Best value razor blades?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have been using the Dollar Shave Club razors and they are fine but was wondering if there are better options. I was in Walmart and saw this razor brand that I never heard of, I think it may have been some Swiss or German brand going by the name and there were packs of blades for it for really cheap.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
LOL. Why do men worry so much about shaving? If you want to look like a girl, get gender surgery.

Men are hairy. I use whatever double edge disposable is on sale and bar soap, in the shower with a "fog free" mirror.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have been using the Dollar Shave Club razors and they are fine but was wondering if there are better options. I was in Walmart and saw this razor brand that I never heard of, I think it may have been some Swiss or German brand going by the name and there were packs of blades for it for really cheap.
Try it, if you really like it, know what it compares to, stock up.

I found, on ebay, a deal for individually packaged 3 blade Schick promotional giveaways cheap, 50 of them. I'm working my way through them slowly. I can make one last 6 months before it strikes me that it's not getting the job done. I clean under running water, using a toothbrush if necessary (uncommon), dry it in a towel and remove from the humid bathroom. Moisture does degrade the stainless steel, so keeping it dry extends the life. There are tricks to sharpen them too, but I don't bother with them, maybe I should, I could get another month or two out of them (youtube it).

I have a couple of Norelco electrics but almost never use one. Even with new heads installed the Norelco leaves me with razor burn. I don't use after shave. Have been working on a canister of shave gel for several years. I don't like too much or too little gel. I only shave right out of the shower, at my sink. The shower softens the whiskers.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
180124191254-du904a.jpg

Bought mine almost 30 years ago. Altogether, including consumables, I've spent about $1.25 a year on shaving.

Reactions: gill77

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
About a month ago I switched from an electric razor to a double-edged safety razor and haven't looked back. No more razor burn. I'm still experimenting with blades (I got two of the Top 10 samplers from TryABlade) - I like the Feathers but they're really freaking sharp and you've gotta have your technique down. I just used the Gillette 7 O'Clock and it's pretty good.

You wanna see obsession? Go to r/wickededge. Some of those guys must sleep with their shaving kits.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
About a month ago I switched from an electric razor to a double-edged safety razor and haven't looked back. No more razor burn. I'm still experimenting with blades (I got two of the Top 10 samplers from TryABlade) - I like the Feathers but they're really freaking sharp and you've gotta have your technique down. I just used the Gillette 7 O'Clock and it's pretty good.

You wanna see obsession? Go to r/wickededge. Some of those guys must sleep with their shaving kits.
The one I saw at Walmart was a safety razor

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Honestly, I've tried all of the fad subscription blades, and either the Schick Hydro 5 or (especially) the Gillette Fusion blades seem to last the longest. They're expensive, but if they stay sharp for 4-6 weeks and they do a great job, I don't really care. I'm currently using the Fusion Proglide razor with the ball on the handle and it's the best razor I've ever owned. I like to pair it up with Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving cream (another thing that seems expensive, but it lasts for 3-4 months).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
180124191254-du904a.jpg

Bought mine almost 30 years ago. Altogether, including consumables, I've spent about $1.25 a year on shaving.

I would never mess with a straight razor. Just looks like you're one motion away from a jugular catastrophe! :)

Nov 8, 2012
I subscribed to all of the razor subscription companies once - because they try to sucker people in with an initial fulfullment of something small... like $5 for a razor + 4 blades. Then I cancel....

Normally I just use a double-edge.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I subscribed to all of the razor subscription companies once - because they try to sucker people in with an initial fulfullment of something small... like $5 for a razor + 4 blades. Then I cancel....

Normally I just use a double-edge.
I still have some, those old Gillettes. When I got my 50 triple-edge Schick Xtreme's I stopped using the Gillettes. 3 blades is better than 2. All that swivel stuff, I tried some, it's kind of a gimmick, IMO.

Last edited:

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Many Canadians have done this.
I won't try a chainsaw.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I usually find the best deals on multi-packs of those flexible-head Schick 3-blade disposables. Most of the time I can snag 4/5 of them @ Walmart for less then $4.00 with coupon and they do a great job. (note I also shave my head and for that they are the best I've found)

Occasionally I'll spring for a pack of Fusion blades which IMO give the best shave overall of any razor available plus they also seem to last the longest and have the best designed trimmer-blade too.

I've also tried the various internet-cheapo's ... Dollar Shave club's 4 & 6-blade models give a great shave for 3 to 5 shaves maximum on my steel-wool beard. Its almost like they use softer steel then most? Harry's work great and last far longer but no trimmer-blade built in which for me is a deal-breaker.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

Feather razors are smooth and sharp, though like you said you got to have your technique down.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
LOL. Why do men worry so much about shaving? If you want to look like a girl, get gender surgery.

Men are hairy. I use whatever double edge disposable is on sale and bar soap, in the shower with a "fog free" mirror.

I am not hairy thank god!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Get yourself a good adjustable safety razor and buy your blades in bulk online.

I have a Merkur Progress and shave with Astra Superior Platinum blades. I find the Astras last longer and are not as agressive as Feather or Merkur blades.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I usually find the best deals on multi-packs of those flexible-head Schick 3-blade disposables. Most of the time I can snag 4/5 of them @ Walmart for less then $4.00 with coupon and they do a great job. (note I also shave my head and for that they are the best I've found)

Occasionally I'll spring for a pack of Fusion blades which IMO give the best shave overall of any razor available plus they also seem to last the longest and have the best designed trimmer-blade too.

I've also tried the various internet-cheapo's ... Dollar Shave club's 4 & 6-blade models give a great shave for 3 to 5 shaves maximum on my steel-wool beard. Its almost like they use softer steel then most? Harry's work great and last far longer but no trimmer-blade built in which for me is a deal-breaker.

The length they last is the main point I make in value. Those shave-club razors all seem to go dull in 2 weeks, which makes sense since they're most likely generic Chinese stamped blades. Companies like Gillette put a lot of R&D into alloys and design, so their blades are expensive but last 3x longer, and they just plain work better. With shave-club blades you end up paying the same price for an inferior product in the end.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
<-------- (For reference, I'm on your left.)

Anyway, what is this "shaving" of which you speak?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I dont know about Dollar Shave Club, but Dorco razors last much, much longer than 3-5 shaves. They last 4 weeks or more and I shave daily. P&G sued DSC and Dorco a couple of years ago.

"P&G claimed that Dollar Shave Club’s razors infringe on patented technology used in the manufacture of Gillette’s Fusion, Mach 3 and Venus razors, which include cutting edges made of carbon, an overcoat layer of chromium and an outer layer of the synthetic resin polytetrafluoroethylene."

"The amended complaint states that Dorco has distributed shaving products that P&G claims infringe on its patents through Pace Shave Inc. and Dollar Shave Club as well as Costco, Sam’s Club, K-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Walgreens, Family Dollar, Dollar General and Dorco USA Inc."

As much as you'd think they are different, they are pretty close. Especially at 5x the price.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
They seem expensive but in the grand scheme of things, $2 per two weeks or more is nothing. I buy Mach 3 blades in bulk. They have come down in price over the years. I think due to competition. I have used the Harry's ones before. The blades are fine but the design of the cartridge was bad.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They seem expensive but in the grand scheme of things, $2 per two weeks or more is nothing. I buy Mach 3 blades in bulk. They have come down in price over the years. I think due to competition. I have used the Harry's ones before. The blades are fine but the design of the cartridge was bad.

I used to swear by Mach 3 blades and later sometimes the disposables. They carriedhad a huge package at Costco I'd buy like once a year. Still have a couple handles stashed away somewhere. Was nice to have a compact blade that would shave my entire face without needing a second single "trim" blade. All the 5 or 6 blade monsters they make now are relatively awkward and just too big for my face.

Last edited: