Best way to cook tater tots?

Feb 19, 2001
Is it via deep frying? I've had soggyass ones from the oven, and at best they are never as crispy as the ones that are deep fried at our school's dining commons.

Hmm, I don't have a deep fryer either =[. Maybe I should get a pot and just dump oil in it?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yep, heat your oil (canola or veg) in a solid, deep metal pot, to around 350 F and fry up the tots!

KT

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
pfft ... bake them .. WAY easier than messing with oil, etc. Just make sure you bake them long enough to get the cripsy factor you're looking for

S

SlitheryDee

Deep frying tastes better, but I always bake them because I figure it's somewhat healthier. Tastes good enough for me. The package instructions should be treated as a rule of thumb, but if they come out soggy you might try cooking longer or at a higher temperature.

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
I use a frying pan and put oil in that, maybe halfway up the tots and then flip em a few times and they come out great.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
First cook up a pound of bacon.
Eat the bacon.
Cook the tater tots in the bacon grease.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Soggy could be undercooked. I usually bake them. Or I might fry them in a pan and then mash them up and add some eggs.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
There is so much oil holding them together that deep frying them just adds insult to injury!

Baking is the only way to go!

Ensure you bake at 425 and turn after 10-minutes.

Sep 12, 2004
Here's a little trick I use for frozen tater tots: Set your oven to 450 and let it come to temp. While the oven is heating up, microwave the tots on the auto-defrost setting. Put a paper towel under them on a plate and just bring them to @ room temp or slightly above. Let them sit for about 15 minutes so the excess moisture can drain off. Now bake them about 7 - 10 minutes a side, keping a close eye on them. They'll come out nice and crispy on the outside and will still be deliciously moist and tender inside.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Eat the bacon.

I have no idea what 'tater tots' are but I'm guessing that this would be the best.

Bacon fat FTW!

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: WelshBloke
I have no idea what 'tater tots' are...

Cylinder shaped pieces of hash brown. Often used as an alternative to french fries.

Text

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
Eat the bacon.

This is essentially the best way to cook anything.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I made some last week.. deep fryed some chicken wings first, and then tater tots. the tots took about 5-7 mins total in the oil and tasted great.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
I have no idea what 'tater tots' are...

Cylinder shaped pieces of hash brown. Often used as an alternative to french fries.

Text

Ah cheers, I stand by what I said just sprinkle some statins on top!