this one quite right.

What you say here (as well as being a bit overly grand) clearly isn't true, or every new development or technology would have struggled as windows 8 is doing, and that's obviously not the case.

Some new things do well from the start, some don't. Part of MS's job is to allow for humanity's imperfections. They aren't a religious faith, they are a corporation trying to sell a product!

Anyway I don't think anyone would say win8 was total garbage, its just not very enticing for most desktop users compared with its predecessor. They need to tweak it a lot more. Which they will probably do with either 8.2 or 9, whichever way they go.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I really don't understand why you are so invested in defending 8 to the death. I mean, here you are making grand statements writing off the whole of humanity rather than acknowledging that MS didn't get this one quite right.

More or less, I am fed up with ignorant statements that I see on opinion that can't back up these things. Why should I be invested? Well, because I genuinely believe (after time of using it now) that it is converging on being the computing solution, and that companies should no longer be re-inventing the wheel.

Software languages, hardware architectures being good enough to work with, operating systems being close to being the good enough solution, all are tools to another end which we should be engineering or focusing on other aspects; Aspects to focus on such as dense power generation that is environmentally friendly as possible, solving densely populated transportation implementation, solving the political processes without bias from a few that satisfies the whole governed populace...

If we have this much technical talent that is constantly trying to make that leap from 99.6% to 99.9%, then why not divert that brilliance to making even space launches more viable? All the tools are there for development. And more so, all the tools are there to be anywhere (Surface Pro 2 and like minded devices).

What you say here (as well as being a bit overly grand) clearly isn't true, or every new development or technology would have struggled as windows 8 is doing, and that's obviously not the case.

In the beginning yes. I had found some deficiencies in 8 (not much in 8.1 to none in day to day operations). Hence why I did not even convert a Envy 14 laptop over to 8, nor even suggested a good deal to another friend of mine to upgrade his desktop to 8 (not 8.1) at the time 8 was really cheap.

Some new things do well from the start, some don't. Part of MS's job is to allow for humanity's imperfections. They aren't a religious faith, they are a corporation trying to sell a product!

Anyway I don't think anyone would say win8 was total garbage, its just not very enticing for most desktop users compared with its predecessor. They need to tweak it a lot more. Which they will probably do with either 8.2 or 9, whichever way they go.

I am bringing some objectivity and reason to offset some subjective extremity on the subject. I apologize if I sound like someone who is insisting on someone like the power shifting of cars when someone is clearly insisting on manual transmission of cars and down looking on automatic transmission (I think that is one of a relatable metaphor).

But when I see things like the tech industry (I define tech now to be more broad than just computers) going for the point of diminishing returns in things like 4K resolutions with not a lick of additional significant benefit, it makes me wonder why so much intelligence is being made to do something so little.

Counter argument would be had not such incremental processes have been done would not have chip processes, or software processes down to even get things like the Surface Pro 2 (and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pros, and Dell Venue Pros) but this is where the good enough point lies now.

You can maintain people to keep that space updated, make these solutions last for years to come, and not have as much people invested in developing another computing capability that is incremental, have a few group of people working on another computing solution that will be significant after several years, and divert some resources to thinking about other things (Google has a grand "home takeover" scheme with NEST, but that is another topic that I have yet to fully have an opinion over).

And also, If one has such thought process that doesn't have a bit of reason and analysis behind it, it might translate to other things. In short, I am tired of the growing extended "juvenile" mindset stay of the internet. Not to say one cannot have fun, but if one has such a thought process, then I question to that regard of...

And I apologize if I took a topic, went off topic, and went philosophical.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
More or less, I am fed up with ignorant statements that I see on opinion that can't back up these things. Why should I be invested? Well, because I genuinely believe (after time of using it now) that it is converging on being the computing solution, and that companies should no longer be re-inventing the wheel.

1)Opinions are opinions, they are not facts. How can opinions be ignorant unless they affect "your" life to an extreme degree. 2)Your own statements are contradictory to each other. You talk about companies not re-inventing the wheel. That's exactly what Windows 8 is. A re-invention of the wheel. Not a refinement.

Software languages, hardware architectures being good enough to work with, operating systems being close to being the good enough solution, all are tools to another end which we should be engineering or focusing on other aspects; Aspects to focus on such as dense power generation that is environmentally friendly as possible, solving densely populated transportation implementation, solving the political processes without bias from a few that satisfies the whole governed populace...

If we have this much technical talent that is constantly trying to make that leap from 99.6% to 99.9%, then why not divert that brilliance to making even space launches more viable? All the tools are there for development. And more so, all the tools are there to be anywhere (Surface Pro 2 and like minded devices).

Marked as tangential content. No comment.

In the beginning yes. I had found some deficiencies in 8 (not much in 8.1 to none in day to day operations). Hence why I did not even convert a Envy 14 laptop over to 8, nor even suggested a good deal to another friend of mine to upgrade his desktop to 8 (not 8.1) at the time 8 was really cheap.

I am bringing some objectivity and reason to offset some subjective extremity on the subject. I apologize if I sound like someone who is insisting on someone like the power shifting of cars when someone is clearly insisting on manual transmission of cars and down looking on automatic transmission (I think that is one of a relatable metaphor).

But when I see things like the tech industry (I define tech now to be more broad than just computers) going for the point of diminishing returns in things like 4K resolutions with not a lick of additional significant benefit, it makes me wonder why so much intelligence is being made to do something so little.

Counter argument would be had not such incremental processes have been done would not have chip processes, or software processes down to even get things like the Surface Pro 2 (and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pros, and Dell Venue Pros) but this is where the good enough point lies now.

You can maintain people to keep that space updated, make these solutions last for years to come, and not have as much people invested in developing another computing capability that is incremental, have a few group of people working on another computing solution that will be significant after several years, and divert some resources to thinking about other things (Google has a grand "home takeover" scheme with NEST, but that is another topic that I have yet to fully have an opinion over).

And also, If one has such thought process that doesn't have a bit of reason and analysis behind it, it might translate to other things. In short, I am tired of the growing extended "juvenile" mindset stay of the internet. Not to say one cannot have fun, but if one has such a thought process, then I question to that regard of...

You question why people want to keep making things better even if it's a little bit better at a time? Because that's how progress has been made throughout history. What you think is a juvenille rant may be a serious issue for somebody else. Trying to stay on topic here, from what I hear Windows 8, has a lot of good improvements. No argument from me there. Use the Windows 8 kernel as the base for Windows 9 but don't try to convince me that an operating system like Windows 8 is perfect for everybody as though 'one size fits all' on a vast array of different devices. From the tiniest cellphone to the largest desktop monitor, one size does not fit all. There is a 'valid' reason Windows 8 has been rejected by half of all Windows users. Yes, it's slowly getting better. Yes, Microsoft is "finally" listening after turning a deaf ear for the past 2 years. And all opinions are welcome. Some people love Windows 8, others hate it. Stop pretending, that those who hate it are little brats who are afraid of change. That argument has beaten 10 horses to death at this point.

And I apologize if I took a topic, went off topic, and went philosophical.

On this, we can agree. :)

Last edited:

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
@TheDarkKnight, The process up to Windows 8 is akin to working from 90% to 99.6% (for me - percentages not definite to scaled for reality). It is that 99.6% to 99.9% that I mentioned, but you think that is being contractictory. It is more or less saying that the tubeless, rimmed tire is the best solution for ages to come for the general use and some power uses on typical roads - thus no need to really re-invent the wheel.

I would respect your opinion more, if you can provide a workflow that worked better in XP (7, etc) that isn't just a blanket "monkey" arm statement. Because, I have not done as such with my machines. Hence, did you even read my second post response in this thread?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Best Way to Make Windows 9 a Hit: Relaunch Windows XP with Modern Features

I thought Win7 was modern version of XP with new features ;) ,you could argue Win8 is as well but for all types of hardware,the old desktop style OS is no longer the only kid on the block ,times change with regards to new hardware etc..

I don't think you will see a long six year gap that XP enjoyed ever again,Win9 will be interesting since Microsoft are still very keen to have an OS that can handle anything with regards to hardware.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I thought Win7 was modern version of XP with new features ;) ,you could argue Win8 is as well...

If MS took W8, said they were going to fix the mistakes with Vista and W7... and then called it Windows XPv2 or XPz or something clever, there would have been far less W8 Hate.

I held onto XP as long as I could, but even through my general ignorance I now realize W7 is better even though it doesn't look exactly like XP.

The idea of 2 versions... a PC version and a Mobile version, makes a lot of sense nowadays. In any event, MS screwed the pooch a little with W8, lets hope they figure it out...

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Its amusing how this debate has become so contentious. I simply have no tolerance for blind win8 defenders. All of its posititives are under the hood and the surface UI design (pun intended) is the main debate. Some say its great, others no. Metro is for bloody touch screens and to have it as default on a desktop/non touch is insanity. To not have an easy option to turn it off or not install it is further insanity and MS arrogance.

CRCSUX

Dec 10, 2012
I simply have no tolerance for blind win8 defenders

I hope you have the same tolerance level for blind win8 haters.

Metro is for bloody touch screens...
Why?

Stop pretending, that those who hate it are little brats who are afraid of change.

I think most people dont think that but at the same time we must stop pretending that NONE of those who hate it are little brats who are afraid of change.

Anyway I don't think anyone would say win8 was total garbage,...

Except the quite a few people saying its worse than Win ME. I would think anyone saying that hasnt used ME and 8 or has a bad memory.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Its amusing how this debate has become so contentious. I simply have no tolerance for blind win8 defenders. All of its posititives are under the hood and the surface UI design (pun intended) is the main debate. Some say its great, others no. Metro is for bloody touch screens and to have it as default on a desktop/non touch is insanity. To not have an easy option to turn it off or not install it is further insanity and MS arrogance.

Funny you would be more correct with saying some of that for Win7 over Vista,end of the day everybody has opinions and personally Win8 is far from being bad,especially from what some members say here,regardless Win9,10 11 will follow the same anti and pro debate just like every other Windows OS.

Btw Metro is very easy to use with a mouse ,how can anyone miss a Metro tile with the mouse cursor is beyond me,its more then big enough and far from rocket science to resize or customise it ,but I guess you got to make simple things seem hard to get a moan or two across :rolleyes: .

Also have you forgot you can boot straight to the old desktop UI on 8.1,again some of theses moans are not valid.

I can accept some people dislike Win8 or parts of the UI (no Windows is perfect not even on XP,Vista or ,7 ) but don't tell me Metro is hard to use.
Remember Win8 is a hybrid OS so you can use mouse and keyboard or have some people forgotten that too and want a Keyboard and mouse button menu mod :whiste: .

Win9 will probably still be a hybrid OS ,Metro will either get a revamp or a complete new UI redesign IMHO.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Ugh, while we're at it, let's bring back drum brakes and finicky carburators on cars, and S-Video connectors on blu-ray players and consoles.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Honestly, if they took the Win8 kernel and security improvements and simply put the Windows XP GUI on top of it, it would probably be a big hit. Most of the resistance to Windows 8 is because of the user interface. Whether you personally like it or not, the fact that it is different completely eliminates it as a possibility for the vast majority of "regular" computer users that just want to be able to use the computer the way they know how to use it to get their Facebook and email.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Honestly, if they took the Win8 kernel and security improvements and simply put the Windows XP GUI on top of it, it would probably be a big hit. Most of the resistance to Windows 8 is because of the user interface. Whether you personally like it or not, the fact that it is different completely eliminates it as a possibility for the vast majority of "regular" computer users that just want to be able to use the computer the way they know how to use it to get their Facebook and email.

Personally, I prefer the Win7 interface (with some tweaks to re-enable the quick launch toolbar), but I otherwise totally agree with this sentiment. I absolutely despise Metro as it totally disrupts my established workflows, but I'll also be the first to admit that Win8 overall represents a very significant technological advancement under the hood over its predecessors.

However, the real issue that will finally determine the future of Win9 lies with the large enterprise customers who are Microsoft's bread and butter. There are probably a trillion+ dollars worth of in-house and home-grown applications out there in government and big enterprise shops that do things that just aren't suitable for a touch interface like Metro. Plus, you also have to factor in the exorbitant cost of adding hardware upgrades and also retraining enterprise workforces with large segments that don't particularly appreciate new ideas or new things inherent to a Metro-style interface. In short, not going to happen. And, Microsoft will either adapt to that reality or will end up withering away to nothing. I guess we'll get to see first hand how it will play out in the future.

Aldon

Nov 21, 2013
They just need to offer a lot more interfaces. One for users that praise Windows 7, one for users that praise this metro shit, and one for users that use touchscreens. Windows 8.1 came close, but with the new explorer and search function embedded into Windows 7, it would just be... orgasm.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

<snip>

Wrong. You stop innovating and stop re-inventing you get stagnation and everything becomes shitty. You should always at least strive for something better if it really is better and worth it. And stop mentioning XP. Die already. Its not 2001. We will never ever ever go back to that time. Everything has changed. Its all mobile now, and if you don't like it, too bad. Microsoft will do as it wills.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Personally I think 7 is better than XP anyway. 7 is the best OS they ever made.

Whatever they do with 9, the only thing that I think they should abandon is the two user interface paradigms in one OS idea. Either go all Metro or all Desktop, but not both. If you have a metro only OS for phones and tablets, and a Desktop only OS for laptops, desktops and servers, that would be the best if you ask me. But msot of complaints around 8 have to do with it shoehorning both interfaces in.