Best tablet for the elderly?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I need recommendations for a good tablet for someone who is suffering from macular degeneration. The screen needs to be a decent size, be able to prop itself up (though I'm sure there's thousands of tablet covers that can achieve this), have a very high brightness/contrast, and be able to support headphones and USB-capable devices.

My dad is suffering from both macular degeneration and kidney failure and has nothing to do while he's in dialysis so I'm hoping to find a tablet that he can use while he sits there for hours. Not only that, but I recently purchased a 50" Visio TV for my parents in hopes he would be able to see the TV better but it's still not bright enough and it's also too far away and he can't make out text and finer details. He's also been an avid gamer his entire life (both my parents are actually) but due to his failing eye sight he's unable to play anything he hasn't played a thousand times over and readily knows by heart. I'd like to be able to put emulators and ROMs on it if it's big enough he can see the screen, but failing that, just have something where he can plug in headphones and watch movies on. I've looked at a lot at our local shops (Best Buy/Target/etc.) but none of them would work. So I'm hoping there's a good brand or some sort of device that will accommodate my request. His birthday is coming up soon and I'd like to have this ready by then, but it can always be a late gift if needed.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I saw a few at Best Buy but none of the ones available suited my needs. It's the reason I started looking online but I know there's thousands out there. I'll look up some Lenovo's on Newegg and see what I can find.

Edit: https://www.newegg.com/p/0EJ-001J-002U1?Item=0EJ-001J-002U1 Looks like something that will suit my needs. I'll keep looking around and still open to any suggestions. I am willing to spend upwards of $1,000 for a good quality tablet.

Last edited:

yoko_ono

Sep 3, 2020
I would go for an iPad. The sizes can be adjusted easily and in my opinion it's a bit more user friendly than android devices. THe menues and everything just make more sense for elderly people.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I need recommendations for a good tablet for someone who is suffering from macular degeneration. The screen needs to be a decent size, be able to prop itself up (though I'm sure there's thousands of tablet covers that can achieve this), have a very high brightness/contrast, and be able to support headphones and USB-capable devices.

My dad is suffering from both macular degeneration and kidney failure and has nothing to do while he's in dialysis so I'm hoping to find a tablet that he can use while he sits there for hours. Not only that, but I recently purchased a 50" Visio TV for my parents in hopes he would be able to see the TV better but it's still not bright enough and it's also too far away and he can't make out text and finer details. He's also been an avid gamer his entire life (both my parents are actually) but due to his failing eye sight he's unable to play anything he hasn't played a thousand times over and readily knows by heart. I'd like to be able to put emulators and ROMs on it if it's big enough he can see the screen, but failing that, just have something where he can plug in headphones and watch movies on. I've looked at a lot at our local shops (Best Buy/Target/etc.) but none of them would work. So I'm hoping there's a good brand or some sort of device that will accommodate my request. His birthday is coming up soon and I'd like to have this ready by then, but it can always be a late gift if needed.

Wishing the best for your dad!

I would seriously consider an iPad. Yeah, you can't slap ROMs on it, but the iPad will also have a richer game ecosystem in general.

More importantly, it'll likely be easier to use, pack a bright display, and carry loads of accessibility options to help with your dad's vision. You don't have to go all-out, but the current standard iPad or iPad Air will be fine (they still have headphone jacks).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wishing the best for your dad!

I would seriously consider an iPad. Yeah, you can't slap ROMs on it, but the iPad will also have a richer game ecosystem in general.

More importantly, it'll likely be easier to use, pack a bright display, and carry loads of accessibility options to help with your dad's vision. You don't have to go all-out, but the current standard iPad or iPad Air will be fine (they still have headphone jacks).
My dad doesn't care about mobile games though. It's the older NES/SNES/PSX games he wants to be able to play again. I've looked into ipads and they lack the functionality that I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My dad doesn't care about mobile games though. It's the older NES/SNES/PSX games he wants to be able to play again. I've looked into ipads and they lack the functionality that I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Put mame on an android tablet? MAME4droid seems to be popular. Or maybe a Surface 4, plenty powerful for mame

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm technically barely elderly at 65 as of Oct 2019. My S4 is showing its age a bit too.