Best thermal compound to use for long-life application?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My PS3 (purchased at launch) failed today and I need to get the GPU/CPU reballed. For repair I'm going with a guy on eBay because, unlike Sony, he will use more flexible lead solder balls that are less likely to do this again in the future. AFAIK, even Sony's refurbs are RoHS-compliant so that the company as a whole can stick that feather in their cap.

Anyway, after completing the reball procedure, the eBay guy uses Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I've read in the past that the makers of AS5 expect you to re-apply every 6 months to a year... at least for older varieties of Arctic Silver. It has something to do with it drying out and breaking down due to being formulated for enthusiasts who usually reapply more often than that anyway.

I'm getting it fixed this way because I expect it to be permanent and I don't expect or want to be re-opening it to reapply anything... ever. I'm a game collector and I still have my consoles from 30 years ago, which still work, so this is important to me and I want my PS3 to still work in a similar time frame. I'm more interested in longevity than in maximum performance, so what compound would give me a good balance of that? My oldest consoles still have the white stuff smeared inside. :)

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
I would stick with what's already applied and not worry about it.

I don't think you should ever need to re-apply AS5.

Daemas

Feb 20, 2010
crap. now i feel like taking apart my ps3 and reapplying the thermal paste and putting a decent fan on the thing.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I has AS on CPU's for years without changing and been fine. Dont worry about it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I has AS on CPU's for years without changing and been fine. Dont worry about it.

AS hasn't even existed for the time frame I am speaking of.

For $7, this will walk all over the AS5, esp. considering even the TX-2 > AS5. Not electrically conductivity makes it safer as well.

If it's anything like the stuff that came with my Thermaltake Ultra-120 Extreme, it isn't going to last long either. I'd prefer this thing to last a lifetime without the thermal compound breaking down or needing replacement. Any word on that stuff's longevity?