Best time to drive through Atlanta?

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
I'll be coming through Atlanta on I-75 heading South sometime Monday, what are the timeframes I should avoid if I want to make it straight through without stopping? Are there any good routes to just bypass all together without losing time? Thanks, I'd appreciate the advice

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I was told by a coworker if you aren't through there by 3:30pm, forget it, you're going to be sitting there a long time.
In most areas 9pm to 6am are usually low traffic times.

Edit: Leave 2 hours earlier then. From the way that coworker was talking you will be sitting in traffic for a looooong time.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Freejack2
I was told by a coworker if you aren't through there by 3:30pm, forget it, you're going to be sitting there a long time.

Atlanta traffic is pretty sickening from about 4:30 to 5AM on until after rush our. Best time would be 10PM to 3AM IMO.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Yeah, don't come around 5PM for sure unless you like to cuss. The best time is Sunday 3-5AM, but that doesn't help you.

KK

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by: KK
Yeah, don't come around 5PM for sure unless you like to cuss. The best time is Sunday 3-5AM, but that doesn't help you.

KK

sure doesnt...can you recommend any routes around Atlanta?

Ne0

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
If you have a passenger with you, the HOV lanes aren't too bad.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
Originally posted by: KK

KK

sure doesnt...can you recommend any routes around Atlanta?

Delta :)

KK

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Freejack2

Edit: Leave 2 hours earlier then. From the way that coworker was talking you will be sitting in traffic for a looooong time.

I can confirm that. The interstates at rush hour are effectively parking lots.

Dave

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I think it may be reasonably thick at 5 but I don't think you'll be running into bumper to bumper or anything. Obviously ideally you'd be there 2-4. That city is a traffic nightmare.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I am on the roads here mostly from 3am until late morning and the traffic is fairly light early on and then gets crazy around 6 am. One word of advice: If you get here around 5pm go around I-285 west. You will miss a good portion of the traffic until you get to the south side. Then you will hit about an hour's worth of traffic.

What you should do is stop around Barrett Pkwy and have some dinner. Its about 20 min north of Atl. That way you can eat, and then get back on the road around 7 or so and avoid the bulk of the idiocy. Southbound traffic isnt bad until you get downtown. From there it is sheer misery all the way down to about Griffin(40 miles or so) Of course this does not take into account the usual burning/wrecked/flipped over/stalled vehicle or the burning/flipped/jacknifed/dangling from an overpass semi.

Always a laugh a minute around here.

Peace

Lounatik