Best under $200 upgrade card to play Tribes: Ascend?

pschmeer

Sep 27, 2012

I am currently using a ATI Radeon 5750 1GB DDR3 vid card on a Gigabyte AMD MA770T-UD3P MOBO w/Win XP 32 bit w/Phenom II X2550 Black edition 600 watt power supply. Unless I run the game with low textures (and perhaps graphics), I get a message “not enough video memory” and a crash to desktop. I don’t even need to play the game. All I need to do is select “high” textures. My main question is, do I need to get a card with more memory (ie. 2 GB) or do I just need a better 1GB card? I am considering a Radeon HD 6850 but not sure if that will be enough of an upgrade. Any suggestions/comment are welcome. And oh yeah. Tribes: Ascend rocks! Get it for free!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
That card should be plenty fast for the game, you should not even have to put it on low textures. Unless you are running insane res for some reason..

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

I am currently using a ATI Radeon 5750 1GB DDR3 vid card on a Gigabyte AMD MA770T-UD3P MOBO w/Win XP 32 bit w/Phenom II X2550 Black edition 600 watt power supply. Unless I run the game with low textures (and perhaps graphics), I get a message “not enough video memory” and a crash to desktop. I don’t even need to play the game. All I need to do is select “high” textures. My main question is, do I need to get a card with more memory (ie. 2 GB) or do I just need a better 1GB card? I am considering a Radeon HD 6850 but not sure if that will be enough of an upgrade. Any suggestions/comment are welcome. And oh yeah. Tribes: Ascend rocks! Get it for free!

I run the game at the second to the lowest graphics settings with the system in my sig, just so I don't drop below 60fps @1680x1050. I think the card BallaTheFeared suggested would do well @ HD resolutions as a minimum. If you want to run everything on high, you'll probably need a better GPU. When allot of people are on a server game play can bog down (same as with BF3, etc.).

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I am also using a 22" LCD at 1680x1050. Even at this so-called low res 1GB is more than enough for most games but not all. 2GB is the sweet spot for this res.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I haven't run into any problems yet at 1080p, outside of heavily modded skyrim - if your goal is to add huge format texture files with moderately better IQ than 2GB should factor in for you. If you wish to play at acceptable settings in that gpu power class in any other game currently out the frame buffer size will not matter at this time.

Keep in mind a lot of titles your 555 will be limiting, regardless of any mainstream class gpu you select.

If on a budget I would consider looking for a used 955 C3 and an aftermarket cooler (if you don't already have one), and a used GPU. You can get 5870's for around $110 these days, even older Fermi cards for around the same if are concerned about tessellation or driver longevity.

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
It's actually the game not running well with windows 7 32.

You can search for it online but basically you need to increase your memory usage space.

Start button, Search "Command Prompt", right click select run as administrator

type the command

"bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072"

reboot.

Now you're running in a 3gb user 1gb system address space.

To go back to a 2gb 2gb space. Repeat the above with

"bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva"

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I tested this game on my 5750 (1GB DDR5) some 6 months ago and had no troubles with memory usage or anything else...

try different drivers or something....
but if you want to upgrade the 7850 1GB is a great choice.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
7850 does sound like a good upgrade. Very good price point these days.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah but he will play other games too and $30 more seems like a good investment to me.

pschmeer

Sep 27, 2012
WOW guys! Thanks for all of the advice. First thing I am going to do is upgrade to Win7 and add more RAM. I currently have 4 gigs (2x2), with two more open slots. I had purchased a 4gig stick before realizing I couldn’t use any more in XP, so the plan is to get another 4gig stick and use those two in the two open slots for a total of 12 gigs. Please let me know if you think that is a bad idea to mix the different sizes of RAM and whether I should rather just use the two 4 gig sticks. Next I will overclock the CPU a bit, as it is my understanding that the Phenom II black edition is very overclockable and easy to do (I have never overclocked anything). It is also my understanding that this particular CPU can be turned into a quad core (by unlocking two additional cores) very easily. I read that when I bought it. But I am skeptical that that will help with regards to this game, or any games, for that matter. After that, I will then consider upgrading the GPU. The thing is, I can run T:A with very acceptable FPS, but I have to turn the textures, and perhaps the graphic options, down quite a bit to avoid the “out of video memory” crash. Like most gamers, I want more eye candy w/o losing frame rates. But whether the additional eye candy is worth a couple hundred additional bucks is the question. Please continue to comment and suggest. AND, if you like first person shooters but don’t have Tribes: Ascend, you are missing out on a great game and a great deal. And “NO”, I don’t work for Hi-Rez.

Thanks again. What a great site this is!

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
WOW guys! Thanks for all of the advice. First thing I am going to do is upgrade to Win7 and add more RAM. I currently have 4 gigs (2x2), with two more open slots. I had purchased a 4gig stick before realizing I couldn’t use any more in XP, so the plan is to get another 4gig stick and use those two in the two open slots for a total of 12 gigs. Please let me know if you think that is a bad idea to mix the different sizes of RAM and whether I should rather just use the two 4 gig sticks. Next I will overclock the CPU a bit, as it is my understanding that the Phenom II black edition is very overclockable and easy to do (I have never overclocked anything). It is also my understanding that this particular CPU can be turned into a quad core (by unlocking two additional cores) very easily. I read that when I bought it. But I am skeptical that that will help with regards to this game, or any games, for that matter. After that, I will then consider upgrading the GPU. The thing is, I can run T:A with very acceptable FPS, but I have to turn the textures, and perhaps the graphic options, down quite a bit to avoid the “out of video memory” crash. Like most gamers, I want more eye candy w/o losing frame rates. But whether the additional eye candy is worth a couple hundred additional bucks is the question. Please continue to comment and suggest. AND, if you like first person shooters but don’t have Tribes: Ascend, you are missing out on a great game and a great deal. And “NO”, I don’t work for Hi-Rez.

Thanks again. What a great site this is!

You can mix ram densities, just put the same size ram in the right slots, A_1 with B_1 and A_2 with B_2 (or however your board has it).

You have a chance to unlock your chip, though it's easy it's not always assured and even if it does unlock it could be unstable. I've had three 555's and none of them have unlocked anything. If you're cpu limited and the game is dual threaded an extra core can help by doing background OS tasks, the gain is noticeable at low fps but obviously worthless after a point. It can help in some other games that will leverage more than 2 cores as well.

Phenom II's typically OC well between 3.6 and 4GHz with proper cooling. Most mine did around 4 on air, and between 4.3 and 4.5 on water (245/555's/965/1090T).

You run out of memory with 1GB? What resolution are you playing at?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Hd 7850 hands down for my suggestion. If you want to experiment a little you can get Windows 8 which will be offered for $40 through Microsoft I believe on the 26th. It would save you some money instead of buying a copy of Windows 7. :)

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Unless something has changed NV is way faster in this game
http://www.techspot.com/review/522-tribes-ascend-performance-test/
Grab a Gtx 660

Nice find Jaydip! In multiplayer one can get drops of 10 - 30 fps depending on map size and game play intensity ('disco parties' - lots of fractals, are the worst). I want a 27" for my next monitor, I better save my pennies for a high end video card (maybe I'll just go to a 24" just so my fps in games don't implode).

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
AMD must just be having a lot of trouble with the game, it's not very hard to run and it doesn't require more than 1GB of vram at 1080p.

I clocked my 470 to 750 core, and 3600Mhz on the memory (memory is slower than the 560 Ti 448 - I can't hit that unless I add more voltage) but overall it should be pretty close to the MSI card I linked before.

Anyways, I'm not fimilar with the game, I played the end of one match with the max settings (as far as I could tell) w/o vsync or blur and no fps smoothing and got about 800 Mb of vram usage in the first area, and 700 max in the second. I was doing team death match, I'm not exactly sure what you're playing.

My i3-540 is at 4.1GHz and is a slight bottleneck with my gpu overclocked.

If you aren't planning to force any advanced AA methods with your 555 clocked to 4GHz I'd suggest a mid range last gen card.

The game itself used less than 2GB of physical memory during gameplay, though it could be caching some.

tribes_zps4cd87413.png

Overall fps were probably around 80 on avg, never dipped below 60. This is on Windows 8 with my primary sig rig less one 470.

Nice find Jaydip! In multiplayer one can get drops of 10 - 30 fps depending on map size and game play intensity ('disco parties' - lots of fractals, are the worst). I want a 27" for my next monitor, I better save my pennies for a high end video card (maybe I'll just go to a 24" just so my fps in games don't implode).

What maps/modes?

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com

Easy

Grab a 460 1GB and youll never look back. Youll get 60fps on that game high settings and be happy. gl

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
What maps/modes?

I typically run a medium/low mix @1680. I have the worst slow downs in C&H - Outskits 3P $ Sulfur Cove with a full to fairly full server. CTF maps are generally better. I've only played TDM a few times and don't recall what the gameplay experience was like.