Best tablet in price range $100 - $150

Donanza

Sep 13, 2015
Hello,
I want to buy a tablet in this price rage, $100 - $150.
The tablet should be good for reading ebooks, drawing and gaming.
Also good battery life.
Which model would you suggest?
I saw Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, but looks really old, since 2013.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I have the 7", 8GB Galaxy Tab A, which runs about $125 on Amazon, and it does everything I need it to and more. Takes an microSD card, is fast enough for some games, but I use it chiefly for reading and the occasional Google/Wikipedia lookup. I put a glass screen protector on it, and keep it in a case that magnetically closes, so I feel safe taking out of the house.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Frankly, the state of android tablets is pathetic.
They pretty much all have anemic SoCs, low resolution, and worse of all, only 1-2GB RAM (which lags out many things) While the Galaxy Tab A has good battery life, everything else about it is a solid meh.

OP, you say drawing, and you just aren't going to find anything in that price range.
If you are serious for drawing, then look at the Lenovo Yoga Book - FHD 10.1" Android Tablet - 2 in 1 Tablet ($275 at amazon right now), that is what you need, and yes, it also plays games, and has good resolution for reading things.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I have the 7", 8GB Galaxy Tab A, which runs about $125 on Amazon, and it does everything I need it to and more. Takes an microSD card, is fast enough for some games, but I use it chiefly for reading and the occasional Google/Wikipedia lookup. I put a glass screen protector on it, and keep it in a case that magnetically closes, so I feel safe taking out of the house.

Does your Tab A support exFAT on the microSD card?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Amazon Fire tablets are almost a default choice in the price range quoted unless you happen upon some other bargain.

Reactions: Ken g6

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Amazon Fire tablets are almost a default choice in the price range quoted unless you happen upon some other bargain.
Amazon sells good hardware for the cost since they can lock you into their ecosystem. As long as you don't mind that, I would pick a Fire tablet. If you do mind, I'm sure they can be rooted.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Does your Tab A support exFAT on the microSD card?
Dunno. I would suspect this is an OS feature, but I read that the SDXC cards support it, so then would the device have to support that card. I can't find anything on Samsung's site that indicates this.

Anyhoo, the Tab A has (by far) the best battery life of any device I've yet owned. It's not the fastest horse in the race, but it fits my needs perfectly. Biggest downside is you are limited (?) to Lollipop, with no updates available.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The absolute minimum price for a tablet for drawing is going to be around $350. For something more usable, plan on $500

If you can drop that requirement, you can get Amazon's Fire HD 8 for around $120 with 32gb of storage. That's about the best you can do in your price range.

sonitravel09

Jun 25, 2014
i bought a asus TF101 3 yrs ago for $220. it was a 10 inch tablet. still working even though i've dropped it on the floor a few times in the last 3 yrs.