Best way to edit game-play recordings? (4k/30FPS/120Mbps)

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Well I have tried many different things and I just can't seem to get what I'm after.

I am using Shadowplay to record game-play from some various games. I am recording at 4k/30fps/120 Mbps. These are primarily for YouTube and Youtube doesn't allow 60fps at 4k (that I am aware of) hence the 30fps. Yes, this produces very large files. Don't care. When I throw up a clip on a 120" screen, there is indeed a difference between 100Mbps and 120 so, no biggie I have no lack of storage space ...yet (25TB or so).

I have heard there are better programs out there (dxtory, OBS, etc) but have yet to find anyone who can provide me with help to configure these to get output that looks anywhere close to what I get with Shadowplay so, Shadowplay it is.

Here is my issue, I can't seem to figure out how to do some VERY basic editing of these files without audio trouble. Using Adobe Premier (I am a novice here), I know how to clip a video (which is basically the only editing I am looking to do) but the audio is out of sync (this is even before any editing). Using Handbrke to re-encode at a constant framerate has yet to give me the same level of quality in the output so far, so that's out. I have tried MP4 and x264 and used basically the highest quality settings (or a bit rate at 120000) but still, its not the same (which very well may be unavoidable).

So the question is, is there any program out there, that will let me do some simple "clipping" of an x264 recording, where the audio does not go wildly out of sync (again, the audio ends up out of sync long before any edits are made......this due to teh variable framerate id imagine) OR, how on Earth can I re-encode a file into a constant bitrate with a VERY minimal loss in quality?

EDIT- Left out my specs (in case they are relevant):

Win 10 Pro x64
i7 5930k
X99p
64GB DDR4
GTX 1080 FTW x2 Sli
1TB Samsung EVo 850 x2

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
use pot player and get it to record your desktop.

also use avidemux to edit your files smaller.

that works for me when capturing from cheap asian hdmi capter card.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I couldn't find a free solution that handled Shadowplay's encodes that well, so I bought a copy of Sony Movie Studio 13 from Amazon for ~$40.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Have you thought about downscaling the videos to 2K at 60FPS? It's probably just a preference, but I'd rather see a 1080 video at 60FPS than a 4K video at 30FPS.